Interesting Facebook Meme about Myopia

This is a Facebook meme that my sister (non endmyopian) tagged me in today and I thought that it is honestly pretty relevant. First of all, the eye doctor’s reply to the person in the meme that they don’t need glasses, they need breaks from screens honestly surprised me because I feel like most wouldn’t even bat an eye before selling them glasses. Honestly sounds like a friendly optometrist to me. Additionally, my sister commented “virtually impossible with almost everything being virtual” when she tagged me. Personally, it definitely has been a struggle to stay away from the screen this past year when everything was virtual. Just some food for thought.

4 Likes

Well, that kind of screen addiction and ignorance about lenses is unironically a big part of the myopia epidemic.

In this case the doctor actually did the right thing.

Can’t cure stupid!

2 Likes

I agree! The person has no idea what they are getting themselves into when they are shortsightedly (physically and mentally) just asking for the quick fix, glasses.

1 Like

It’s what most people want.

I don’t even mention endmyopia or any of it to friends at all anymore. Nobody in my real life circle knows anything about this whole thing. Most people are totally fine with artificial handicaps as long as it means no effort or personal responsibility. :wink:

10 Likes

As I heard from someone last week… “not everybody wants to be saved”…

2 Likes

On the contrary… they will think you spend a lot of time with screens doing whatever (EM) and even doing so your eyesight is sharp, you’re an anti-hero! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jokes aside, although most of my inner circle doesn’t know. I like to believe that I’m helping them because all my free time is now outdoors so if they want to be with me it has to be outside and that’s good for their vision even thou they are still wearing the same glasses.

4 Likes

Nice! I am known to insist (politely and subterfuge-ly) on no phones when we meet up to go eat or whatever. Removes a few of the hardcore addicts but otherwise way more pleasant. And I never bring up the why and how, since nobody wants to be preached to. :wink:

5 Likes

I recently heard a comment from a mother along the lines of: “I need to take M… to the optometrist. She has been wearing glasses for reading, but now I think she needs them for distance too”. :scream: :scream: :scream:
M… is around 9 years old, and currently wearing glasses for myopia for up close work only. The mom is fairly well educated and a smart woman… I wanted to cry. I will try to talk to her one of these days, if the right moment ever presents itself.

3 Likes

oh gosh, I’m not even sure how to react to that :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve run into a few people like that, some friends I play tennis with have a daughter in high-school who has started wearing glasses, and she’ll take them off for tennis but wears them all the time in front of the computer because “the doctor” says “she should wear them all the time or her eyes might get worse.”

I’ve suggested to them (and her) that if the glasses are for myopia they’re really only useful for times when she is having trouble seeing things at a distance, and that wearing them for reading or looking at screens could actually lead to eyestrain and be a bad idea. (They’ll ask the doctor the next time they take her in for a stronger prescription…)

“Doctor says it’s genetic, but it’s strange because neither one of us wear glasses…”

3 Likes

Actually this used to be the normal practice in my childhood. Parents didn’t want kids to break their glasses so they were always removed during sports activities or when hanging around with friends outdoors. The luckier kids then completely forgot about them and just AF’d themselves back to 20/20.
The others followed the route M… is stepping on now.
I bet the doctor will say it is best to wear the glasses all the time.

3 Likes

Just to debunk an unconsciously held conspiracy theory in many heads on the EM Forum:

As per EM, you need less or no corrections for close up and full corrections or a bit less for distance.
vs.
With the first pair of glasses, optos often recommend wearing them for school work including reading time both at school and at home but they sort of agree with the parents not to wear them for sports or for the playground, etc.

But there isn’t a worldwide conspiracy by optos to deliberately mislead you to ruin your eyesight to make you reliant on glasses forever. There isn’t a central evil instruction issued that got magically accepted and followed by every opto in every country.

We have to assume good intentions from the optos and if so, have you ever tried to figure out where it may have come from then?

In my experience, not wearing glasses for sports or outdoor activities come from two things

1. Glasses are expensive and it is easy to break them while playing sports or ball games
  2. At least in my days, my parents thought glasses made kids ugly and an outcast when playing with others so they always suggested removing glasses whenever outside school or home. Yes this is stupid, but you still get that panic reaction from parents even nowadays when their kids get glasses first. “Is there anything to avoid having to wear glasses?” They ask all the questions before giving in to the opto’s suggestion because those bad genes just can’t be helped…

So what about wearing glasses in school and for reading?
Well, back in the day, pre remote education via the screen, before screens functioned as babysitters, before they served as the main platform for leisure time entertainment…
Classrooms were badly lit. Most of the teaching was frontal. I don’t know how it was for you, but school for me was more looking at the teacher and looking at the blackboard rather than doing real close up work. Yes, there was some time taking notes but that was nothing compared to sitting 8+ hours in front of the laptop nowadays. And unless it was an exam day, actually the close up time was more like jotting down a few sentences and then looking up at the black board and then relaxing the eyes (=falling asleep with open eyes) while the teacher was delivering the lesson that was in the textbook anyway…
Back at home, some kids spent the least amount of time doing any homework and no reading. Other kids sat in the darkest corner of the room with poor lights straining their eyes.
So if 60 years ago an opto told the family to wear glasses in school and when studying at home, but remove them for the P.E. lessons or not to take them to the playground or to the summer camp, then actually they were almost suggesting to only wear the glasses when really necessary. When trying to figure out the face of the teacher delivering the lesson or when trying to copy the text from the board - both at a proper distance => actual distance vision time.

Wearing the glasses at home equaled to EM allowing bumping up corrections in low light conditions indoors in the evening when you are tired or stressed. Homes, studies, libraries, dormitories were all very badly lit. You could not stay up and read late into the night without straining your eyes. You did it with a torch under the duvet or with one single low light flickering desk lamp, or in a dim lit corner of the kitchen table.
And then recommending not wearing glasses for outdoor activities is the same as wearing lower corrections when it is not super important to see clearly. Plus practicing AF and changing focal planes and having good lights and a lot of peripheral vision practice.
In my view, it is not so different from EM’s recommendation.

So where did it go wrong?
Optos haven’t updated their view on this since screens appeared. Since school and work and academic activities (not to mention leisure time) have all changed to close-up. So the close up portion of school / study time is not the good old less than 25% anymore, but it is 75%++
What was a good instruction for wearing glasses 60 years ago is badly outdated by now causing more harm than good to the eyesight.

1 Like

I did not have that in mind at all :smiley:.
What I do cringe at is the lack of information, or rather the abundant misinformation on when to wear glasses and why. Knowing what I know now, it’s like knowing there is a canyon coming up at the next turn, and people are happily driving toward and in it because optos, many times with the best intentions, advised them to do so.

And this conversation has been carried many times on the forum. What can you do, as an individual, to help them see things in a more clear light (no pun intended), especially since you have no MD before your name and title.

Sigh… I was that little girl who went from -3D to -5D in less than 12 months, with -3D being the first pair of glasses). And no one was able to stop my “wonderful” progression in the abyss for 30 + years. I want to help others and every time I try, it feels like I am hitting my head against the rocks.

2 Likes

I hear you :hugs:

It’s just the current optos were taught by the previous generation who learnt it from their previous generation that it is a good idea to wear glasses for all study time including close up :frowning_face:
What was true and correct in my grandad’s time may need a revision by now… Simply because circumstances have changed, too…

1 Like

That’s pretty much the reaction I encounter all the time when I tell people about Endmyopia…

I am excited still about doing this kind of work, although it is difficult when you’re a knowledge serf/worker (those of us who stare at screens to make our livelihood). But I am no longer excited to tell people about it. I think most people just find that kind of self-care/work overwhelming especially the learning curve and since it goes against the tide of ‘common accepted knowledge’, they kind of treat it like heresy.

It takes a certain kind of person to find us, and that cuts across all education/class. It seems to me the kind of person who believes they can make a difference for themselves; because they have to want to do it, even if it may not work.

For years I kept thinking Bates must work for someone…? But hadn’t found the key yet. Then one day poking around on the internet, something not Bates, but yet…and now, here I am…SLOWLY reducing my prescription.

6 Likes

Do you know whether M’s prescription is + or - ? I don’t know what the statistics are now, but when I was 9 years in the 1970’s, for 7-9 year kids it was more common to be hyperopic than myopic. Myself being the only myopic in the class, and two or three of my classmates were hyperopic.

I have not had yet the opportunity to speak details with the mother.

Now a days, more children are myopic due to cell phone/tablet, screen of any type usage, at school or at home. I do not have stats, but on the population I am exposed to, I think myopia is more prevalent.

Maybe the general thought is glasses for reading and schoolwork,
no glasses for outdoor stuff
because the reading is usually detailed work, where you need to see fine detail.
Outside, running around, who cares it the giant objects around don’t have crisp edges.

So sad. My cousin’s daughter got glasses. I sent her a message with some info, and said “just info. Not trying to convert you to some cult, and I won’t mention it again unless you ask.”
She replied explaining why in her daughter’s case it was the right path, and how happy her daughter was to be able to see clearly.
That’s it for me. Okay, have fun.

3 Likes

That’s one of the harshest truths we have to face.

People want glasses. People want a quick fix. People would rather put some magical, curved pieces of plastic on their eyes to fix their toils and troubles than spend some time in distance vision.

It’s a win-win scenario. People get instant clear vision; and the optometry industry gets all the money. :slight_smile:

2 Likes