💪 👁 Hormesis and Eyesight

Hey everyone,

I just watched a good explainer of Hormesis with Todd Becker.

I know, I know. Don’t mention the plus lenses and give jake another round of email headaches.

But I really like the way that Becker frames all of his research, including myopia reduction, through the lense of hormesis.

This is the most important slide of his presentation. That I thought might stimulate some more conversation around our EM practices and hormesis.

So my thought process atm is “What EM practices embrace hormesis?” Especially the ones above.

Looking through this lense my first thought is that EM definitely engages with the first three principles, placsticity, specificity and super compensation.

My second thought is that maybe EM does not engage in the last two as directly, secondary adaptation or intermittency.

EM is effective because it bases improvements on habit building.

The downside of habit building is that it may not be intermittent or oscilating.

Intermittency would lead us down the rabbithole of exercises.

My third thought is that maybe there are some things that we could engage in that would be considered as intermittent or oscilating.

For example. Doing a zero diopter reset once a week and really pushing your eyes to the limit and then using our usual normalised for the other days.

Please don’t take this as unicorn farming or finding another “he who shall not be named” cheat/hack.

This is very much to stimulate conversation around the idea of myopia reduction and hormesis.

Interested to hear people’s thoughts!

4 Likes

Nice.

Todd Becker’s Myopia: A Modern Yet Reversible Disease is what got me into the idea of looking into natural vision improvement in the first place. His comparison to hormesis is part of what sold me on taking it seriously since it made a lot of logical sense to me.

While what he promotes isn’t as well defined as EM, I appreciate his style and approach.

2 Likes

An excellent slide summing up the principles of hormesis. I believe it is the answer to a lot of health issues, and I have been following Todd for a good while. If this is unicorm farming, let me become a unicorn farmer. :rofl: I am already very much a black swan and a black sheep.

I agree that intermittency is important and that is why I worry about people striving for constant AF. Stress oscillation can be achieved, as you say, by zero diopter periods, or if one has too much myopia to tolerate zero diopter, at least periods of very low correction.

yes. Ive been thinking about this too.

Have you tried this yourself? I’ve only done zero diopter resets when I move to a new diopter set. But havent tried it as a specific ocilating ercercise?

same with me! then I found EM and I was set.

2 Likes

I am permanently at zero diopter, hence the black swan and the black sheep. My oscillation occurs when I very briefly wear some correction for measuring and reference to clarity at a certain distance. Of course each eye has its own reference to clarity at some distance, although not at 6 m. This was possible on account of the low myopia in one of my eyes, a life not stuck to a screen, and many years of no glasses except for driving.

1 Like

I wonder if my going about ordinary household tasks without my -1.50 glasses is the equivalent of the intermittency recommended above. I sometimes worry that I’m overdoing the going-commando bit in the house, since some things are more than a little blurry. I certainly still need glasses outdoors—not for survival or even ordinary navigational convenience, but just for curiosity about my surroundings and for recognizing (or avoiding!) acquaintances approaching in the distance. Same thing in the supermarket: I could get by fine without glasses for the practical task of shopping (and eliminate the fogging-up caused by the mask), but it could be socially awkward.

That depends very much on how dirt tolerant one is. I choose dirt over glasses. :laughing:

The structured course has some of these things. Found it helpful with plateaus and steady progress to some degree. :grimacing:

7 Likes

Interesting!

Did you base them off hormesis?
Or came to it through some other means?

Indeed :+1:

I think it does - at least there’s intermittency and stress oscillation with trouble shooting. Anything to nudge the eyes!

1 Like

I am doing the zero diopter reset and I felt like i was doing amazing progress and that I could see quite clearly outside! Then I had to reconsider as a few friends told me I totally ignored them in the street :joy:

1 Like

Maybe I should consider doing that and give my eyes a break from the zero diopter challenge at all time!

1 Like

I wore my differentials all day yesterday and today I could see noticeably clearer with my usual normalized.

3 Likes