Endmyopia sales conversations

I’ve had the experience, and heard lots of others have the experience, that “no one cares” about improving their vision. I believe that we, as EM advocates, can hone our conversational skills so that we can successfully persuade more people to take up the practice of EM.

I’m coming at this from the perspective of someone who’s done door-to-door sales and has successfully created clients beginning from “cold” contacts. This is very much a work in progress, so feel free to critique as you read.

Step one: the approach -
"You probably haven’t heard of this, but did you know that there’s a natural method for impriving your vision and reducing eye strain?

Potential responses from the person we’re approaching:
“I haven’t heard that”
“Nearsightedness is genetic” / “everyone in my family wears glasses”
“Why hasn’t my optometrist told me about this?”
“This wouldn’t work for me”
“What is it?” “How long does it take?”

At this stage, we’re not expecting anyone to sign up. Questions, disbelief, skepticism, and objections are normal. We’re simply trying to open conversations. The mistake here is to start going in to the explanations and the science. I can say from 10 years in sales, no one cares about your product / service or how much you like it. What motivates people to action is pain points. Thus, the next step ought to be looking for people’s pain points and asking questions around them.

Some potential pain points:

1. The cost of glasses / contacts
  2. The frustration of eye strain
  3. The fear of how much worse my vision will be at my next optometrist appointment
  4. Not being able to see when I wake up in the morning

Again here, I’m looking for simplicity and connecting with the real, daily experiences of people who wear glasses but have never thought of improving their vision. We have extensive explanations here about the science and many aspects of EM. I’m looking for conversational elegance that gets people thinking and connects with the day to day lives. Once I have a good sense of the pain points, I’ll work up a set of questions and how we could get people thinking about jumping into EM.

All input is welcome! @annafromatlanta, looking for your input, too!

10 Likes

I like to ask, Have you ever wanted to quit wearing glasses?
Also I refer to EM as eye therapy now

5 Likes

Reduced lens therapy.

3 Likes

I find the other is a more accepted term and not many understand reduced lenses but that does come up later if they want to know more. Still waiting on some of my coworkers to ask questions. I did catch one of them taking off his glasses when using his phone.

Come to think of it at least 2 guys changed their habits.

4 Likes

Good stuff in both cases

3 Likes

Yeah, hubby has started doing this, and started paying attention to hydration as well. He finds he has fewer problems late in the day when well hydrated.

6 Likes

@NottNott, @gemilymez, @Sean, @jakey, @Laurens I’m writing up this guide that I call “endmyopia sales guide” and I plan to do videos on it, too. I don’t have a lot of “discretionary screen time” to work on this, so it’s going to take a while, but here’s the first bit. I welcome feedback:

Endmyopia Sales Guide

This guide is written for people who are very enthusiastic about endmyopia (EM hereafter) and would like to skillfully share it with other people with the intention of getting them to become EM students. I’m calling it a “sales” guide because when we ask people to become EM students, even though we’re not asking for money, we are asking them to both change their beliefs about their eyes and their habits regarding how they use their eyes on a daily basis. Both are significant commitments. Given the striking similarity between selling intangible services and trying to get people to become EM students, I find “sales guide” to be an appropriate description.

If this describes you, and you have been frustrated that when you tell people about EM, no one seems to care, this guide is for you. It will present a structured approach that allows you to have comfortable conversations with people about their eyes that allows them to discover EM at their own pace.

PRELIMINARIES:

I am basing this guide on the training I have personally invested in and utilize in my financial planning practice called the Sandler Sales System (https://www.sandler.com/sandler-selling-system/) developed by David Sandler. The basic premise is that successful selling (or in this instance, successfully getting people to become EM students) is based not simply on the behavior of telling people about EM , but on our own attitudes that accompany that behavior and that techniques (what we say and how we say it) we use.

Many participants on the Le Meow Endmyopia forum and on the Facebook page have expressed frustration that no one they tell about EM seems to care or to take any action. From there, it’s easy to assume that people really don’t care, that we are no good at presenting EM, or both. This will be the first point for our discussion about selling EM. Simply telling people about EM only works if we happen to run into a person who is either already looking for vision improvement or is receptive to it, which is usually a small minority of nearsighted people. Please take consolation knowing that the failure of this approach isn’t exclusive to EM. It actually doesn’t work for anything. As you undertake this journey, remember that people aren’t expecting you to bring this up, they don’t know anyone who’s done it, and they believe that their eyes are genetically flawed and broken. The invitation to consider those beliefs as flawed is so very strange that it’s our responsibility do it in a way that connects with people’s day to day experiences and challenges of life first rather than immediately challenging their beliefs and asking them to significantly change their habits.

Here’s an example: try and remember a time when someone approached you about a product or service that they were extremely enthusiastic about, but you didn’t care and didn’t want to know about it. If it were close friend, we might hear the person out based on the friendship, but if the person continued to bombard us with the religious zeal of a newfound convert, eventually we will tune it all out. Some of us in the EM community run the risk of doing the same thing. Don’t be that person.

We’ll begin with a discussion of the attitudes needed to successfully initiate conversations with people about EM that lead to new EM students, then move on to the behaviors involved (telling people you know and people you don’t know about EM both who seem like they might be receptive and those who might not) and then conclude with the techniques involved (what to say and how to say it). What you’ll get is a system that will prepare you to confidently have a comfortable conversation with anyone of your choosing about EM and handle all aspects of that conversation, including objections that will lead to either a “yes, I want to be an EM student” or a “no, this isn’t for me” and eliminate the stalls and non-committal answers.

What’s required of you is the commitment to practice and thoroughly learn the conversation. The best sales people role play to develop complete mastery of their product or service and how to talk about it so that they’re prepared for any situation that comes up. In practical terms, this means that if someone jumps out of the bushes at you and shouts “My optometrist says that myopia is genetic and you can’t improve eyesight,” “why should I do this if will take 8 years when I can just go lasik” or any other objection, that you won’t be phased, you’ll be ready to appropriately and calmly redirect the person and find out if there’s an opportunity there. It also requires you to adopt appropriate beliefs that will support your desire to share this wonderful discovery of EM with others. Let’s get started!

11 Likes

coughs extremely loudly

This will be great for the wiki.

Okay will expound a bit. Wikis can have ‘userspace’ essays, more opinionated pieces from the view of one person, rather than the collective view of the wiki as a whole. Essays can be promoted, but will not be ‘Articles’. The article on this topic would be ‘Talking about EM to others’. This would be your essay, something like User:MattEly/Selling EM. Still can make the essay prominent for instance, as long as it’s clearly marked as an essay.

It’s gotta be chocked full of goodies like this :star_struck:

2 Likes

I’ll look forward to getting it out at what pace I can.

That sounds extremely interesting. Looking forward to it, Matt!

1 Like

Thanks - I have to chip away at it a paragraph at a time because of work and family taking most of my time, so it could take a while.

The concepts are all in my head, though, just have to get them organized and the words right

1 Like

I really dig this, great idea. I’ve run into the same thing with both talking about EM and also sugary/highly processed foods. It’ll be interesting to see if I (/we) can become more proficient at getting people interested out of self motivation using proper conversational skills.

I’m looking forward to the parts that are to follow Matthew. I can practice these techniques with my patients regarding dental stuff that’s clear-cut for me already.

4 Likes

Appreciate it! I’m totally on board with the sugary / highly processed foods. Over the past 6 years, I’ve gotten those out of my diet, added in a little fasting, found a resistance training routine that works for me, and learned about my eyes. I’m not sure me from 7 years ago would recognize me now. It’s all that stuff together that I want to share with people.

3 Likes

I could’ve written the exact same what you just did, brothers in arms here! :+1:

1 Like

Good stuff Matt. I’m sure there is a better approach than whatever I’m doing.

2 Likes

Thanks - more to come…

Got way off track with this! Life brought me some problems last year, but problems can cause growth and Im feeling great now. The next section is about attitudes. Before pasting that in, I also want to say that the context here about sales is about talking with individuals. Marketing is about SEO, podcasts, and getting the word out to a large number of people. Sales is about bringing up conversations with individuals to see if EM is for them.

ATTITUDES:

The starting point, and the most important attitude to adopt when striving to create conversations about EM is its immense value. EM students get this, but when sharing EM with others who don’t seem to care, we can quickly get discouraged and consequently forget just how powerful EM is. As an initial reflection on this value, I’ll borrow from a LASIK pitch: “there’s nothing as simple that you can do that will improve your minute to minute quality of life as much as being able to see clearly without glasses.”

Let’s expand on that. In addition to relief of pain and discomfort in our eyes, we gradually gain an inner confidence from the realization that our eyes aren’t broken. This leads to asking the question – “if I can fix my vision, which I previously believed couldn’t be fixed, what else can I fix that I currently believe I can’t?” We learn how to research other medical issues if we have them and gain the self-empowerment that accompanies that skill. As we change our habits and break our screen addiction, we discover new hobbies and things in life we would have never known. We learn, or maybe remember, that life isn’t on screens. Life is outside (@gemilymez -"outside is the fun place), it’s in the eyes of other human beings, and in the beauty of our own minds and hearts. Clear vision would be enough, but as we progress on the journey, we realize that EM positively impacts every area of our lives.

With that attitude, how could we NOT share it? Let this inner confidence quietly speak to those willing to hear it. In my sales training, we asked the question, “if you had a cure for cancer, wouldn’t you go out and tell other people?” Indeed, we do have an obligation to share EM with others, yet there’s at least two problems that show up as soon as we begin, which I will illustrate with two stories.

First, we’re telling people something that usually conflicts their belief patterns about vision. While I don’t know if there’s a cure for cancer, I do know the story of Ignaz Sammelweis, a Hungarian scientist and physicist, who was an early advocate of hand washing. In the 1840s, the incidence of fevers that led to death following childbirth could be drastically cut if the doctors washed their hands in chlorine solutions. At Sammelweis’ recommendation, his clinic adopted handwashing. It worked, and the and death rate for new mothers was dramatically reduced, but since his arguments conflicted with the then current medical beliefs, he was fired and ultimately committed to a mental institution. All this, even though he was right.

Comparing this to EM, we can see that, like Sammelwis, we’re right about the causes of myopia and the method for reversing it. Yet, we’re speaking in contradiction to what most people believe about vision, so many people simply won’t accept what we have to say. Don’t despair! We not taking on the optometry establishment, we’re talking with individuals and giving them the chance to opt out at every stage of the conversation. Later, we’ll examine the techniques for having these conversations. For now, it’s enough to remember our value while respecting people’s beliefs and starting points, and to acknowledge that we can sound a little crazy when challenging the mainstream beliefs.

The second problem in our discussion of attitudes required when trying to share EM with others is twofold: asking for too much commitment and failing to qualify (find out if the people we’re approaching will actually do the work needed to be successful with vision improvement). My sales training illustrated this point with the story of a young man who decides, one day, that he’s ready to get married. He has heard that Sally is a nice young lady, so he works up the courage to walk up to her house, knock and her day, and ask her, having never met her, to marry him. She, of course, politely says “no” and shuts the door. This young man, for a while, keeps asking strangers to marry him, who all reject his proposals. Eventually, he concludes that he’ll never get married and gives up asking.

Picking this apart, we can see three problems with the way that we ask people to become EM students. First, asking for the full commitment at first doesn’t make any sense. There’s lots that this young man would need to learn about Sally before he would know if she’s even looking to get married. So, too, are the things we need to know about people before it’s appropriate to ask them for the lifetime commitment of changing their visual habits. Second, he doesn’t know enough about Sally to know if she would be a good partner for him or if he would be good for her. In EM, we need to know that people are a good fit for it. Third, after a number of failed attempts, our young man has incorrectly concluded that he must not be good enough for marriage because of how he’s gone about asking. As a human being, the young man is not a failure. He has all the dignity and value of all other human beings. As a suitor, he’s terrible and has completely failed. Everything about how he asked is wrong. The young ladies weren’t rejecting him, they were rejecting the ridiculous way he approached them. Connection to EM? When everyone says “no,” it’s easy to conclude that we’re no good, question our self-worth or start to think we’re no good at talking about EM. These are both false.

As we near the end of our discussion on attitudes, here’s the lessons I’d like to highlight / summarize:

1. Reflect on, and really absorb into yourself the value you have to bring
  2. Only ask people for small commitments that people can reasonably say “yes” to without overcommitting themselves.
  3. Before expecting that people will become EM students, learn enough about them to see if they will change their habits and lives in the ways needed to succeed
  4. Separate your self-worth and value as a human being from your skill as an EM advocate. People rejecting EM is not a rejection of you

At this point, if you can take these attitudes on, you’re ready to set out on your journey as an EM advocate. If you’re like me, you might still experience fear, which is normal and perfectly okay. Accept it, respect it, and do the work of sharing this wonderful knowledge with people whose lives may well be changed because you cared enough to take a chance and tell them.

9 Likes

Just when I required additional motivation, your article appears :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! There’s plenty more to say, it just takes time to get it all into words.

2 Likes

A new low today! Have been trying to connect with the local school/ getting in touch with one of the trustees since the past few months.

His 2 nephews have online school which has led to an increase in myopia YET no one has the time or inclination to look up the EM method. SMH.

Before there was the glazed look. Now they don’t even want to make contact (eye or otherwise). Will people not care about their vision till eyeballs start popping out of the sockets! Where are the people who really really really desperately want to improve their eyesight???!!!

(Short despaired rant :frowning: to the only people who will understand!)

4 Likes