Floaters, blur adaptation, unexpected results

I am at high risk for floaters, and my eyes live up to it. My left eye has a large floater that as the doc says is “Unfortunately placed”. It’s been there a couple years, and my vision in that eye is intermittently blurry or clear. Studies with diffusion lenses suggest that the constant blur should send my myopia into a downward spiral, unlike blur from an optically clear lens that leads to adaptation to the lens. However, the first eye check after this started troubling me was the first time I’d ever been told “no changes”. They only changed the prescription in my good eye. Now that I have my Snellen chart, I seem to have 20/20 corrected vision in the affected eye, and 20/40 in the unaffected eye.

Did intermittent blur have protective effects against adapting to my last set of lenses? Was that eye more severely overcorrected to begin with? I can’t say, but it may affect how well I respond to this program.

I suspect that you will be in for more surprises. I have a noticeable floater in both eyes, have learned to look right past them until I look up at a clear sky, and after an all clear from the eye doctor last September, have ceased worrying about it altogether.
Blur tolerance and clinical blur adaptation (not the same thing) are a different kettle of fish, as you might already have discovered.

2 Likes

Note: almost everyone gets extra floaters when starting active focus.

it’s almost as if the new way of focussing moves something in the eye which releases material

:frowning: necessary evil it seems

2 Likes

Or just shifts it around - and one is also paying more attention.

3 Likes

Maybe some vitreous matter had congealed near the contracted lens and forcing it to move breaks the floaters free.
I noticed them everytime I restarted my vision improving efforts, but they generally tend to disappear over time.
I also see them appearing when I’m stressed out or staying up in deep night. Some are mobile, some are stationary.

I’m glad I’m usually free of them.

2 Likes

I can look past most of my floaters, I have quite a few, but not that one that appeared a few years ago in the left eye. It moves out of the way when I flick my vision around, but if I stare straight ahead it gets blurry.

The natural resolution of floaters is that gravity shifts them down out of the focal area. Growing new choroidal tissue could move the focus area away from (or into the path of) floaters in other parts of the eye. The choroid is full of blood vessels, it might accelerate change in the eye in other ways.

Not sure if this deserves it’s own thread:

Pharmacologic vitreolysis of vitreous floaters by 3-month pineapple supplement in Taiwan: A pilot study
Chi­Ting Horng Fu­An Chen Daih­Huang Kuo, Li­Chai Chen, Shou­Shan Yeh, and Po­Chuen Shieh

This study was not double-blind, nor did it have a control group, but it did show a dose-dependent response to pineapple. The maximum tested dose was 300g. The pineapple used in the study were slices including the core, which is thought to have more of the active ingredient. Unknown if canned de-cored pineapple has the same effect. Unknown if Bromelain supplements have the same effect. The treatment may be contraindicated if you have a low tolerance for sugar or allergic to pineapple, and care should be taken to get the acidic juices off your teeth after consumption.

3 Likes

If it lowers my long term risk of retinal detachment, I can put up with temporary issues. Most floaters are not as debilitating as the one in the center of my left eye.

These are made from the offcuts of pineapple, including the core, and I see no reason why this would not work. Easier on the tongue and teeth as well, and more suitable for the carbohydrate intolerant. In France one cannot even buy a properly ripe pineapple, and I am on a very low carb diet (40 gr carbs in 300 gr pineapple). I can live with the floaters, and would want to see more trials before ingesting bromelain supplements. But fascinating, nevertheless.

p.s. But would we want collagen breakdown in the rest of the body?

it’s been annoying for me to be honest, but I strained too much at the start when learning active focus. just be patient and don’t strain, do it in a relaxed way.

My floaters are not temporary, at least the new ones haven’t gone away since September…

I can recommend my lessons learnt to you

the first part about what I did is partly obsolete (you can only edit a post for a certain amount of time after initially writing it, so I cannot update it any more), but the lessons learnt part is not
the eye strain part I finally realised is causeed by reducing too much and your eye trying to focus in too weak glasses. Solution for me is part-time stronger lens use until your eye gets used to the new reduced lens

Very good point. I have issues with collagen in the rest of my body, so I’ve learned a bit about it. Depends on which types of collagen are affected. Type 1/2 is a short term response to injury that’s supposed to be replaced by other, stronger types later. Dissolving 1/2 might help that conversion to longer term forms. If the longer term forms are being dissolved and the body is constantly having to patch with 1/2, that seems problematic. I’ll definitely let you know if my hip tendons go wonky again after taking bromelain.

But eventually you adapt to them or they drift down out of the focal area.

How about coconuts? :crazy_face:

… if Bromelain is the only active ingredient needed for the effect.

1 Like

I recently learned that there are generally two different types of multifocal contact lenses. One has distance vision coming through the center of the lens (like a normal contact lens) and the other has near vision coming through the center and distance vision in a zone around it.

I wonder if using “Near” center vision contacts would be a way to avoid looking through floaters that are stuck in the center? Does anyone have any experience with those type of lenses?

Yes, could be other phytonutrients. I take a collagen supplement in an attempt, failed so far, to limit POP issues. I won’t spell that out, so as not to freak out the men. :crazy_face:

Depends on exactly where your floaters are. Can’t hurt to try?

Husband was really interested in the pineapple thing. I added bromelain supplements to my recurring vitamin order, but it will be awhile before my next order. I don’t do well with lots of sugar, so it’s either a kiddie cup with each meal or take half a can at bedtime so I can recover from the sugar spike and low by morning.

I took pineapple juice (made from the core of the pineapple) for 3 days. My floater is definitely still there, but I think it’s moved slightly. Maybe wishful thinking. Definitely still get a blur if I stare ahead with one eye. I bought a turmeric and bromelain supplement (what? $22? the price of convenience) and I’ve got a more economical bromelain supplement on order.

1 Like

this is so exciting! Sounds like a joke : pineapples can cure your floaters - but I am happy to try it out. I am desperate to get rid of them, they are so distracting. Very mobile, and they keep drifting across and disrupting my vision with blur, just when I am finding a bit of clarity. I’ve just got some bromelain supplements too, and am starting today. Two experimenters now!

1 Like

Low risk, low expense, and if you like pineapple tasty too…

Pineapple juice is also made from the core and stem which is belived to be the active part, but appropriate dosage unknown.

1 Like