Farm girl needs visual freedom (Hi, I'm Katherine!)

Hello all! I’m Katherine. I’m 32 and live with my husband in the Sierra foothills in northern California. I stay busy running our humble homestead: we’ve got 11 sheep, 4 goats, 2 horses, 1 dog, and chickens galore. Plus fencing, irrigation, fruit trees, etc. It’s a lot of work, but I feel very fortunate to be outside so much. It just sucks with glasses and contacts!

I got my first pair of glasses age 8 but switched to contacts soon after since I was swimmer. Typical progression of getting a higher prescription every year for a long time, then every two years or so. I’ve more or less stabilized now at L-7.00/-1.25 and R-7.50/-1.25.

My awful vision and the never ending discomfort of glasses and contacts is just something I tolerated for a long time. But then my husband and I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail. I got very sick of dealing with contacts while living in a tent, and I deeply resented having to carry all the extra weight of contacts, backup glasses, contact solution and contacts cases while hiking ~15 miles a day.

I heard Jake on a podcast shortly after that and the rest is history. It’s taken me some time to sort through all the information and feel prepared to begin, but I’m ready now! Happy to make your acquaintance!

12 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I wish you all the best on this new journey. No hiking here, although it may feel like it at times. Don’t give up though, we all think it is worth it. :grinning:

Wow! It sounds as though you have a great life. All those animals! (I especially love goats.) And why would you want stupid lenses if you see an escape hatch? Keep us posted!

1 Like