Gotten used to blur?

Just started this and have ordered my first differentials, I know you have to wait 4-6weeks before using your normalised pair of glasses. I only used to wear my glasses when I really needed them as I hated wearing them so much even though everything is blurry. Just wondering do I still need to wait a month before wearing my normalised because I’ve gotten used to the blur?

1 Like

Welcome :slightly_smiling_face:
Yes, it’s really recommended to wait a few weeks before starting to use normalized glasses. The reasons are you want to eliminate some close up strain, start to find how to active focus at close up (ideally without glasses but with differentials if very high myopia) and not doing too much focal plane changes at once. During this time, the idea is that you keep wearing your usual prescription for distance (or if strongly overcorrected, one that gives you 20/20 vision).
In your case, as you probably already have some blur adaptation (worth to take some time to collect more knowledge about this concept on the website, here and on the Youtube channel), I’d suggest to start wearing a bit more regularly distance glasses that give you 20/20 vision. You need to give your brain some clarity reference. Otherwise, when you’ll start using your normalized, it is possible that you won’t be able to find active focus or not very easily because the brain has given up trying to clear the blur.
Anyway, please consider that you don’t have to live in a complete blurry world to improve and that, if used properly, glasses are not your enemy but just a tool in your journey (and I was just like you, used to hate wearing my glasses) :wink:

Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

11 Likes

How is your vision journey going?

Not really that great. I am wearing my old actual prescription but I’m feeling so anxious. I don’t know how long I should wear it for. My diopters are L -4.50 and R -5.25 with astigmatism. I feel like if I go to wear my normalised and then I can’t find active focus I’ll have to go back again to my actual prescription and don’t want to waste more time. I have been trying to get more outdoor time but there’s not much sun in England and am also focusing on cutting down screen time. I still measure frequently even though I know the key will be when I find active focus. My differentials seem useless even though they are -1.50 diopters less they aren’t giving me any blur challenge I have to hold my arm very far away for a slight blur. The main thing I’m worrying about is how long I should wear my actual prescription for because I’ve been blur adapted for a while and only wore my glasses when I really need them. I’m thinking maybe I should wear them for two months to be safe

2 Likes

It takes some time to get started. I am a perfect example–even though my original opto wrote me reduced prescriptions for “distance” and “near” corresponding to normalized and differential, I had trouble identifying workable scripts that would work to give me sufficient clarity WITH a blur horizon I could use. It has taken me from basically August into December to get that worked out.

Just my opinion, but if your’e at the point where you’d rather wear full correction when going out than no glasses (blur adapted), you’re ready for normalized. Then it’s a question of finding and using active focus as much as possible, while keeping the ciliary lockup out of the equation.

Best of luck!

Kent

2 Likes

Well first of all realizing you are doing something is the first step I would recommend pondering. You were about to spend the rest of your life in glasses or ponder Lasik, which is the same basic thing to glasses with terrible side effects. So now you are on a journey that will be what you make of it. As far as I can tell everyone that is here has that struggle when they begin. Just trust the process will work and all you need to do really is retrain your eyes to focus.
Perhaps most people feel that there is an automatic clearing up that happens. But it is more gradual. If you spend 3 months in a pair of lenses and see no difference then you may need to re-evaluate. That feeling like you do not see blur with differentials is a good indicator that your eye is working on clearing things up and relieving spasm. That alone can take months just to get rid of ciliary spasm. Or it could mean you need to check cm distance to check your normalized pair of lenses are accurate.
Perhaps you are so concentrated on a long term goal you are missing the first steps of what your eyes are doing. Make some small goals and try to remember that even if you made 1 dioptor change that is a big improvement to what you see with the naked.
Since you didnt wear glasses, Which boggles my mind, it can take some time to remember clarity but for sure give yourself that at distance vision. Hope these suggestions help. Hope to bring you a bit of motivation too. And dont be afraid to ask questions. We send people to read about topics when they are beginning because there is a lot to learn and understand if you really need science and proof. But you can also just listen to Jake’s videos and learn a lot. But le meow has many people at different levels and we all have questions time to time.

3 Likes

Thank you. I will update and see how it goes, I’m not giving up!!

1 Like

Update: I have been able to find active focus when I am not wearing my glasses. For example, when I sit on the bus and stare at the sign on the bus it clears up for a second and then goes blurry again.

When I use my differentials, I put a piece of text on the wall and stand back far and I struggle to clear it up. I think I will reorder my differentials with a lower strength.

I think also my eyes are so dry when I try to clear it up I struggle with the double vision. I am using a heat compress daily and hope it will help. I am also getting lots of floaters when I try and clear text up with my differentials.

I have cut down my screen time to 30 minutes a day and am trying to go for walks and stay motivated. My current cm measurements are 19cm and 22cm. I will continue to update.

1 Like

Sounds like a great start! Keep taking those cm measurements so you can keep track of your progress.

3 Likes

No change in cm measurements. My screen time is 30-1 hour. I need to have more outdoor time also. I am really struggling with measuring my astigmatism using the astigmatism measuring tool.

1 Like

My cm measurements remain R19cm and L22cm. I have been wearing my full strength glasses since December and I plan to wear normalised soon. However, still no progress with differentials I am worried about messing with focal planes if I reduce it. I am working with a supportive optometrist who tells me to reduce slowly but I think they are too strong for differentials. I have completely cut down on screen time and I’m trying to go out more. I’m worried if my differentials are too strong then so will my normalised

Is your post at the beginning the optometrist reading or your cm calculation? How much astigmatism because that can change the view. And are you seeing better than 20/20 with your full strength lenses? If you have been wearing differentials this should be helping reduce ciliary spasm and if you see perfect with the full strength just get to the next step. Reduce by .25 and if that doesnt give you blur then you know you needed less. You can also ask the friendly opto if you can test a .25 reduction on their equipment and see if it gives you blur.
Worst case scenario you end up with no blur challenge and need another pair, but I think you will find that starting is the only way to figure it out.

Thanks for your reply. My optometrist reading was -5.25 and -4.50 with -1 of astigmatism in each eye. My cm measurements are 19cm and 22cm. With my full prescription glasses I can see 20/20 and make out a few letters on the line below. I have my normalised prescription but I’m waiting to wear it because I haven’t seen any improvement with my differentials yet, with this normalised I can see 20/25 in indoor lighting. I was thinking to start wearing it in the beginning of April and keep using my full prescription and diffs until then and practise print pushing more. But I’m not sure if I’ll be getting enough blur challenge.

20/25 may not be enough of a blur challenge for normalized but if you already see that distance I wouldn’t wear the full prescription. Of course you may need it for night time driving. But if I were you I would start with the normalized.
My first set of lenses were .25 lower than full strength. I had learned a few things from Jake’s videos in 2017 but I never learned about AF. So when I was fed up with my contacts I went to glasses. I had forgotten those we .25 lower. So needless to say I had trouble seeing in both eyes. When I learned about AF and began to work on that I cleared up that .25 in a matter of weeks.
I did not wear differentials just because I didnt work at computers often.
I think that getting the distance challenge is important. I dont know what your job is but I know with my job getting outside all day even if it is cloudy makes the most difference. And I dont really work close up except if I use my phone. But when I work indoors I know the lighting makes a big change in how I see. I feel that the differentials are not as important as getting distant challenge, based on my own improvements.
So just a few things to think on.

2 Likes

I agree. The differentials really help keep the ciliary spasms at bay–which is a key to making long term improvements. If you’re in ciliary spasm, your long distance AF is just working to release that spasm, and the eye isn’t getting the stimulus it needs for long term change.

My personal observation/experience, anyway.

1 Like

Yeah the normalised that I have are 0.5 less in the left eye and 0.25 less in the right eye with 0.25 less astigmatism. These give me 20/25 with the line above being a tad blurry but I can make out the letters. I think I will try wearing them for a while and see if I can read to 20/20 in a few weeks. I’m currently unemployed after finishing my nursing degree. Once I start working my screen time will go even lower but I won’t be getting a lot of outdoor time depending if I work 12 hour shifts or just find a 9-5 job. Yesterday and today I practised print pushing for 20-40 minutes and I could clear up text really well but my eyes feel very sore and dry after. Thinking of just Starting with this normalised in a few days.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply about your observation. I really hope to make a reduction. Even 0.25 would be so motivating. Hope your vision improvement is going well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have heard so many things about “indoor time not being useful,” and “glass reduces the effectiveness of distance vision,” but in my experience, it’s all fine… What really matters is getting that blur challenge at distance, as well as near constant change in focal length, i.e., looking distance, middle, near, and making sure that you’re converging your vision on the objects at that distance.

I’m moving into equalized -1.50s with cylinder correction soon, and I started at high -2.75/-3.25 with similar cylinder measurements back in the August 2019 timeframe.

2 Likes

Yeah I hope once I start using my normalised I’ll be able to see some progress. Just wondering how long it took you to have a change in your cm measurements. Was it after you used you differentials for a month?

Honestly it took a while. But…there were subjective changes I noticed before the cms started to move.

I have seen people talking about needing less strong differentials with no change in cm. I don’t know how that happens. But I definitely recommend trying to vary vision as much as possible, i.e., distance vision shouldn’t be a pill to be taken twice a day, work it in as much as possible.

2 Likes