EyeQue Personal Vision Tracker: The good, the bad and the ugly

The good: The EyeQue PVT seems good at tracking a general decreasing trend.

The bad: Why would you buy a device for that if you’re already here? Cm measurements are free, more convenient and more accurate.

The ugly: The PVT definitely overprescribes you, and is not consistent enough for a starting point.

Check out these results from the EyeQue PVT review I did a while ago:
fc52197be32136269e8b2385e8957e71

Now check out two of the tests I just did:

(ignore test 3 and 2, they were done with a messed up screen protector attached to my phone)

Test 5 and 4, between two tests already my cylinder is fluctuating by a whole 0.50 diopters. My SPH is wobbling a little bit. And most importantly, the insane overprescription. Just reality checked myself by putting on my good old faithful OD/OS -4.75/-3.75 and it was beautiful, I could see forever. I could see an ant on the road a mile away with them. It’s kind of fun to wear overprescribed glasses.

If the EyeQue PVT was overprescribing me before, and is still doing it now, then at least it’s confirmed real genuine improvement (not that I needed any proof from it). But seriously, I’d stay away from buying this thing for any real reason.

Yes, agree on the overprescription. At least on the iPhone, their new updated app is even worse, if that’s possible. From my “old” measurements to the new ones, it’s gone up at least another half diopter of overprescription, so now it regularly overprescribes by -1.00 or more. If you can get it to spit out “EGNs.”

If you have one, it’s a reasonable thing to check in with once a week or so. If you don’t have one, I don’t recommend it at the moment.

1 Like

They want $5 a year for membership too. It’s not the most really, but I’m definitely not renewing mine next time around.

Another thing for vision improvement guys, if your vision improves, your eyeglass number will still reflect the old higher myopia values, I don’t think it completely chucks out your older tests when coming up with the number. Even for the ‘individual test results’, after EyeQue contacted me once I made my review, they told me the individual test results actually take into account previous tests as well. Meh.

You also have a Wandering Axis of Astigmatisim. Just over 3 readings, it is slowly rotating 163-166-168 in one eye, 31-24-20 in the other, and all over the place between more widely spaced readings. I really wonder if those of us with mild astigmatism and wandering axis have unequal ciliary tightening rather than a deformed lens/cornea.

Yep, it doesn’t want to vacate prior results for new one, although the weighting does change and it will migrate eventually.

Other downsides are that it seems to ignore when you tell it you got a new prescription (I actually think they weight this as part of the EGNs).

All in all, it seems like a graduate group project that’s gone a bit above and beyond. Whatever. I think I’m into if for $30.

Yes, it’s not the most comfortable testing device ever. I tend to get better results at first; it will wear my eyes out in a few minutes, no problem.

I generally like my PVT. I think for the cost its another tool to add to the set.

I would agree. Its good for general tracking but I wouldn’t for a second use it for its accuracy. I get pretty large discrepencies sometimes by a whole diopter.

Having said that I would raise two things.

Firstly, I would tend to blame myself for much of the inaccuracy rather than the device. There are changing light conditions, my state of mind when I test it, learning how to use the device the right way, etc.

Secondly, It really makes me think how innacurate optometrists may be! I’ve definetly had some wacky readings from optometrists! What about them factoring light conditions, their state of mind, their proficiency with their devices?

This has then led me to believe that maybe only ophthalmologists will give you an accurate, objective result.

For the rest of our EM journey we’re just going to have to live with pretty ‘diverse’ diopter readings.

Thoughts?

See attached my reductions over about 3 months!

I don’t really know how I could make the device more accurate, it’s out by a lot and I don’t see how I can change my actions to make it more accurate :thinking:

Optometrist measurements are only really used for clout IMO. I’ll get my next one when I’ve reduced by a lot more so I can wave a piece of paper around.

2 Likes

I definetly got better at using it. But it wasn’t like a miracle and then all my measurments were bang on accurate. I still had pretty large discrepencies between each test, sometimes by 0.75D.

I’ve got high myopia as well. Starting from -10. So things like CM measurements are SUPER innacurate. A few millimetres can be multiple quarters of a diopter. I’ve found that all the tools are very inaccurate for me because of my high myopia. They’ll get more accurate as I get lower.

I agree, only use opometrist measurements to brag to all your friends and family (who have zero to little interest anyway hahaha)

2 Likes

Most of my progression occurred under the watch of an ophthalmologist. I saw him as often as four times a year when I was growing rapidly. Subjective refraction for sphere is a fairly simple procedure, it’s hard to mess up, especially if they conclude with a duochrome test. The quality of the equipment might make a difference. The real question is what to do with the results of the test. Most will just prescribe the lens indicated by the test. Some will see a large change and increase your lenses slowly over time. A very few will actually listen to you and accommodate your issues with eye strain.

The Ophthalmologist did spend a lot more time studying my retina than the average optometrist. He really knows what he’s looking at there and isn’t just looking for major irregularities.

2 Likes