Hi all, I'm Christina

Hi, I’m Christina, currently living in Boulder, Colorado USA. I work in atmospheric science research, with a focus on thunderstorms, aviation weather, and model evaluation. My favorite ways to spend outdoor time are rock climbing and cloud watching :grinning:.

In some ways, I think I’ve always been skeptical about mainstream optometry, and the idea that you have to rely on the crutch for the rest of your life. However, there were two events that convinced me to start researching alternate ways to improve eyesight. First, I got a personal trainer certification and therefore learned about muscle compensation patterns in the body. Second, a friend of mine who had recently started wearing glasses told me that he thought he could actually see better when doing fine detailed work, since his distance vision had worsened. So, this started my flurry of research into the anatomy of the eye, and vision improvement. I found Todd Becker’s video and webpage and from a post on there came to endmyopia.

Growing up, I had great vision, being able to read the 20/10 line on a Snellen. I didn’t have any problems until my final year of college and graduate school, abusing my eyes studying into all hours of the night. At one point, I didn’t feel that I could see very well anymore when driving at night. Though it turned out I could still read the 20/20 line on a Snellen (a decrease of 2 lines for me), my main problem has been astigmatism. So, my focus going forward is reducing that astigmatism and preventing my vision from getting worse. I’ve managed to drop 0.25 of astigmatism in both eyes (optometrist confirmed, a few months ago), though progress is slow. Fortunately, I have a good optometrist who was hesitant to prescribe the astigmatism (unless I really felt unsafe driving).

I’m excited to be here, and to keep moving forward.

14 Likes

Hi Christina,

The real life and outdoor stuff is already solid in your case. Great! So you have very little myopia and just some astigmatism? How long since you have started with EM? Must be kinda hard with those small deficiencies to get it to clear up.

My wife has -0,25, bringing her to 20/25 or 20/30 depending on the lighting. How do you get active focus to work in such low cases? What did you do to get it?

Hi Christina, great intro… And congrats on getting in tune with your body and eyes! I am curious to know more about your friend’s theory of fine detail work: is it similar to active focus, or quite the contrary?

I too came across Todd’s site before EM… His hormesis post caught my eye and I’ve been practicing active focus / push print on and off ever since ~2011/2012. However, I recently found EM just this June and I’m ready to make it a habit for permanent improvement. I only wish I knew about this site sooner!! I had unfortunately put my vision improvement on the back burner the last three years.

I can’t wait to hear your success… You’ll get there! My goal is 20/20, but I’d be euphoric if I were able to go beyond!! We’re all in this together… I’m so happy Jake created this non FB forum for us :smiley_cat:

Hi Laurens:

Yes, I have very little myopia, with some astigmatism. I found the EM website maybe 2 years ago, but initially spent a substantial amount of time changing my habits (i.e. increasing breaks, moving my monitor back, better lighting, tracking measurements, etc.). I probably spent about 8 months on all of this, which is likely more than you need. However, I tend to be over-analytical, and I was afraid that variability in my eyesight due to things like alcoholic beverages, stress, etc would cause me to give up and quit the journey. So, I wanted to have a good baseline for that variability so I didn’t become discouraged.

And yes, it’s been very hard to get things to clear up. I struggled a lot with active focus in the beginning. My primary issue was that I had to stand so far away to get to the edge of blur that I was honestly never sure if I was really on the edge, or too far, or something else like glare was making things worse. I should also note that I’m not a part of back to 20/20, so everything I’ve tried has just been my own experimentation.

What I ended up doing was getting a cheap plus, and working on active focus that way, combined with working on it at distance. I would only use the for very short periods maybe once or twice a day, and all other active focus work was at distance. With the plus, it was much easier for me to tell when I was on the edge of blur, and that gave me some confidence that I was actually doing things right. I’m honestly not sure if it was the plus that enabled me to get active focus, or if it just made me confident enough to keep working on it until I finally got it.

Of course, plus can come with issues of it’s own, so that’s something to keep in mind if trying this tactic.

With the astigmatism, it’s most pronounced at night. Since I’m over-analytical, I made myself a powerpoint slide with bright text on dark (one of the easiest ways in which I could see directional blur) and practiced clearing it on that. This is probably overkill, but it’s easy to see, with text, when something has become clear.

2 Likes

My friend who recently began wearing glasses said he actually felt like his close vision was better, in conjunction with his distance vision deteriorating. That person is an electrical engineer, and has in the past done fine detailed work such as soldering with a microscope. I don’t know exactly what to make of this, but it reminded me of a personal training principle (as an example, people who sit at a desk all day often end up with tight hip flexors and lengthened hamstrings, since that’s the position your muscles take while sitting).

1 Like

Thanks @WxClimb,

This is pretty much the info I’ve been looking for. You are an expert through experience and it worked for you. I did think of giving my wife some + glasses and a book so she should be able te learn active focus. It’s great to hear that this worked out well for you. What + prescription did you use?

The powerpoint slide is really great, Jake has a similar pdf in backto2020 to clear up double vision. You’ve made some great and well thought out decisions for yourself in the process. Impressive!

Would you consider sharing that slide in the forum so people with double vision or astigmatism can practise on it?

Hi @Laurens:

If I recall correctly, I used either a +2 or +2.5. I think what I did was go to a store and try some on, and just tested whether I was able to see the edge of blue easier on some text in the store. Then I selected the number I thought made it easiest. It was very scientific…not.

I’d be happy to share my slide, though I should probably make edits before sharing it. Right now, it’s set up for my level of astigmatism (very low) and the distance I normally work with it. But probably it would be more usable to others if I put a few different sizes of text on the slide (to give more options).

1 Like

Hi @WxClimb,

Thanks for the advise. I have some +1.5 glasses laying around, if that’s not enough I’ll try something higher in the store.

The beautiful thing about you having a digital aid to revert your astigmatism is that you can zoom in/out and/or increase font size. That in itself makes it useful pretty quickly.

I just got a cheap pair in the store. I didn’t worry about an anti-reflective coating or anything since I was only using them in very short intervals to try and achieve active focus. If you are using them for longer periods though, may want the anti-reflective.

That’s a good point about my slide being digital. Maybe I should make a more generalized version into a pdf, but then also make my slide available for those who have software for it, so they could modify it to their own needs. It’ll probably be the end of the week before I get to this editing (busy week at work so not much screen time left)

1 Like