Eye Test Tomorrow

Hello, I’m going to go to an “optometrist” or whatever to test my eyes tomorrow and get new glasses. While I’m at that, should I ask for another prescription for “computer time” since it “strains my eyes”? And what are some things I should and should not do? For instance, maybe no AF the day before…(idk)
Tips please and thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

This indicates you might not know what differentials are - try reading some resources, maybe Differentials - EndMyopia Wiki is a good start. If your optometrist is willing to give you glasses 1-2 undercorrected from your full-strength glasses, go for it. Otherwise you’ll need to find a supportive optometrist or buy online.

2 Likes

I understand what differentials are, especially thanks to your Endmyopia Beginner Guide video. I just wasn’t not sure if they can give you two prescriptions or not. Thanks

1 Like

I’d say the most important is to resist any and all temptations to influence the results. E.g. confirming “clear” to something that still has some blur in fear of getting stronger prescription, saying “look the same” if the images are not exactly the same, etc (you can end up with incorrectly defined axis in cyl!)
And definitely no AFing during the test. You can AF the day before but if you overdo it then your eyes may get measured for worse than they actually are.

As for the computer glasses: most optos will refuse or even the most understanding ones will only give you max 0.75D lower glasses for computers which will be half way between normalised and differentials so not much use for EM.

If you mention that you feel your distance glasses are too strong in front of the computer with online learning, most probably you will get tested for near vision which I guess will be OK and then you will be ignored on this comment or maybe the opto will only correct you to 20/20 and not to 20/15 as is the common practice.

So just aim for a prescription that the opto believes is for you. You don’t have to buy the glasses but the opto’s measurement will be a good baseline. What seems to work is asking the opto what they corrected you to (if they correct to 20/20 or to better). What they will most probably not share with you is the PD but you can be a bit pushy on that part.
If the opto is an unfriendly one who is against anything lower than the maximum-night-driving-at-the-end-of-day-for-the-very-tired-eyes corrections, then mentioning anything about EM will just motivate them to make the full corrections a definite overcorrection for you.

4 Likes

So if I got this or anything else except for 1.5D lower, does that mean I shouldn’t use them for close up then?

What do you mean by this?

Thanks

Most likely, they will have a Snellen chart especially designed for close up (near vision) testing and they will use that to see how well you can see with whatever prescription they give you. I actually asked for this as well last time I was at the opto, and she ended up giving me a prescription that was 0.5D less than the full prescription she gave me. I ended up using that one as a normalized for about 3 weeks :grinning:.
@BiancaK is pretty much spot on with what to expect at the opto, i n my opinion.

I actually mentioned briefly to my opto what I am doing to work on my vision, without going into EM details, and she nodded: “yeah, yeah”, while looking at me as if to say I am crazy, and all my efforts will be in vain. :innocent:

5 Likes

What you get from the opto as lowered prescription will be most probably too strong to be used as differentials. As @SeeTheLight says, if you get a 0.5D lower prescription that may be used as normalised (if the cyl is not overcorrected in it)

People who need bifocals or reading glasses are typically the ones in the opto world who say that “the full distance glasses are too much for the monitor”. But you are too young to be tested for reading glasses.
In practice the test for near vision means that you will be given a card with tiny letters to read and you’ll be asked to read that text with the full correction on. If you can do it, then you don’t need reading glasses or bifocals, your eyes are not getting old yet, and your request to have less correction for the monitor will be most probably disregarded. You’ll be told that you will just have to get used to the new glasses and it will take a few weeks. (By the way they are totally right about it. It will take a few weeks to get used to stronger corrections, since it takes a few weeks to get used to lower corrections, too, with EM. They are not lying, just doing it in the wrong direction…)

7 Likes

Can they give you two pairs of glasses/prescriptions? One for 20/20 and another one that’s slightly under corrected? Or do they just give you one prescription 20/20 or one slightly undercorrected?

She agreed to give me two pairs of glasses, on the account of what I told her that I want to have a slight blur at close up work. But I got tested the way @BiancaK described. Not helpful for what we do here.

Here is the trick through. I an in US, The insurance only pays for one set of lenses. Biggest mistake of my life, being at the beginning of EM trip, I told them to get order one of them through the insurance, and I still paid something like $130 for it (high index lenses, mind you). I had a frame for the second pair, and I asked them to use it, and ordered from them just the lenses. The insurance does not cover the second pair at all, so I ended up paying ~$400 for the lenses alone :face_with_head_bandage: I have never ordered glasses online before, and was very unsure what I was supposed to do.

Let’s just say, that was the last pair of glasses I ordered from the opto. :money_mouth_face:
But it was a good experience in the end. I blew through the new “reading” glasses in less than a month (meaning I got to 20/20 quickly), and it gave me the best incentive to figure out what I need to do next, and quickly.

3 Likes

Not to discount the experiences mentioned here, but my opto measured me for close work glasses, even prior to finding EM. I had told him my distance correction was not working for reading and computer use, I couldn’t abide the headaches (not made up, they were horrendous) and that I wanted less correction for these tasks. He asked me how far I was hoping to see I told him about 2 feet and he knocked off 1.5 diopters and performed the presbyopia tests mentioned above. He was confused that I rejected bifocal and but he wrote the correction out and sent me on my way. All that to say you can ask and see what happens.
As far as the rest of the visit, it is almost certain to get you furthest to have them measure you as normal, not buy correction and as Bianca said use that as your baseline starting out, plus a clean bill of health on your eyes is a good thing to have. Glasses are far cheaper online anyways as @SeeTheLight’s experience shows and you won’t have to try to win any arguments to get what you want.

4 Likes

Whoa. That is cool. I want one of those optos. Hard to find though.

2 Likes

Yeah he is pretty good, still old school but also more inclined to listen to me then any of the optos I have been to previously. I am still unclear how friendly he will be to EM methodology but after I left him scratching his head last time I was there it will be interesting to see if he gives me an opening when I next go.

1 Like

I look forward to that… :innocent:
So far, all i got was “you are out of you mind woman” type of reaction. :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah, I was afraid to get the same; which is why I offered no explanation at my confirmation of gainz appointment last year. Even though he couldn’t sort it out he couldn’t deny my correction needs had decreased quite a bit, but he didn’t ask and I didn’t offer, it is not my experience that people who aren’t asking questions want to hear answers.

3 Likes

If you reached this conclusion already, you are way ahead of most people I know (including me :innocent:).

3 Likes

There are a bunch of anti-fatigue lens designs now that “computer glasses” are going mainstream. I personally like them, I know @jakey is not a fan of complicated focal planes (multi-focals etc) for vision improvement (with very good reason from having seen a bunch of people over the years.)

At least some of them seem to “do what they’re supposed to do” in terms of mitigating eye-strain from screen use for me. Maybe worth exploring once you’re back to 20/20 or better.

Now that there a bunch of products on the market specifically targeting heavy screen-users with eye strain problems or “computer vision syndrome” I think optometrists are more likely to entertain the idea that people should have more than one pair of glasses for everything and are more open to the idea that people shouldn’t necessarily be wearing their distance correction in front of the computer.

As all the different myopia-control technologies start hitting the market they’re going to have to start entertaining the idea that regular minus lenses cause myopia (since special lenses stop it) and even acknowledge that myopia can be reversed (because how are they going to sell all these new products if it’s “impossible” to reverse myopia?)

I suspect in a couple of years it will be totally normal for them to push having glasses for distance and glasses for close-up (especially after they realize they can sell at least twice as many pairs off glasses that way!)

4 Likes

I hope so. I however hope to be correction free by then.

2 Likes