Guide:High Diopter Gap; feedback plz

Hoping for a little help/feedback here, possibly from someone with experience. In the past week alone we have had at least 4 different people in the the facebook group asking how/if they can proceed with numbers like -6,7,8,9 in one eye and .25, .5 in the other. I would like to create a wiki page to route them too with suggestions how to approach the method from their decidedly unique positions. My biggest problems being 1. I don’t even know what to title it 2. I am seriously not qualified to write it…

Just the same here is my first stab:

"Welcome
If you are here, chances are that you have 1 diopter or less of correction in one eye while have 4 diopters or more in the other. This goes beyond the typical case of over compensated ocular dominance (redlink), though it may have begun that way. If this condition has been present since birth it is probable that there are limits to how much the EndMyopia method can help you but you won’t know what they are unless you try. If the condition is accompanied by a convergence (redlink) issue keep in mind this method only deals with refractive state (redlink). If this gap happened more recently take inventory of how you are using your eyes to create this one sided stimulus, this will be important to address as you proceed.

How to proceed
You will need to learn the method, and just like anyone else you will need to tailor it to your own specific correction needs. If you have not already start with the 7 Day email series. Once you have done that you can get very serious about exploring the additional resources available to you. Your process will proceed much the same as anyone else using the EndMyopia method, except that you will be focusing on that one weaker eye. Your differentials (redlink) will probably be plano (zero correction) on one side and properly set for the weaker eye so that it can engage in the stimulus.
You will need to incorporate patching (redlink), probably more frequently than is typically recommended. However, make sure you are being mindful to “listen” to your eyes. The visual cortex doesn’t typically like over zealous patching; so in between sessions you can try this student’s tag-in method (Tag-In Method - YouTube) to re-engage that weaker eye.
After the standard 4-6 weeks with differentials you will want to get normalized (redlink) but in your case you will have to make exceptions to the typical (equalization) approach in that you will have many monocular (single eye) reductions in a row throughout the process. It is even more important as you proceed to not reduce too soon or too much. You will likely find that your improvements will come slower than the typical student of EndMyopia; it is not uncommon for monocular reductions to take longer than binocular reductions. It is also not uncommon in monocular reductions to need to step back to the previous correction for a few weeks from time to time to help reset the clarity reference and avoid blur adaptation.

See Also: Blur Adaptation "

So, that is what I have so far. I would be glad for: title suggestions, feedback, success stories, and if anyone knows of EM articles that address this in anyway to add as references that would be great too.

5 Likes

I’m equalising atm, and to my knowledge what you do is literally what you would do for binocular drops but for just one eye. That’s my reductionism speaking hardcore though, what about patching etc. :sweat_smile:

(speaking of which… gotta read about that patching for equalising :eyes: )

It’s probably good to have a seperate guide for this case, but it usually comes back to lack of overall understanding from newcomers. The guide looks pretty good as it is though, I’d throw it up :slight_smile:

Guide:High diopter gap

Nobody, and everybody is qualified to write it at the same time :eyes:

1 Like

There’s a ton of stub articles on the wiki that are relatively useless to newcomers, but thanks to your hardwork that’s becoming rarer and rarer btw. You’re doing an awesome job and making recent changes rain green!
60px-Pengreen1

3 Likes

I am happy to do it :smiley:
Even I don’t know where to start sometimes, there is so much there, but as I drop wiki links on people, usually facebook group members, I try to fill in articles that need padding and add clarity when I can. I feel much less hesitant about it now. :slight_smile:
And on that note here is the new guide: Guide:High Diopter Gap - EndMyopia Wiki

Still trying to find if Jake has hit on this anywhere so I can pop that on there too if he has, but it is a solid start I think.

3 Likes

While the intention is very kind I believe this would be advising people with medical conditions. If they have results from an ophthalmologist, not just from a high street optometrist, then they are surely mostly aware of the underlying cause, and most probably the ophthalmologist offered options like visual training etc.
So I would be very cautious about advising these people that their journey will be similar just longer. Surely they can improve a few diopters but depending on the condition there will be limitations on the possibilities. Cannot believe that these are people who simply got their first equal -0.75D glasses at the age of 10 and progressed to their current status from there…
I might be wrong, but this is an area with lots of unknowns, at least for me.

1 Like

I hear you and I even included clarification on this, even more in the actual article than the draft here; though I can add further clarity if it seems needed.

You might want to add something about getting their eyes checked by a proper ophthalmologist if they haven’t done it yet. I’d like to believe that simple optos with machine operating certificate didn’t create such gaps, and also that they refer such people to ophthalmologists to exclude more serious issues, e.g. with eye muscles or developing a serious eye condition…

1 Like

Very nice! Even if it is the same information found elsewhere, it makes one feel the topic has been attended to.

1 Like

Usually the lead section (the first section without a header) is used to introduce the article, so I’ve remade this edit where the header is removed. That’s how the rest of the wiki has done it anyway. Hope that’s cool :smiley:

1 Like

That is fair though the ones I have seen didn’t get their numbers from thin air so I take that as implication they have been through check-ups. Just the same I will add further disclaimer.

1 Like

Done. If you like you can give it another read through. I feel the introduction should have it squared away now. The link again for ease of access Guide:High diopter gap - EndMyopia Wiki

100% I thought it was a glitch before, that is why I put it back :joy:

2 Likes

@NottNott is messing with the Chatbot Master?!? :rofl:

2 Likes

:rofl: :joy: best laugh all day!

1 Like