Hello from Maine!

Hey crew! I’ve debated joining endmyopia for, like, a year, but finally decided to take the plunge. My DIY methods weren’t quite cutting it…

I’m 34 and have been in glasses/contacts since age 9. I tpped out at -5 a number of years ago, with dry, contact-weary eyes to show for it. After stumbling across the Bates Method about a year ago, I became intrigued by the idea of fixing my visions (and talking about it constantly; my brother calls it my Big Glasses conspiracy theory :laughing:). I immediately bought WAY low glasses (-3) and got to work.

Surprisingly, I did really well with distance vision at first -if the sun was out and I had plenty of time to blink/accomodate. I think it was because I spent a lot of time on the highway, driving for work, scanning horizons. But my medium and close vision remained a challenge, and indoors? Forget about it. Since covid stopped my work travel/highway driving, I lost touch with working on my eyes altogether.

Somewhere along the way I found endmyopia, which appealed to me WAY more than Bates for its matter-of-factness and, of course, science. I’m not really one to mindset and yoga my way into physiological change. So here I am. Working on active focus around my house, and super excited to prioritize my vision again this year.

Looking forward to getting to know y’all and hearing about your experiences!

3 Likes

I’d say just go have proper habits and don’t reduce much.
Especially at your range, you’d not want to burden yourself with too much weakened glasses.
Go for 0.25 reductions. Or 0.50 if you think your eyes are strained by too much close up in distance glasses and you have got strong active focus.

I’d recommend to use glasses at such not so high myopia.

You also might want to try RGP contacts if you like contacts and soft lenses do not satisfy you in some manner. But be aware it is rather very hard to get used as it is basically a piece of glass/plastic in your eye. The major upside is very sharp vision (the sharpest from all glasses and contacts), yet the downsides are risk of irritation when sand or dust goes in between the lens and eye, also more thinning of cornea + very long (2 weeks or more) and painful intro. I myself consider to migrate to RGPs due to high myopia and astigmatism. And dry eyes causing unstable vision with soft contacts - with RGPs, I’d have vision as sharp as with glasses (20/10 or better if place some glasses over reduced contacts) as well as less dry eyes.

1 Like

welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Thank you, Markiyan! I appreciate the feedback. I definitely don’t want to reduce too much and strain my eyes, or -god forbd!- get blur adapted. I haven’t heard of RGP contact lenses but I’ll check them out. I do a few sports -skiing, surfing, sailing- that glasses are a bit difficult for and usually resort to my -5 soft lenses, which I don’t love at this point.

1 Like

RGP lenses could accidentally fall down from your eye on side gaze.
Not sure how often and whether their technology hasn’t perfected.

I will also try Ortho C lenses to see whether it could restore active focus and easy ciliary function in my eyes. Ortho C is not Ortho K. Maybe it could reduce my myopia by say 10-30%. They’re plain RGP lenses with a certain curvature, diameter and center thickness. I decide whether it should be 0.14 or 0.16 mm. 0.16 mm center thickness is more aggressive. Also there’s a need to choose between 9.2 and 9.5 mm diameter.

Most peeps on this forum wouldn’t like half-baked and aggressive solutions for their eyes, but I am not among of them because I was too lazy and indifferent to prevent my high myopia so now I try every single thing having some science behind it and shown to be without or with minimum side effects.

1 Like

Kind of love this attitude!

1 Like