How do you approach your ophthalmologist about your reduced lens prescription?

Before I discovered EM, I went to an ophthalmologist for an eye exam for the first time in forever. They tested my “official” eye prescription for glasses. I didn’t save any of my past prescriptions, so I considered that one to be my starting point.

Now that I’m riding the EM train, I’m not sure if I should (for my future eye health appointments):

A: Go back to the same eye doctor, try to explain my normalized prescription(s) and the EM concept I’ve been working on.

B: Start afresh and find a new eye doctor who doesn’t have my record. Talk about the EM concept then.

C: Try A first, then B if things go south :sweat_smile:

Does anyone have any experience on this? :thinking: Would an ophthalmologist theoretically be more understanding than a optometrist? Or has the entire optometry market machine dominated the eye healthcare platform too?

1 Like

I’d probably stay with the same doctor if you liked them and thought they did a good job. Doctors vary tremendously in terms of personality and openness. There are doctors who hate over-prescribing anything and there are ones who want to apply the maximum amount of treatment possible and rush you into surgery at the drop of a hat.

You don’t really have to tell them what you’ve been up to. If you go in and he says “well, whatever you’re doing keep doing it, your eyes look great we can reduce your prescription, have you been spending more time outdoors?” that’s one thing. If he just glances at your chart with a cursory examination and says you’re due to switch from -4 to -4.5 because its been six months and you should consider LASIK then you probably want to find a new doctor.

In general I’d probably feel better seeing an ophthalmologist than a retail shop optometrist, but there are good (and bad) people everywhere. I think you’d want someone that focuses on rehabilitation rather than surgery, it’s really just a matter of their philosophy and interests. If you find someone who believes in vision therapy you’d probably have better luck than someone who just claims what you’re trying to do won’t work.

You won’t know until you try! I would guess that most patients aren’t interested in changing their habits and just show up whenever they want stronger glasses.

4 Likes

I went to my same opto but left out the EM part. I figure at some point maybe he will ask, but I am leaving alone until then. More on my visit here:My Journey (part 3) Optometrist confirmation of gainz - YouTube

3 Likes

Triple checks… confirms sizable gap. “It’s not unheard of for it to trend the other way as we age.” lol

I guess you’ve officially “outgrown” your “childhood myopia.”

I wonder if he thinks he really screwed up the earlier measurement. (How could I have been off by that much? WTF? Did I write it down wrong?) I’d be really curious what his internal dialog was there. You know he’s somewhere between “something’s not right” and “this isn’t possible”… finally lands on “must be age-related.”

5 Likes

I know right! I think he checked my age at one point to see if presbyopia was a factor, but that isn’t it, beside which I don’t think the age related trend the other way could fit most of two diopters, especially in two years, especially for someone under 40! :joy: :joy:
Poor guy did actually look frazzled before I left but never asked me any questions cuz he had to get to the next customer… But it was certainly the most fun I have ever had at the opto :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Consider the opto as a reference point who gives you eagle eyes for night driving in rain after a super tiring day at office, etc. Let them measure your eyes like they used to before you took the red pill of EM knowledge. And just have a habit of always adjusting the “objective opto overmeasurement” to your comfortable normal lifestyle norms and diffs.

If you walk in with your glasses on, they have a habit of measuring your glasses and not even imagining that your eyes could be better than those, so those glasses become the bare minimum correction you need… and then if you went to see them you surely need new stronger glasses, no? So existing glasses plus a quarter or a half diopter is almost guaranteed.

If your eyesight allows, go to the opto without glasses and say you lost them. If your eyesight is not that good, go with your diffs and show them as the glasses you currently wear.
I don’t talk about EM and the cult. I do mention though that I noticed that my prescription seems to be a tad too strong if worn in front of the monitor or on a sunny day. This gives an indication to them that I don’t need correction to 20/15 but I’m a patient who will be OK with 20/20, too.

6 Likes

I’m actually kind of hesitant about NOT telling them :open_mouth:…wouldn’t the ophthalmologist also keep a record of your eye prescription, and use that a reference when measuring your eye acuity for every future appointment down the line? Plus now that they have records of your eye health as well. Hopefully this never happens, but if in the future you need to do some eye surgery/treatment from them, wouldn’t they take into account the eye prescription that they have on record when they formulate a treatment plan? (Like for intraocular lens (IOL) implants… :scream:)

Couldn’t agree more. :raised_hand: I guess it just makes the world that more interesting~ :joy:

Good point. :+1: At the very least next time I’ll express my desire to not want stronger glasses. Complain of headaches or something :wink:

Ugh yeah this is what I’m afraid of about going to optometrists; just taking your glasses as the correct measurement and only using an autorefractor to measure for “worser” eyesight. No phoropter test and no room for improvement :cold_sweat:

Oh dang :sweat_smile: Well my eyesight is certainly not good enough for walk-ins without glasses on (and they are complex prescription glasses). As for using differentials…for me there’s a -1.5D difference between my normalized and differentials. Wouldn’t my autorefractor results freak them out? “Whoa, you definitely need new glasses! At least add -1D!” :joy:

When you mentioned that, did they try to sell you computer glasses? I suspect they’ll market those blue light filtered computer glasses (aka differentials) more nowadays, thanks to covid :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Lol :joy: Sounds like the guy really panicked for a full minute! “Oh no, my autorefractor why~…I trusted you~~”

4 Likes

:joy: I don’t think he knew what to think, I doubt he has seen more than a half diopter of improvement (due to presbyopia) in all his career! I am kind of looking forward to seeing how he handles my continued trend for improvement when I go again, most likely next year. Going to wait for a larger gap again, makes it more fun besides I have never gone to the opto more often than bi-annually, though there was that space of time I didn’t got for like 10 years…).

My complaints were very real… and never really taken seriously. The primary factor that gave me the nerve to return to this opto knowing he full well had my records is that he did measure me for close-work correction in 2018. Only at my request naturally and he checked me for presbyopia, though at the time I had no idea why he was so impressed that I could read much closer than I had asked him to set me for. Though now that I know he thought presbyopia was the cause of my discomfort doing near work in full correction it is kind of amusing since at the time I was 33! Interestingly he didn’t screen me for presbyopia in 2020 when I went back with a distance correction even lower than he had set for near work two years prior… One of few times in my life I truly wished I knew, unfiltered, what someone was thinking.

3 Likes

Love it :grin:

Yeah the lazy asses! I made that mistake at the start of EM that I went to a new opto but took my full prescription. Though it was life 6 years old they measured the glasses as you say and did a very quick eye test, the lazy asses an just said my eyes had not changed. Could have been worse I guess

I skip my eye doctor appointments unless I need a Rx. The place I buy my glasses from require a Rx if I am to return my glasses. They cut lenses much thinner than Zennis and I’m a high myope.

But when I do go in I usually write down the Rx I’m looking for and say I’m looking for 20/30 or 20/40 vision and I find that ‘X’ diopters work well for me and ‘X’ cylinders work. So they’ll do a check and write me the Rx I wanted. Never had a problem with the 3 different eye doctors and I never bring up EM.

4 Likes

It’s not laziness. Or not of the opto’s laziness necessarily.
The last opto explained to me that she corrects to 20/20 when she prescribes the very first glasses to someone. But if someone has already been wearing glasses and comes in for a new prescription she will correct to more than 20/20. It’s because people through their previous corrections are used to better than 20/20 vision with fresh glasses. If she corrects to 20/20 only then people come back complaining that the vision is not sharp enough and as a chain optometry they have to replace the glasses free.
So who is lazy?

But that’s the point exactly. By offering your diffs to be measured, you already allow some room to confirm lower prescription. And you should not worry about what freaks THEM out :wink:
With my last opto check I told the opto I wasn’t wearing glasses and she told me I didn’t need to wear glasses not even for driving. Do you think the same would have happened if I’d had my -2D glasses with me from 2019?

No, they didn’t try selling computer glasses as I told them upfront that I wasn’t interested in buying any glasses. My view on the blue light blocking anyway is that you best block the blue light by not looking at any screens 2 hours before bedtime. 100% blocking guaranteed.

I now have 2 confirmed reductions from 2 different optos. European optos have this stock answer:
There are a few people whose presbyopia simply knocks off straight from the minus sph diopters so these people don’t need multifocal glasses because the plus and minus don’t split. So both optos told me that I was one of these people and with a very early onset of presbyopia. And then both told me that it would be temporary and I would end up with single focal reading glasses in a decade or so. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Ooooh. I see how that thought process works.
Makes me so grateful to be in a community like this where I can learn and understand how all this works, rather than handing over my eyes to someone else to organise, who has to consider all these general trends, not just my eyes and my personality. The only person who can tailor an approach so precisely to my needs is… welll… me!

I have made a photo of my optometrist’s shop my lock screen on my phone. Reminds me every time I want to look at my phone of how great it is going to feel going back to that opto and confusing him XD

He did tell me to reduce screen time, get outdoors more, join a sport team or something (I was rather impressed). So I will be happy to return and tell him I have been following his recommendations thank you kindly yes please. Hopefully he will feel so influential that he won’t have a problem accepting my improvements. Hehe.

7 Likes

:rofl: :sweat_smile:LOVE this!!!

2 Likes

:grinning: What part of the world can I find such nice eye doctors? So far all the eye doctors I’ve been to just told me what I needed rather than what I wanted. :sob:

True that. :laughing: For me it’ll take a long while before an optometrist even dares to say I don’t need glasses for driving. I really hope I can one day though; I’ve been taking off my glasses between traffic stops to air out the fogginess it gets from my mask breathing!

3 Likes

Then find another eye doctor or just order online and skip the Rx route. :slight_smile:

Brilliant! Really smart.

2 Likes

This is a great thread. My great eye dr just retired. (She had taught me active focus and gave me normalised and differentials). I asked her what to say to the new eye dr when I have to go there.

She said I should tell them that perceptually I need to wear an undercorrected prescrip. (her emphasis on perceptually) And that I should ask to be shown the numbers, and test any new prescrip with the test lenses before settling on any changes (ie walk around the room in normal lighting with the test lenses in the dr office)…

I hope that helps someone. I love the idea of having them start with my differentials and I’m going to do that too.

3 Likes

Thanks, that indeed is helpful. :relaxed: I actually don’t recall being given trial frames with the new prescription lenses to walk around in. They just measured my glasses + autorefractor test + phoropter test in a dim room. I guess each eye doctor measures for eye acuity differently? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: (Or are they supposed to have me walk around with the trial lens on & I’m just that unaware? :no_mouth:)