Equalising - how hard is it?

Hello Hello!
For anyone who has been following along, you may know that I am currently working on equalising!

It has been a challenge (and I may have come across a solution, but can’t say for sure yet), and I was wondering about everyone else’s experiences of equalising:

Was it hard?
Did it take extra long?
Did you do anything differently than for a normal binocular reduction?

Would love to hear about it and learn from everyone else’s experiences. Thanks.

5 Likes

Hey Gemily. I’m hesitant about sharing my experience as I’m a bad example and didn’t follow the plan. I read everything I could find and listened to all of Jake’s video. I had a pretty good understanding of things before I started.

The thing that stuck with me was Jake saying do your own research and make your own decisions.

So I chose a brute force method and shocked my visual cortex. I was at -2.75 and -3.0 with -.5 and -.75 cylinder. I despised cylinder correction, gone! I felt naturally my eyes should be equalised, done! So -2.75 was my first normalized.

Yes things were strange for a few weeks. It wasn’t easy, but it felt right. 5 weeks later I was seeing 20/20 and 20/25. I would do the same again knowing what I know now.

To answer your questions:. Yes, No and No.

4 Likes

I’m doing it all wrong. I’ve not gotten beyond ciliary spasm release, and my contacts are equalized… I wasn’t expecting that, but I don’t feel I need the differentials later in each week and took them off…

2 Likes

It’s a pain. Even worse than straight drops.

I find that the full strength eye takes over, so I consciously have to be aware all the time. Frequent “checking” to make sure my right eye is working. Daily patching.

I walk around with one eye closed so much people must think I’m an incognito pirate.

Even after the weaker eye is “ready” for the next reduction, I often find it has “bad days.” And I have a hard time knowing if both eyes are equal, and the difference is just ocular dominance, or if they’re not equalized.

Sorry for all the “encouragement,” but my recommendation is to hang in there until they’re really, really close. That’s where my head and heart are at now.

8 Likes

Equalizing is difficult because one eye can see 20/20 while the other one has some blur.
My situation is different because only one eye is myopic and I use different glasses for indoors and outdoors (I find that normalized are too strong for indoors so I use weaker glasses to provide some blur challenge when watching TV).
Earlier this year, I tried to equalize by watching TV with -0.25 glasses (I use -1s for outdoors).
After 3 months, I thought it would be OK to start watching TV without glasses because the -0.25s were providing less blur challenge. But I think I negatively affected progress because the blur challenge was too much without glasses- especially at night time.
Currently I am using -0.5s to watch TV (they give my weaker right eye clarity) but I’m planning to go down to -0.25 again to resume equalizing. This time I will wait until I can see clearly with the -0.25s for several weeks before I can stop using them- I was too excited to stop using glasses early when I tried equalizing the first time.

1 Like

Whew if you have 1 eye that always moves quicker to clarity and that is the lower dioptor equalizing can be a challenge. As is my case. The left needs to catch up still and when clarity begins in both eyes but you close the better eye and see blur… errr. You realize that it hasnt caught up yet.
What I found was better than patching was that I would close my weaker eye and see clarity and then open it and I could tell that my weak eye was getting better clarity. Now in the lower dioptors I am not sure which way will get me there. But hey I am going to figure it out.

2 Likes

Same here 9 am also trying to equalise and i am stuck from couple of month
Here
Sometime I try hard to focus and get pain in my worst eye
now after reading this post now I understand that we humans actually see like this and it’s pretty normal would like to know more if I am correct

2 Likes

I guess I have the “advantage” of the vitreous detachment in the refractively stronger eye, so my “weaker” eye leads visual acuity awareness.

2 Likes