How do lenses with cylinder correction work?

Weird question, but hoping I can get some feedback on whether I am thinking about this the right way. My prescription is R: -5.25SPH/-1.25CYL/177 axis, L: -5.25SPH/-1CYL/2 axis

I notice when looking out my window at work during screen breaks, if I focus on my speed limit sign landmark, I can see the sign perfectly if I look through the center of my lenses. But if I look through the top of the lenses or bottom, I get some slight blur that I try to clear up with active focus.

Given the 177 and 2 axis numbers of my prescription, the cylinders of correction are running basically horizontal across my lenses, is that correct?

If so, is it right to think that if I look out the very bottom or very top of my lenses, I’m getting only a spherical correction? I ask this because I’ve been using this technique to introduce some blur for distance and are unsure if I’m just confusing the hell out of my visual cortex or if this could be a valid way to practice active focus.

Probably not…the spherical correction is intended to correct central and and peripheral vision to correlate to the retinal sphere. Better to use reduced lens for the entire sphere for active focus.

It’s interesting how our peripheral with no correction is clearer than our central vision. One reason I find Orfield’s Seeing Space study on the peripheral to improve our central vision to be very fascinating.

6 Likes