High astigmatism success stories

Did anyone here successfully reduced more than 2 Diopters of astigmatism?

If so i’d love to know more details
How?
Do you find that the improvement rate for SPH and CYL reduction to be different?

2 Likes

A big thing with high astigmatism is a test lens kit. I generally don’t advocate for buying them (because it’s just one more thing I have to listen to complaints about then later, and for most people it’s not really necessary).

But to keep track of how much cylinder you can reduce, it’s occasionally quite handy to have a proper test lens kit. A friendly optometrist who may let you use his/hers from time to time would even do the trick.

2 Likes

Appreciate you taking the time to respond :grinning:

I do have a test lens kit (a cheap one, so it is hard to work with astigmatism with it)
I measure cm, and i see improvements.
the thing is, the improvements in SPH are faster and noticable,
but the improvements in CYL are barely noticable, if at all.
I have no doubt that it will improve eventually, but it seems to me like it takes at least twice the amount of time (or more) to improve 0.25 of CYL compared to 0.25 of SPH.
maybe i am doing something wrong…
i posted this because it is interesting to learn from other people’s experiences.

1 Like

Yes, astigmatism creating directional blur challenge makes it more difficult to resolve for some. If you get a consistent habit of fusing the image though and making reductions, you’l get there.

Caveat: If there is a physical issue with the cornea (can be measured at the ophthalmologist), it may not be reversible. Pretty rare though - if your first ‘prescription’ had high astigmatism, then this is a more plausible scenario.

Always try to have at least 1-2 spherical reductions between cylinder reductions.

3 Likes

Thank you again!

Really good point in the Caveat.
I should go do that test sometime…

anyway, i’ll update how it goes.
So far SPH reductions are very smooth (about 0.25 per two months)

It took me a long time to be able to clear the blur from astigmatism with any consistency. Keep working at it and I think it will get easier.

3 Likes

I did Corneal topography how do i know if there is a physical issue with the cornea i been told it only astigmatism thank you

2 Likes

My first prescription had astigmatism, what test should I do (ask my ophthalmologist to do) to determine this 100%?
I reduced my myopia in left eye almost completely, but astigmatism is a tough one.

1 Like

what I personally do, that is print out different astigmatism test images found on internet and put them on the wall and try to bring/hold all lines into clarity. Then I look on snellen chart and everything is clear.

3 Likes