First eye test since December

Hey Guys! How is everyone’s journey going? I just wanted to give a quick update on where I was with endmyopia. My initial prescription was a -2.75 and that had gone down all the way to -1.5 diopters according to the test results that were given to me in December 2020. That particular appointment was at vision express. I felt like my improvements had stagnated a bit, therefore I wanted to see if I had improved at all in order to be injected with a much needed dose of motivation. I made the mistake of going to the same optometrist to get tested again and told them the -1.5 correction was too strong. They were suspicious as I had not bought glasses from them when I was tested in December, and they were asking all kinds of questions about what correction I had been using since my last exam. After being tested, the results were -1.5 again. This was rather disappointing, as I had used a -1.25 normalised for a few months and then moved onto a -1. I asked if I could be given the -1.25 correction to see if I can make out the 20/20 line. The optician obliged. The letters were displayed on a digital screen and it was in a room which was purely lit with dim fluorescent lighting where there was no sunlight coming in. She of course said that “one of my eyes was stronger than the other”, and offered to make my correction more powerful in my right eye. She also made a startling revelation, and pointed out the fact that I had somehow “developed 0.25 diopters of astigmatism”. They have to get those lens sales moving somehow I guess.

Using the -1.25, I was able to make out the 20/20 line with relative ease, though on one occasion, I had mild difficulty in identifying a letter. The optometrist said that she recognised I can see the 20/20 line with the -1.25, but it would be better if things were ‘crystal clear’ as opposed to just being visible. With the 1.25s, the 20/20 line wasn’t as sharp as I would liked it to have been, but I still could recognise the letters without struggling much.

Does this mean I am a -1.25?

1 Like

Never go to the same opto. They keep your record. And because myopia can’t be reversed - they all know it as a fact - there’s no point testing lower. If your test result comes lower, it can still mean that you had a funny lucky day and 2 weeks later you would be coming back begging them for stronger glasses under free replacement. Welcome to the opto world.

Actually that is quite good if that was your result in the opto’s dark room. That means you almost have 20/20 under night driving / worst vision conditions and e.g. driving is allowed in most countries with 20/40, too. So it is an unofficial confirmation that you could drive in -1.25D at night.

Because you don’t spend all your day under ground, it also means that for every day life, especially daytime, you are at (or you are close to) -1.25D vision. Obviously vision fluctuates within the day and between days, so that is a question for yourself to ask if it was a top or an average performance from you.

I think you are on the right track. You didn’t get stronger glasses. And the opto admitted that you were corrected for better than 20/20. => you have improved!

That 0.25D astigmatism is not a real one. That is just the confirmation thanks to the super precise measuring equipment that a certain angle of your eye is slightly lagging behind. It will catch up naturally. But check the second half of this post for more on this:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Bianca! I know that the astigmatism wasn’t really a legitimate concern, I was being sarcastic as the auto refractor machine can have a half diopter margin of error when it comes to cylinder measurements. I think Jake said in one of his videos that if they prescribe you with a half diopter of CYL, it usually means you don’t have any at all. What happens is, the optometrist usually makes you choose between two lenses, where one has astigmatism and the other doesn’t. In that moment, most can’t tell the difference and randomly pick the correction with astigmatism, even though they are fine without it. Frequently using correction with cylinder can cause lens induced astigmatism causing repeat visits to the opticians.

Do you think I should stick to the -1 normalised I am currently using or go back to the -1.25 for daytime use?

I think it was more of a situation where they said the -1.5 correction gives me a clearer view of the 20/20 line compared to the 1.25. I don’t think they said I was overcorrected. Though to be fair, the 20/20 line was ridiculously sharp with the -1.5s.

I am really not sure. The test was preceded by a few hours of distance vision in sunny weather but I don’t know if my eyes were in better condition than they usually are.

1 Like

The “Is this better, is this better” question is more to determine the axis than the strength.
As far as I’m aware, the current “cylinder pandemic” is because the eye is naturally uneven but the autorefractor is so advanced by now that it picks up the slightest correctable difference. So if you have a fluctuating 0 cyl to a worst case -0.75D cyl than autorefrector will show -0.75D. If you start wearing it you will have lens induced cyl / astigmatism.
I don’t think the opto industry caught up with the advancement of the refractor measurment. The old optos used to have a principle that the final prescription should be such that if the cyl is removed, the client still should be able to read 20/40 with just the sph only. So the old optos converted cyl to sph to achieve that. That’s why most cyl corrections stayed under -1D.
The current optos dropped this principle and just give you the max autorefrector-measured cyl corrections (they use the autorefractor as a guide, may reduce the strength of the cyl by 0.25D or 0.5D, and they will refine the axis a bit, but they will not disregard the measurement completely) and this then induces extreme astigmatism.

The -1.25D should give you very good vision in the evening, too. Most probably you will be perfectly OK with -1D, too, during daytime, especially if it’s summer in your part of the world. But when you are tired, stressed, not feeling topfit (generally on the day or just at the end of the day) you will find that -1.25D makes a different when using your eyes with artificial lights.
In winters I never had strict rules on wearing the same corrections during the day and in the evening.
I had a correction during the day for work and at the end of the workday (when it was already dark) I decided if I wanted to do the evening with a lot more blur, i.e. with the same corrections (e.g. just sittin in a restaurant with friends when I only need to see their faces within max 2 meters) or if I wanted to step up a bit not to have more blur than during the day, i.e increasing by 0.25D or even 0.5D when going out for a proper event (those old days when it was normal…)

They don’t say you are overcorrected, but this is from their material:
20/25 = -0.25
20/20 = plano to -0.25
20/15 = plano
20/10 = plano

I asked my opto to make sure that I was only corrected to 20/20 and not to 20/15 or 20/10.
She replied that she would do it for me as I wasn’t a glass wearer (white lie, I forgot to tell her that I had ever wore corrections. Well, her fault. She only asked if I had glasses and I didn’t, so…). But she said she would not do it for anyone who already had glasses. Simply because those people are used to a standard super sharp vision with new glasses. If she corrected them to 20/20 only, she would see them back asking for free “corrected” stronger glasses. High street optos have an obligation to change glasses free of charge if the client is not satisfied…
So it is not that all optos are evil. The clients are also spoilt / lazy, just go for convenience, etc.
The opto market offers based on glass-wearers’ demand, I’m afraid.

My opto corrections were always so sharp (close to 20/10 for sure) that I could read any colleague’s screen 3 desks away. Has a lot of advantages in a managerial position. Poor reports didn’t even suspect that anyone could have read things from their screens from that far away, so they thought I must have been working with IT to find out what kept them busy during working hours… :sweat_smile:
So, yes, that’s what ridiculously sharp in the opto’s room converts to in an office environment.

As you will have a pair of -1.25D and a pair of -1D there’s no need to lament over it too much. Just always be honest about your vision with yourself and you’ll be OK.

Good luck with the next quarter diopter

1 Like