Has anyone made any improvements in the harsh winter months?

Its that time of year again for us in the northern hemisphere. Winter is coming quickly and Progress during this time tends to plateau or have slowed down in some of you. I am wondering if its worth maintaining consistent habits from now (Oct-Feb) or not even bother and not follow the good routine until the next season (let’s say for those who havent made much progress or are new)
Do you find that progress really diminishes during winter, or are you able to maintain no ciliary spasm until spring and see progress once winter is over.
This year im studying from home and I dont have a need to go out, unlike before I would travel to my school. I am in canda and its really cold and super snowy y’all. the cold can range from -15 to -30, generally its cold with the wind chill you can barely stay 10 minutes without freezing up. how do you guys make progress and is it even worth to maintain consistent habits, if it wont help much anyway

1 Like

Good habits will hopefully limit our losses if we can’t make gains. I definitely recommend against giving up.

3 Likes

Do you mean doing outdoor activity? Good habits also include conscious use of screen time and taking breaks too. I am completely with you as to what a chore it will be in those darker cold days between October to February. I am always thinking that I will make more gains in summer time, but alas, I am kind of a nerd and really like indoor activities, so I end up making the same amount of gains all year round. (I live in New York City, not as far north as you). I’m celebrating today though - I’m using one of my first pairs of differentials for normalized but it’s taken me like 3 years! Slow and steady…

3 Likes

It’s far from “all or nothing”. If impossible to get outdoors, just keep all the other good habits we discussed in your 9 to 5 thread. Good distance from monitor, regular breaks, relaxing the ciliary muscle, differentials, limiting smart phone time, good lights around working station, etc. And then you can still stare out of the window from your home, or from the car, just to remember what real distance is and that there are objects above 10 metres, too.
(Note: a 6m Snellen is not distance vision yet)

1 Like

My progress last winter continued unabated. But that’s because I do active focus primarily with my work PC and phone, neither of which is affected by outdoor conditions.

So it is quite possible to maintain progress, it all depends on how you achieve situations that allow for active focus.

1 Like

I had a hard core plateau last winter gaining a whole 2 cm in the course of 6 months and barely held onto my gains. Had I let myself slip into bad habits I would have regressed for sure. I am hoping I have enough in place for this winter to at least finish out this reduction and set the stage to push through another in mid spring… not looking great, as I have already slowed possibly to a full stop already :confused: Otherwise I will stay the course and hope to make up for lost time in the light season

1 Like