Has anyone found a solution for driving?

So I have been wondering if anyone has found driving to be the worst part of dioptor reductions. As I am reaching the 2 month mark on my left eye reduction I still have times that I lose my clarity when I am driving. I haven’t been able to pinpoint what changes. Obviously at night is a different story, but I mean having a sudden drop in clarity in both eyes.
Not sure if there is a hidden post on the topic or if @jakey has weighed in on this before… since he likes his motorcycles I am sure he must have been through these times. I know the topic of be Safe and where the appropriate lenses for driving has been discussed but this is more about when you see 20/20 in low light and you see clear going under 45 mph but anything over clarity goes out the car window.
Actually I do look out the car with the window down and see better than through the windshield at times. So I wonder if the refraction of the light through the windshield is a part of the reason. Again if this has been discussed before please if someone can point me to that discussion, and if anyone can weigh in on their experience. Or am I the only 1 driving around expecting to see in my current normalized???

2 Likes

Don’t know for the reflection through the windshield. I myself never experienced better vision with the window down. Are you sure your window isn’t dirty?? Haha, just joking :rofl: :upside_down_face:
More seriously, the focus difficulties you experience while driving might be because of the dynamic visual acuity, aka focusing on moving objects. We’re all different on this level. There is this article on endmyopia about it.
Imho, getting better with focusing on moving objects just part of the improvement process, as we have to learn again how to use our eyes. Just keep practicing. If you can, do some road trip as a passenger so you don’t have to fear for your security :slightly_smiling_face:
And if you have to drive and you can’t focus safely with your current normalized while driving, there is really nothing wrong to have a driving glasses that is -0.25 or even -0.5 stronger. It won’t hinder your progress if you use them just for this purpose :wink:
I also found this thread, but there may be a few more if you search with the key words “moving objects”.

2 Likes

Thank you, I do wear my glasses if need be I just am looking at an upcoming reduction and dreading the drive time. Plus I dont always know when that great clarity will hit me as no clarity when driving so I appreciate any advice or help in that area… Always need to ramp up education.:star_struck:

I am under the belief that active focus is the muscles on the outside of the eyeball pulling all at once to stretch the front opening of the eye (containing the eye lens :slight_smile: ) to achieve a bit more distance focus. So far my personal experience seems to match that.

This is significant for driving. These are the same muscles needed to rotate your eyeball around the eye socket. What I find is if I have a prescription that isn’t razor sharp at infinite with a relaxed eye, then I need to engage active focus to make it sharp. That means the four muscles pulling on the eyeball. But when driving, one must look around! To do that, the muscles must relax and turn the eyeball. It then takes a half second to “re-engage” the muscles for active focus.

The net effect is that if I’m looking around while driving, the clarity softens. If I then pick something to look at, it sharpens up.

Since I don’t like this (during driving), I have a dedicated set of glasses 0.25 stronger than my regular (active focus) glasses just for driving. They are much closer to my actual prescription, thus looking around remains sharp. The downside is much less active focus to push my eyeballs, but it’s worth it for the extra safety when driving, IMO

This isn’t how I achieve active focus… Are you sure this is the right way to do it?

Neither me and I don’t think so.

Oh I don’t know how to consciously do it just that it makes sense (pulling the front of the eye opening on en a bit more stretches the eye lens which causes it to focus further back), was just speculating on the mechanism that I feel when I get what I cause active focus in my eyes.

To me it makes sense, the cilliary muscle constricts the opening to allow the lens to contract, and over time this triggers the myopia response. Why not muscles that pull the other way to cause the opposite long term response?

Who knows if it’s what you all experience, but it is what it feels like to me and it seems to work in improving my eyes. And it explains the issues I have with driving with glasses that I can get infinite clarity (with active focus) with but get fuzzy when I drive and look around, and why slightly stronger glasses work fine for me when driving.

That probably works for you in making the clarity you expect, but it may cause eyestrain.

I feel it in the lens itself. It takes some effort to learn, but it’s really effortless, until I get tired eyes or other forms of eyestrain.

I actually think the opposite happens with active focus vs. driving. I get the best clarity when my eyes feel relaxed and when I drive I think it is harder to relax the eyes and dart around looking at all the traffic. But for sure it feels like strain when driving. I did like the post @Sandra replied with and the link to Jake’s driving conversation.
Also I had near perfect clarity last night with a slight blur but it was a bit intense like too strong of a prescription yet there was still the edge of blur. This morning however I saw perfect in dark and finally the lights were circled instead of halos. So I am still evaluating what I am doing and the next drop is coming soon. So hope to so some more research on fast moving targets. Perhaps there is another issue going on with that is making things take so long. Still thanks for adding to the topic. We all learn differently.