Huberman Lab Podcast - vision and lights

Interesting points on the eyes being part of the brain, just outside the skull. Not just connected to or related to the brain but being the actual part of the brain.
(If this is true, does it mean that Lasik is actually brain surgery?!? :thinking: )

Dr Huberman’s focus is not on vision improvement but on the brain processing information (not just vision related information) through the eyes. He is a neuroscientist.
I had a few attempts trying to point out important 5-minute sections from this but it proved impossible.
So here is an interview discussing morning light, evening light, screen light at night, blue light (from about 17:49), red light, walking with smart phone, angle of light, etc.

This is the 30 minute summary
(skip the first 5 minutes, Dhru puts all the ads there, but then there are no ads within the podcast)

This is the full podcast:

4 Likes

Huberman!

Very good stuff

2 Likes

I was expecting it soon and now it’s out

Thanks, @AznDudeIsOn for pointing at his new own podcast a few weeks ago!

Timestamps:
00:00:00 Introduction
00:04:51 Protocol: Concurrent Training For Endurance, Strength, Hypertrophy
00:07:24 The Senses, Vision, Seeing & What We Should All Do To See Better
00:10:35 Our Eyes: What They Really Do, & How They Work
00:14:30 Converting Light Into Electricity Language: Photoreceptors, Retinal Ganglion Cells
00:17:00 We Don’t See Anything Directly: It Is All A Comparison Of Reflected Light
00:19:35 Dogs, Cats, Snakes, Squirrels, Shrimps, Diving Birds, & You(r View Of The World)
00:24:05 Everything You See Is A Best Guess, Blind Spots
00:25:50 Depth Perception
00:28:00 Subconscious Vision: Light, Mood, Metabolism, Dopamine; Frog’s Skin In Your Eyes
00:32:00 Blue-Yellow Light, Sunlight; & Protocol 1 For Better Biology & Psychology;
00:35:00 Protocol 2: Prevent & Offset Near-Sightedness (Myopia): Outdoors 2 Hours Per Day
00:42:00 Improving Focus: Visual & Mental; Accommodation, Your Pupils & Your Bendy Lens
00:48:50 Protocol 3: Distance Viewing For 20min For Every 90 Minutes of “Close Viewing”
00:52:20 Protocol 4: Self-Generated Optic Flow; Move Yourself Through Space Daily
00:54:26 Protocol 5: Be More Alert; Eyelids, Eye Size, Chin Position, Looking Up Versus Down
00:59:21 Protocol 6: Sleep In A Very Dark Room To Prevent Myopia (Nearsightedness)
01:02:55 Color Vision, Colorblindness, Use Magentas Not Reds,
01:04:32 Protocol 7: Keeping Your Vision Sharp With Distance Viewing Every Day
01:06:05 Protocol 8: Smooth Pursuit
01:08:48 Protocol 9: Near-Far Visual Training 2-3 Minutes 3-4 Times a Week
01:13:33 Protocol 10: Red Light, Emerging Protocol To Improve Photoreceptors & Vision
01:16:20 Dry Eyes; Blinking, Protocol 11
01:18:40 Lazy Eye, Binocular Vision, Amblyopia; Triggering Rapid Brain Plasticity; Protocol 12
01:24:48 Protocol 12: Determine Your Dominant Eye; Near-Far Training
01:27:57 Visual Hallucinations: The Consequence of An Under-Active Visual Brain
01:29:47 Protocol 13: Snellen Chart: A Simple, Cost-Free Way To Test & Maintain Vision
01:33:00 Vitamin A, Lutein, Idebenone, Zeaxanthine, Astaxanthin, Blood Flow
01:44:20 Summary of Protocols, Vital Point About Blood & Oxygen For Vision
01:46:00 Episode Length, Captions, Zero-Cost Support, Instagram, Searching Topics

7 Likes

I am so happy about this. I just saw it and directly wanted to post it. Pretty sure there are going to be some great points and I am happy to see this going to the general public. The Hubermanlab is just fantastic

2 Likes

I’ve made my own timestamps.
Key=Active Focus booster

10:35-32:20 Biology. Also, some stuff about color blindness (+ at 1:03:00) and depth perception. I think 16:35-19:30, and 23:59-25:45, and 29:43-32:20 give deep insight into how sight and seeing works

32:20-34:59 (Also 1:13:29) Key to whole mind-body health: How to use your eyes for it’s original evolutionary purpose, regulating hormonal balance. Which in turn affects sleep rhythms, mood, metabolism, pain threshold, learning, memory, and all other positive biological reactions. ALL cells are affected. (Also, I highly recommend you use f.lux )

34:59-41:29 Key for preventing myopia progression: Sunlight outdoors (even if it is close-up activities outside>inside!)

42:04-43:17 and 45:55-48:43 A basic explanation of how the eye accommodates for various distances. Two Keys: 1) The relationship between visual focus and personality 2) The importance of providing a window for your lens to relax

48:43-52:09 Down with the 20-20-20 rule. Two Keys: 1) How to take breaks from close-up/screens 2) Lens Elasticity.

52:20-54:09 Key: Self-generated optic flow

54:32-59:18 Key: Alertness. The relationship between distance viewing and your level of wakefulness and phone viewing

59:24-1:02:06 Key for both Mental and Eye Health: The relationship between myopia and nightlights and exposure to light at night and your immune system

1:04:28-1:06:00 Key: Distant distance vision and horizons

1:06:00-1:08:50 Key: Smooth Pursuit Stimuli

1:08:50-1:13:29 Key: Training Accommodation via Near-Far stimuli

1:16:24-1:17:56 Key: Treating Dry Eye. Blinking

1:18:36-1:21:40 Lazy Eye, Ambylopia, Eye Patching

1:24:40-1:27:53 Strabismus, Prisms, Eye Exercises. Key for Non-Dominant Eye issues: Balanced Visual Input

1:29:46-1:32:09 Key: Snellen, vision testing, and avoid over-correcting

1:33:23-1:39:06 Key Eye Vitamins. Eggs

1:45:02-1:45:49 Key: Blood Flow

4 Likes

Huberman has recently shared the science-backed protocols for improving and maintaining your vision. I tried to provide timestamps in the above to cut out the not so practical. But I practically listed the whole video because there’s gems after gems after gems. I highly recommended watching this podcast.

@jakey I know you’re a busy guy so here’s my summary of the 2-hours podcast about science-backed anti-myopia protocols.

Differences between Science and EndMyopia:
What you’ll notice about this 2 hour podcast, and how it differs from Jake’s videos is that what Huberman describes are mostly protocols, hard concrete things for you to do rather than the more choose-your-own-path style Jake does. But that’s just the nature of doing science experiments, you’re going to do what you can do in a lab-environment, and if you don’t protocolize it your data is basically statistical junk. All in all, if you go through the podcast, what you’ll find is that Huberman basically gives the same advice Jake does, except Huberman shares concrete things for you to try, including eye exercises. As you may know, Jake tends to be against eye exercises, because he believes you need to do something that’s lifestyle sustainable because how are you going to add another chore to your already busy day in addition to all the other things we "should’ be doing like working out, home cooked meals, meditation, etc… As described by Huberman eye exercises seem to be more important for visual imbalances though, such as strabismus, amblyopia, or your nondominant eye slacking rather than for myopia. For myopia itself, the general take away is get away from screens, get distance vision, get dynamic visual activity, get sunlight, get outside. What Jake does advocate for that Huberman did not comment on, is the reduced lens method. But I’m sure Huberman would not disagree with the idea of it, since computer glasses (aka differentials) are well accepted in the optho community. Maybe normalizeds he would refrain to comment on.

5 Likes

This is just genius! Biohacking, no more afternoon slump. Tested and having fun with it. :sweat_smile:
He did warn it was too simple and laughable and silly.

3 Likes