Gem's EndMyopia Journey

Yes, there are question marks on effectiveness.
I don’t eat fish or take fish oil. I didn’t feel any change when trying vegetarian / vegan omega-3 supplements. But changing my olive oil to hemp oil made a difference for me. Sometimes I take a spoonful like you’d take the cod liver oil. And I crave for nori sometimes, so I eat them, too…

Cod liver oil supplementation can be very good for people with dry eyes because it contains omega-3s, vitamin A and vitamin D in pretty neat ratios; however, sometimes there is no deficiency and no dysfunction and environment is simply too harsh on eyeballs.
My experience after starting supplements is that it made no difference until I made lifestyle changes. So either all my problems came from the environment (unlikely, as I used to have a… questionable diet), or no matter how much you fill your body with vitamins, you need to allow it to heal by addressing everything that’s in the way. Which is consistent with how healing works in general. You need to remove ciliary spasm and overcorrection before improving myopia after all.

3 Likes

I have been so preoccupied with work this week that I have not been keeping up with the forum. Such an interesting conversation, and to hear so many people have been feeling disillusioned with the medical help/advice/support they have received at times.

I would absolutely agree. There are certainly situations where nothing but a doctor will do, and in those cases we owe our medical professionals so much. I am very grateful to them for that. But yes, chronic issues… I guess largely it is because we have been taught that our health is someone else’s responsibility, we have been taught to feel helpless, and with chronic things, only our own continual actions can fix things. And often doctors don’t even know the causes - a bit like in EndMyopia, how Jake gives the overarching idea, then it is up to us to implement day after day, and to troubleshoot if it is not having the effect we wanted to see. EndMyopia has taught me a lot about my own role in my health.

I have a container of ground flax seed in my fridge, and 2 types of seaweed as well. Having said that, they aren’t doing much good in the fridge - need to get them in my belly.

So glad it is starting to warm up here again - I think we are through the worst of the cold now. It is spring again. Heating off please! (Thanks to these weird covidy times, that winter felt both very long and very short indeed).

Also, tada:

14 Likes

Honestly I’m very impressed by your productivity. Doing these quality weekly videos, with all the editing and research and scripting behind them, while also having a full time job while ALSO being dedicated to vision improvement and regular measurement and active focus? That’s efficiency alright! :smile:
Nice vid, once again!

5 Likes

As you may imagine, Gem, this excellent video of yours is very welcome. I have been bleating on about the difference for a good while, but it is a great deal more palatable when it comes in a nicely produced video, from a pretty face. Well done!

Gem has posted the link in her video, I have just read the article, and it is the best on clinical blur adaptation I have read so far.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/cxo.13033

Just in case you are too lazy to look for it in her show notes. :grinning:

7 Likes

This study is a great find!

A bit off topic, but I’ve found the following sentence in it:

There is also evidence that myopes have reduced blur sensitivity compared to emmetropes.

Which is interesting because of two reasons:

1. Maybe it’s new just to me, but it seems like science also has a name for the “Endmyopia blur adaptation”: they call it as “blur sensitivity”
  2. It may explain why emmetropes people are harder to get myopic (ie.: can get away with seemingly more close-up): the increased blur sensitivity works as a safeguard in some ways, which the myopic people don’t have. I suspect (of course I cannot be sure) that they cannot get away with more close-up, rather they just feel better when their vision gets blurry. When they notice it (most likely unconsciously) they instinctively do short breaks (which may be just looking to somewhere else for a few seconds). Because they detect the blur quickly there isn’t much strain, so they don’t need longer breaks, it may be so short that they may not even recognize that they are taking a “distance break”. While myopic people (if they don’t use differentials) don’t even notice when they vision starts to get blurry (because of the overcorrection), or (if they use differentials) notice it later (because the reduced blur sensitivity). So their eyes already strained a lot when they notice it, so a short break is not sufficient, but they have to actually interrupt the close-up activity to alleviate it. Alternatively (in case of differentials) they don’t even interpret it as their eye is strained and just move a bit closer to the screen to get again to the edge of blur (it definitely happens to me).

A bit less off topic, another interesting quote:

Adaptation to 1.50 D of myopic defocus was also found to reduce the amplitude of the daily changes in sub-foveal and parafoveal choroidal thickness, as well as shifting the timing of the maximum and minimum values.

I’ve not checked the referenced study yet, but it implies that myopic defocus causes longer term change in the choroid (if they say that there is a change in daily changes, they must have measured longer than a few hours). Which may be an additional step in explaining how Endmyopia works.

5 Likes

Great summary!

I think this distinction can be really helpful for people who are figuring out the right normalized or who have reduced too much.

1 Like

My cousin is a doctor - he says doctors are basically good at treating the most common conditions - any rare or strange condition and you’re out of luck. Most professionals will send you off with the most common diagnosis whether or not it’s correct, just because they have a statistically high chance of being correct :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi peeps. I have opted to allow this thread to move to the public part of the forum.
Just wanted to let you know so that you could flag any posts you wanted altered/removed. I am so grateful for all your replies so far, and hope I am not upsetting anyone with my opting to make this one public.

3 Likes

Hmmm - 354 posts’ worth to plough through. I can’t imagine that I will have posted anything too personal on this thread, and if I have, too bad for me.

If anyone knows a quick way to check only one’s own posts on anyone else’s thread, please share it.

Thanks for checking this with us. :+1:t2:

1 Like

It’s a way:

Of course it will also show those posts where someone has written your name, but it’s still a good overview.

1 Like

Thanks for this. It works, but there are still too many posts I made for me to want to go through all of them. That will teach me to be so talkative. :rofl:

1 Like

PM coming your way, @Ursa - I figure who better to read through my thread than me (due to humans’ tendency to be our own favourite topics).

3 Likes

@gemilymez

Thank you so much for this. :grinning:

1 Like

PMed you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This seems to apply to all of us.

As we have no effective control over our posts on other people’s threads, trying to keep all our posts private is like trying to carry water in a sieve. It’s great that Gem has taken this into consideration before making this thread of hers public.

I don’t like the idea of turning other people’s threads into Swiss cheese, but the thought of going through all my posts on threads people are making public is daunting, and I would be very tempted by an option to delete all my posts from any thread that has gone public.

2 Likes

An actual update this time…

11 Likes

Yep. Guilty as hell.

:crazy_face:

1 Like

It’s not easy but if you look in your profile at activity, you can track your posts there.

This was unexpected but really interesting! If I remember correctly, you had very little cylinder like -.25 or something? I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s getting wobbly/starting to go away, especially since you have no cylinder correction in yours diffs. I would’ve expected you to drop it in your norms before equalizing because of the difference with your diffs. (ahh sometimes I’m happy I’m doing all this wrong, prescription complexity in two pairs of glasses is too much for me to deal with)

I’m glad to see you trying something new, and I really hope it works out well. I’m looking forward to the update! :smiley:

2 Likes