Eyes are too tired to do AF after a while?

Hi, guys.
I always found that after about 1 hour’s AF of distance object, my eyes will feel too tired and won’t do AF anymore. Does anyone else have this problem?

2 Likes

Oh yes. I find AF follows the pattern of my muscles. Use them too long and they become less strong. Work them out over a long period of weeks and AF can last much longer. Just like muscles, sometimes rest works well to build up AF strength and endurance.

Since my day job is software engineering, I have trained myself to be able to active focus for six hours or more a day five days a week (my glasses are chosen so the screen at the edge of blur). On the weekends it’s more like the rest period and I find AF not as strong.

So far it seems to work, as my eyes have been dropping 0.25D every four months or so.

2 Likes

I don’t have this issue with close-up AF, only with distance situations, especially when I stare at something about 2 miles away. Guess it needs more eyeball muscles to get involved?

1 Like

How well and how often you can AF depends on a number of things - amount of daily close up, how well you slept, amount of light etc.

There are days where I can AF easily at a distance and then the next day it doesn’t clear up as easily. It’s part of the journey. Ironically I find close-up AF on the screen a lot more tiring versus distance. But I used to do a lot of AF on books then realized that I’m trying to fix my distance focus so I should spend most of my time doing AF at a distance.

It will get easier with practice.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s true.

1 Like