Finally! A Scientifically Promising Cataract Treatment Is Available! (Sort Of)

Hi EM family!

I found EM in June 2019 and started July 16th 2019 at R -1.75 0.50 and L -2.50 0.50. My correction got down to -0.50 in both eyes, but currently is -0.75 because of the dreaded cataract.

Long story short, I was bit by a tick in Nov. 2018, got severe Bell’s Palsy on my right side, was prescribed Prednisone, started having vision problems in mid 2019 (early cataract?), found EM, had amazing results, was driving (no glasses!) in May 2020 when out of nowhere I started losing vision in my right eye (couldn’t even read the license plate right in front of me!), completely freaked out, opthamologist diagnosed me with a fast growing Prednisone caused cataract and scheduled pre-surgery appointment.

So, for the past several weeks I’ve been completely obsessed with finding a treatment (limiting screen time went right out the window!). It’s taken me down some crazy rabbit holes, and I’ve documented dozens of different “cure” claims. From laser bleaching, acupuncture in the eye, fasting, stem cell therapy, light therapy, nanoparticles, herbs, solvents, vitamins, visualization, and even Bates Method.

Frankly, many of the claimed treatments for cataracts remind me of Bates method. They provide some slight, temporary improvement, but will never fully correct the vision.

The problem is I’ve reached out to many of the people, doctors, stores, and clinics who promote these “cures” and to those who have personally tried these treatments and have not been able to find a single person who can report that their cataracts have decreased. I’ve felt really defeated at times.

The amazing news is that I now have found THREE especially promising cataract treatments by searching scientific libraries and patents. Ever heard of scholar.google.com? :slight_smile:

None of these treatments are commercially available yet. I’m focusing on one of them that is promising, but not necessarily the most promising, because the ingredients are known to be safe for the human eye and it has even gone through human FDA trials with great results. Also, I believe the ingredients can be sourced by regular people and the formulation made at home.

I feel like I’m only 1% into the research that I want to do, but at some point I needed to stop and focus on the best info I’ve gathered so far. I’ve tried to post this is the most comprehensive yet focused and simple way possible by only posting the most important info I’ve found so far. So, here it is.

News Story #1: https://crstodayeurope.com/articles/2008-mar/0308_05-php/

News Story #2: https://www.healio.com/news/ophthalmology/20120331/topical-chelation-therapy-shown-to-be-potential-treatment-for-diabetic-cataracts

Permeability Study: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10717540902896362

Animal study: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15287394.2011.538835

Human study and European patent (PDF) (skip to page 8 for the good stuff): https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/4e/28/63/795a599ce3860a/EP1904108B1.pdf

One interesting tidbit in the US patent (https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/93/14/25/f27903e8fd271c/US20100069335A1.pdf) is that a higher dose of EDTA actually decreased the effectiveness of the formula.

Why hasn’t this reached the market yet? I do not know exactly. The company started in 2002 as Chakshu Research Inc., but both the CEO and chief scientists then started (or renamed?) to Livionex in 2009. They raised $4 million and launched their first product in 2014 “The first commercially available product is the Livionex Dental Gel, that double blind clinical studies show, is 250% more effective that leading toothpastes.” The main ingredients in the gel are MSM and EDTA.

I’ve watched several interviews with the CEO and read articles where he clearly states they want to bring to market a drop to treat cataracts, but as a small company they only have time to focus on one product right now.

Where do we go from here? I’m looking for help.

1. Please look over this info and tell me if you also think this is promising. Maybe I’m missing something and/or delusional.

2. Source the ingredients.

3. Make the solution.

4. Test it.

5. Live happily ever after. :slight_smile:

What else?

I’m not a scientist or doctor so I don’t really know what I’m doing. I’m posting this for informational purposes only.

Thank you!!!

12 Likes

Hi @JeremyCouch, a lot of work you put into that! Thanks! Have to gather some courage to dive into the info behind those links. Why indeed is it not on the market yet. … Can think of some causes… :roll_eyes:
Well, first I have to do the reading :smiley:

4 Likes

Yay! Someone replied! :slight_smile: I’m afraid I may have overwhelmed people with this. That’s why I included the quotes for each link trying to summarize and simplify everything, but also include the links for those who want to study all of the info. Also, I made a mistake in not talking about how these drops improved the vision of people with no cataracts or eye problems by up to 0.75 diopters. Maybe more people would jump in to help make these if I would have mentioned that in the title. Oh well!

One way or another I’m going to make these soon!

3 Likes

Because bringing a medical product to the market is an enormously expensive task. I’ve been involved in medical device programming for the last decade, and about 50% of my product development time was dedicated to generating paperwork for the FDA when we were building automated testing systems. Thankfully an automated machine can run thousands of samples a day, and we could source positive and negative blood by the liter for testing, and it still took years and millions of dollars… If we had to run it by actual individual patients, I can’t imagine how much more expensive it would have been.

Are any of the ingredients antibacterial, or do you have an idea how you’re going to keep the solution sterile? You might consider starting with eye wash or wetting drops that have preservative agents in them if none of the ingredients are sterilizing.

5 Likes

@JeremyCouch, in addition to what Diskidmore mentions: perhaps contact lens fluid which is sterile.
I remember somebody using this as a base for also a cataract treatment. I will try to find that website again.

Edit:
From the Dutch website Vrolijkweerzien.nl :

"MSM eye drops are said to improve the hydration of the eye due to the sulfur present in the MSM. Sulfur attracts water and is required for collagen formation. Now MSM eye drops are hard to find in the Netherlands. So we make it ourselves:
Buy MSM powder online and go to the supermarket to buy lenses insert liquid. Not to clean your lenses but the storage / insert liquid. You can get a pipette bottle of 10 or 20 ml from the pharmacy.
Mix the contact lenses with a teaspoon of MSM and allow the MSM to dissolve. You will have to experiment with how much MSM exactly. Because if the MSM concentration is too high, it will sting your eye. And one is more sensitive to that than the other. Apply 1-2 drops twice a day in both eyes. Do this for a few months, a month or 3 at least. If you don’t notice any improvement at all, it’s not for you. Then you should try something else."

Maybe not exactly what you were looking for, but it might give you a reference.

2 Likes

If you have cataracts, are you prescribed EDTA drops to slow their progression anyway?

Can’t you buy MSM drops online?

I feel like I have read of other people encouraging using MSM before their other eye drops to help the eye take up the drop. This may have been for glaucoma though.

Clearly the amount of thought which went in to this comment of mine is significantly less than the amount of thought that went I to yours,

4 Likes

Yes, it probably comes down to the costs of FDA approval. The company was saying 10 years ago during FDA trials they hoped to bring it to market within 2 years. Unfortunately they pivoted to the oral care product instead.

Thanks for bringing this up. I wondered about this too. I have seen @Cateye’s suggestion of contact lens fluid mentioned for making different kinds of eye drops. Although I’m hesitant to change anything in their formula. EDTA may not do as well with lense solution, but it’s definitely something to research more.

Here’s a link to “How to Make Homemade MSM Eye Drops” using water, but they take steps to keep things sterilized. Do you think this is sufficient? https://www.hannerobinson.org/blog/2/5/2018/msm-eyedrops

1 Like

Hahaha, no worries!

Yes, MSM drops are available online and people make their own all the time. The concentration that most people take is far far higher than in this formula. That’s one reason I like this treatment. It’s proven safe.

As far as EDTA, I have seen it mentioned as a cataract “cure” by taking high doses of it orally, but I have not seen the science to back this up or spoken with anyone who this worked for. Not because it doesn’t exist, but because I haven’t gotten around to researching that yet. I just put that on my list!

EDTA eye drops are available and used for removing calcium build up on the cornea (https://edgepharma.com/products/ophthalmology/edta/). The problem is EDTA does not penetrate the eye to get anywhere near the lens. The breakthrough is using MSM for permeability with the EDTA brings the EDTA into the lens for it to do it’s work.

BTW I love your videos!

3 Likes

Aww, thank you so much. <3

My mum has glaucoma (+ macular degeneration), and so did my grandma (+ cataracts), so I am always listening for general eye health because it seems that if health issues run in families, this is something I need to be active in preventing, and ready to jump on.

I didn’t realise that about the concentrations. That is very interesting. Would love to hear if you end up finding a way.

The contact lens fluid I have says not to be applied directly to the eye. So making it with water would be more appealing to me if I were in that situation.

Love that you spent time researching and deep diving for what solutions are floating around. No wonder you found EndMyopia.

3 Likes

This same company has research on using this formula in a slightly stronger form to treat these other conditions. I couldn’t immediately find that research, but it’s among the hundreds of bookmarks on this that I have saved. In fact, I saw something somewhere that made me think they are looking to release that product before the cataracts one.

1 Like

I get sooooo much e-mail on the cataract front.

My standard response has been … :man_shrugging:

This is great. While I will need time to dive in, loving that you too the time to add this research, @JeremyCouch.

3 Likes

Yea and figure out if they’re undercapitalized and how well that product is patented / protected, how well it works, how much is left in $$ to get it past regulatory approval … and if it’s worth buying it from them. :laughing:

3 Likes

For the first dose, sure. But how long does a batch last? Is it going to stay sterile? The non preserved wetting drops are in single use vials.

1 Like

@JeremyCouch - thank you so much for all your research - this is exciting news! I’m going to try this out - the MSM and EDTA mix. Where did you source your EDTA? And did you add L-carnosine? I’m going to get the mix set up and start recording any visual changes. I think the cataracts have made it hard for me to see if I can clear text, which is why I’m stuck. And frustrated. So this is an action plan I can get on board with! Thanks again - can’t wait to see what happens!

2 Likes

Oops - just found your link for EDTA! So never mind on that question.

@JeremyCouch - it seems you have to have a medical, DEA, or hospital license to order the EDTA on the site you recommended - please, how did you order the EDTA? And did you stick with the lower percentage, or go for the higher since you’ll be diluting it? Thanks!

1 Like

Very Interesting!
So, the formula is: MSM + EDTA

If I understand correctly, then MSM is for sulphur. EDTA is a weak acid to dissolve the cataract. MSM (Sulphur) helps EDTA (weak acid) to penetrate into lens and dissolve the cataract.

Am I right thus far?

If that’s the case, why not use natural alternatives?
MSM -> Sulphur -> Onion or Garlic juice
EDTA -> weak acid -> Lemon juice

To moderate, onion or garlic, honey has to be used.

So, a formula like this:
Onion (or Garlic) + Honey + Lemon.
Related post
(Here, Ginger is also used. I am guessing for anti-coagulation and Anti-inflammation. I think ginger might be sterilizing the drops).

3 Likes

Hey @KitEhlers! I was hoping you’d find this exciting too!

The link to the EDTA eye drops was just to show that EDTA is already used in the eye and because they have a good description of what it’s currently used for.

I have not made these yet or sourced all the ingredients, but that’s top on my agenda for today. I was hoping there might be a chemist/pharmacist in the community who could help us out. Maybe I can find a Facebook group of home chemists with some suggestions? The only thing I ever did in chem class is play cards. :smiley:

What’s needed?

1. De-ionized (DI) water (500 ml)
  1. Gizmo to filter water via a 0.2 micrometer filter

2. MSM (27 g)

3. EDTA (13 g)

1. L-carnosine (5 g)

2. Scale? Some way to measure.

1. Glass to mix ingredients?

2. Dropper bottle

3 Likes

Yes, you understand perfectly!

The reason I’m trying to find the MSM and EDTA is because that was the formulation used in the trials that worked. When they tried slightly different formulations it didn’t work nearly as well.

So, I don’t know how to convert their formulation into an Onion/Honey/Lemon formulation and get it exactly right. There would be a lot of trial and error at best.

But if we can’t get the needed ingredients we might have to try yours. It would be amazing to be able to get the ingredients at the grocery store and have it effectively treat cataracts!

1 Like

I use garlic juice on my throat sometimes. I can’t imagine putting that in my eyes. That would burn.

3 Likes