How Jake found ACTIVE FOCUS?

It just poped in my mind about AF because @jakey you probably have no one as your master or hope to get back to 20/20 so how do you manage to get this MAGICAL SPELL from nowhere.

1 Like

Jake hasn’t found active focus. He’s just a librarian. :stuck_out_tongue:

Quoting from him:
“And you guys know me, I’m all for solutions. Most of endmyopia is the collected wisdom of thousands of fellow darling participants all having trial-ed and error-ed every sort of conceivable variation of ideas. I’m nothing more than the librarian here, keeping score of what seems to work most effectively.”

3 Likes

I just wanted to know that how this idea came to existence.

Maybe he got it from Alex Frauenfeld. Just speculating tho.

1 Like

I don’t think because why an opto will give his idea to someone.

I discovered what we call active focus back in 2002 or so. I’d always been able to fuzz my view (which I now know is another form of closer accommodation that doesn’t involve the ciliary muscles). Back in 2002 when I had dreams about becoming an astronaut, I tried to reduce my myopia (to be able to pass the then vision requirements). I found that if I fuzzed, I could see slightly further after I relaxed, then “pushed” focus beyond my initial point kinda like a rebound. This is what I use today to “find” AF, and I’ve dropped almost 2 diopters this time around.

I even reduced my glasses back then and used what we call differentials to reduce ciliary muscle use on PCs.

The missing piece (and why you all talk about Jake and not me :wink: ) is I didn’t know how long it took. After 9 months (and 0.5D improvement) I bailed on the idea (but kept the diffs).

This time around I’m sticking with it. It’s also why I recognized what Jake was talking about because I had already done it.

And I doubt Jake and I are the only ones to stumble upon this. A good idea will come up from time to time!

1 Like

Amazing
So there are people who know about this spell but they don’t realize it.(HIT & TRIAL: it works :nerd_face:)

One of my pet theories on why some people never get myopia despite lots of close up is they “discovered” active focus, and use it unconsciously to keep stuff sharp when their eyes go slightly myopic (from close-up). In other words, because they figured out how to push focus a bit when young, when the blackboard became a bit hard to read, they’d “clear it”. Thus they activate the myopia reversing tendency, and never climbed onto the myopia treadmill. To them, this is just normal natural seeing, doesn’t everyone do it?, it’s how you see a bit further when you’re having an “off” day and the blackboard, etc is a bit fuzzy. Often people who never get nearsighted will mention their vision is a bit blurry on some days, as if it’s temporary like a headache.

Beg to differ: they never forgot active focus

2 Likes

As a nine year old reader, when the blackboard got fuzzy for me, I put my head down on the desk and kept reading the book in my lap.

That’s how I got on the :frowning: myopia train.

3 Likes

This is what Bates was referring to in his book by recommending teachers put eye charts up in the classrooms for children to look at periodically. When I read that the first time I reasoned that if I had looked at a blurry eye chart in the classroom my vision would not have improved. Within the context of EM, though, it makes sense to have it there before myopia begins and have all children practice clearing it, not just looking at it blurred.

2 Likes