Eye alignment issue?

So my son was prescribed in May for astigmatism but the doctor said given his age (and the fact he wouldn’t be driving at night) he could just as easily go without the glasses for now. And he has, hasn’t wore them except for that min or two during fitting. I discovered Endmyopia right after this appointment and he began practicing better vision habits (work in progress) Then the school this year apparently used an autorefractor to do vision screening this year and based on those numbers (though I know they are not always truest) he has cut his prescription by half in the 5 months since. My concern is should I get him to do something extra for what may be turning into a wandering eye? Thoughts? Experiences? Links to applicable endmyopia content?

First, on the refraction: if I had these results, I’d consider my vision improvement journey done.

Autorefractors tend to overminus, but don’t usually make mistakes the other way around. So unless something was wrong with the machine, there’s no myopia to be found here, and no noteworthy astigmatism either. The machine is apparently set to 0.25 increments, so all deviations are the smallest that this measurement resolves.

Eyes aren’t static cameras. They change a bit depending on sleep, eating, etc. If you want to address small errors like these, you’d have to gather much more data than just the occasional eye doctor visit. Within the precision you’re working with, these eyes are perfect.

The poor alignment might be something to work on if it really is a thing. Is it though? Why didn’t anyone try to sell you prism correction then? This is just one sample while looking at an autorefractor; I can probably misalign my eyes on purpose by much more than that.

You mention age, but the age field is blank. For young children, especially below age six, such numbers can indicate a risk for myopia, as small children are normally hyperopic.

Bottom line: I don’t understand the problem. Does he have bad stereoscopic vision, or do you have any other indication that alignment is actually an issue, and wasn’t just off that one moment looking into the machine?

2 Likes

He is 8 and as far as I am concerned as long as he keeps better vision habits he never will wear glasses. This was a school screening and they recommended a follow up with an eye doctor that doubtless would then sell me on everything they could… As I said he cut his “prescription” in half in 5 months with precious little effort and it was negligible to begin with. My concern is the misaligned bit of the left eye, I was wondering if I should be doing something with him to help with that. And what? I guess maybe it’s a convergence thing? Endmyopia is a lot harder to navigate with the search engines not bringing up results readily… it’s maybe nothing to worry about but I want to stay on top of it with him. My daughter (almost 10) I didn’t know better soon enough and now it’s an uphill battle. It’s been so much harder with her since her eyes were already in trouble (-2.75 and -3 with cylinder at May appointment, though she hasn’t worn them at all) before I found Endmyopia. She was wearing her glasses non stop in school even though they were supposed to just be for the board, but what could I do? I wasn’t there. Now she is in a very stubborn stage fighting me tooth and nail on all of it even to the point that she refuses to wear her original prescription at all (-1.5 in both) and though she denies it, I am sure she is quite blur adapted at this point. Point is I’d like to head off anything with my son early, I already have too much ground to recover for myself and my daughter without his vision going south too.

Re: your daughter, don’t fight it. Incentivize what you want… Make it a game, part of her allowance chores, give her a bonus when you see her doing close work without glasses.

They’re both young. I’ll bet with proper habits, their eyes will naturally return to emmetropia.

Watch it for a couple years, and keep explaining the benefits of using the unaided healthy eye. And when they’re teens, they’ll not want nerd goggles. Let them know now you won’t be buying contacts but the cheapest internet goggles. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Re: the convergence, the magic eye books can be a fun way to practice it. Beyond that, you need training with a vision therapist or behavioral optometrist.

Good luck!