Eyesight not improving

Hello Jake and team,

I am a longtime member of EndMyopia and Back to 20/20. I have not posted in quite some time because I had been making steady progress. Briefly, back in 2015 my glasses prescription was quite high in the -13 diopter range. I’ve steadily been working to get it down to -10 diopter range as my first big milestone over the years. About three years ago, my vision became blurry as I approached this landmark. I think I was reducing by 0.25 diopters too quickly. I was doing it every 3 months, but my eyes may not have been ready for the changes so quickly. As a result, I reset my prescription higher by about one diopter and have been working my way down again over the last three years. This time, I have only been making changes when my distance landmarks and eye chart showed improvements.

My prescription now sits in the -11 diopter range, and I simply can’t make any further progress. In fact, I’ve found that my vision has gotten worse over the last year with this same prescription that I’ve been unable to move on from. I am able to achieve clear flashes with lots of blinking, but I simply cannot hold onto it (both for distance and closeup). My vision always goes blurry. I know one answer may be to reset again, but I’ve done this once already and it hasn’t worked.

I’m disheartened by my regression (my eyesight actually got worse by a full diopter based on my most recent eye exam since two years ago). I do my best to follow the program and shoot for at least one hour of distance vision every day.

I understand there’s a lot of detail I’ve left out, so I’m happy to answer any questions you have for me. I really appreciate your support and input here as I’m very much saddened by my inability to improve. Improving my eyesight over the last six years has been a huge priority in my life, and I want to do what I can to keep going.

Thank you!

Alex

3 Likes

i am sad to hear of your struggles. Unfortunately there is a great many things that effect progress so it is difficult to trouble shoot for others. My first impressions are that you are likely not getting enough distance vision and that you have not managed to find active focus yet, reduction alone is generally not enough to improve, if you aren’t clearing blur then there is no purpose in having it. I am going to assume as a back to 20/20 member you use differentials and are good about proper lighting? To be honest in your position I would go back to square one. Start over as if it is all new to you, revisit everything from the 7 day guide on. And there are new resources particularly in the wiki and in the form of student videos that can be very helpful. The wiki can help define things you might have missed in the program and student videos can help in many ways, sometimes hearing someone say it a different way is all you need and also I find it encouraging to hear other’s stories and perspectives. Also this forum and the sense of community can be incredible :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi Alex,

I don’t know that this would help (but it might). Have you tried base-in prism for your computer glasses only “differentials”? Using lower correction reduces the accommodative strain on your eyes but doesn’t relieve the convergence issue (your eyes have to do a lot of converging to look at something close up, even if they don’t have to accommodate because you’re wearing reduced correction for myopia.)

As an experiment you might try putting in 2 to 4 prism diopters of base-in prism in each lens of a pair of computer glasses (which will relieve convergence strain) and see if that helps progress start up again. I personally find them much more relaxing for reading or screen use. The idea is that the eyes are in a more neutral posture (for distance) and that it removes significant eyestrain caused by convergence.

1 Like

The information you provided sounds a little bit similiar to what i have experienced, so maybe this helps, however, I had a far lower prescription (around -2 or -3, my max was about -4): for years I was able to do active focus (I think), clear things up near and far, blinking helped and got clear flashes now and then, but I could not hold it more than a few seconds. After a few seconds it got blurry and I somehow got strained. I think I achieved active focus because I could make things clearer, but the way I looked was not correct, somehow there was always some strain involved. Now I know that people do not like it to mention mark warren here, but I try to help fellow kittehs, even if it is unconventional, and at least for me the paying attention to moving peripheral vision part was the missing piece, and mark explains that very good in his first youtube videos. There is nothing fancy and I also think at least for the peripheral vision part nothing unconventional about it, just using your peripheral vision which is of course easier if something is moving. So for me at least by paying attention to the peripheral vision while moving my head slightly and looking at things near or far, it relaxes my eyes, gives me clear flashes and realxed vision. the stinging in the eyes and the clear flashes indicate when it is done right. The blinking active focus often puts things into focus, but to hold it and relax, I need the peripheral vision movement and peripheral attention.

Also, of course. try to mentally relaxe and get outdoor time, but at least before I found the peripheral vision thing I could not really relaxe even with tons out outdoor vision. So maybe this works for you too, if not, move on, troubleshoot again and try different things, leave no stone unturned :slight_smile: do you think your eyes are strained? Do you see far worse in the evening? Maybe if you describe your daily routines (work, far vision time, stress, etc.) and how you look and do active focus, it helps us to troubleshoot with you together. I had some kind of a plateau for six years before I found what I need to do, dont give up! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If this means that you paid for the official back to 20/20 program, click on Support link in the second row between course list and Log tool (not on the Le Meow Forum in the first row of links) and write your question there. Jake will get back to you within 24 hours typically.

Here in the forum you will get personal opinions only from fellow EMers.

If you are not a paid Back to 20/20 member or you are but also open for personal opinions, too, then I definitely recommend checking out methods to involve the peripheral vision as @Jhoe recommends.

Other tricks to get the peripheral vision involved in the overall vision:

(@Jhoe - we have no issues with the message that myopia is mental or with the method of rocking, most of us have some allergy to mark warren simply because he presents these as his methods while they are not, and it’s difficult to like someone who totally “forgets” to credit his sources and instead bashes Bates and EM. Personally I do most of my distance vision time moving and during my EM journey I had this experience of everything becoming 3D thanks to the additional input from the peripheral vision. So your point is good and valid.)

4 Likes

Thank you! You are right that I probably am not getting enough distance time. I shoot for at least one hour per day, but there are weeks where I only get a few hours of distance in on the weekend. I know that’s not helping. I do wear differentials always for close up and try to use natural lighting when possible. Thank you for the advice. I will take advantage of the information available and approach it with a problem solving attitude.

3 Likes

Well stated my dear!

For the record Jake does talk about peripheral awareness much more than people seem to catch on to, he just doesn’t beat it home in every video which is I think how M.W. ends up snapping up credit on that one… you know besides that he so forcefully presents it as a concept original to him… Jake said it first MW just says it louder.

2 Likes

Thank you nycmao and Jhoe for your help and advice! The peripheral vision information makes a lot of sense. Especially with my high prescription, I tend not to use a lot of peripheral vision, so I will reprioritize that.

Admittedly, some of my vision problems over that last year may be attributed to stress, anxiety, and depression. I am very rarely mentally relaxed, but I’m working to improve this. I try to get some outdoor time before sunset during the week, and I like to take ~2 hour walks on the weekends. I like to use various road signs during my walks to gauge my ability to use active focus to clear blur. I definitely see far worse in the evening. It’s gotten to the point where I can’t really socialize because I can’t drive in unfamiliar places in the dark.

My work involves a lot of close up screen time, and I don’t always get the 1 hour of distance vision every day. There are some weeks where it can be as low as just a few hours on the weekends.

BiancaK, thank you for reminding me about the Back to 20/20 member forum and the peripheral vision information! I was a little overwhelmed having not been a regular on the website in a while and did not recall where to post.

2 Likes

Thanks for the links, I just watched all of them. I guess most of them adress peripheral vision or vision training in general, which sure is beneficial. Especially the guy that mentioned that stress can make us lose peripheral vision has a important point here. Maybe the stress of passing tests in school combined with the relief of this stress (passing the test) by reading a lot really gets our vision in trouble. Maybe something similiar is true in a stressful work environment.

Yes thats true, thank you for pointing that out, Jake really does talk about peripheral vision. However, the credit which must be given to mark warren is, as you said, he shouts that peripheral thing out loud and he describes it very clearly and easy to understand. And that is how he has helped some folks like me who couldnt get it otherwise. I dont know if people give him credit for inventing it or something like that, maybe he thinks that, I dont know, but just explaining it in a relatable way is pretty valueable in the age of youtube :slight_smile: Sure the peripheral thing is not new, I even remember reading a book years ago about moving and dancing colors to improve vision (which now I think was meant to be peripheral vision). I guess for most people peripheral vision is not that important as it works normally, otherwise Jake with all his experience would have adressed it more, however, for some people like me, the peripheral thing is really the thing which was missing. So its just another thing to try if someone hits a plateau or does not improve at all.

Well that sounds good. Of course one can always do more, get far vision in the morning AND evening, maybe also a little bit at noon. Maybe applying something like the 20/20/20 rule more, getting more breaks, changing vision distance more often, etc., and, as Jake always says, make it a habit (which surely takes weeks or months). Maybe also physical exercise and a healthy diet helps for overall wellbeing, which surely highly affects myopes, but you certainly know all that and who am I to tell you… :slight_smile:

2 Likes