Headaches after removing astimatism from prescription

Hi everyone, hoping for some advice

I had high myopia
-10.75 with 0.75 cylinder, axis 5 left eye
-10.5 with 0.5 cylinder, axix 140 right eye

I made great gains to seeing around 20/40 down using
-7.75 left eye and -7.5 right eye keeping astigmatism corrections the same but then I thought I would remove the astigmatism component for the next reduction.

As my left eye was doing better I went for -7 both eyes for reading and -8.25 left with -8 right for distance, adding a bit to compensate for removing the astigmatism correction. This ended up in headaches, even though I get a lot of clear flashes to the point I can watch tv almost clearly but having to refocus every so often.

I need to deal with the headaches so I’m going to go for -7.25 left eye and -7 right eye for reading and up the distance to -8.5 left eye and -8.25 right eye leaving off astimatism correction. I’m hoping this will get rid of the headaches as i had previously worn contacts without astimatism correction so I assume it should work, but if not I’m going to revert back to having the astimatism correction on both lenses :frowning:

Any advice appreciated

It seems like a good idea to step back to the non-equalized correction. The headaches might not be due to astigmatism removal, but due to equalization and a non-equalized correction for distance. Great gains by the way, hopefully you get rid of the headaches with new glasses too. Best of luck!

3 Likes

Making multiple changes at once can challenge your body too much. Try stepping back to the prior lenses until you have recovered, then just change one thing a small amount in your next pair.

1 Like

Thanks everyone, will update soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to update, seems to have done trick going to non equalised rx!

1 Like