Interesting new progressive lens design for computers "360 ring focal lens"

These might be useful for people wearing contacts with plus glasses for differentials, or just as computer glasses. Instead of the traditional progressive design with added plus power on the bottom and lots of distortion on the sides, they’ve put the plus power in the center with no distortion throughout the lens (just reduced plus power) so that your peripheral vision still works or you could walk up and down stairs, see the ground, etc.

These might be useful as plus lenses for kids (since they tend to look through the center of the lenses which makes bi-focals not such a great idea for them.)

I’m not sure where to buy the uncut lenses, I see only the pre-made glasses for sale. Has anyone ever tried these? I’ve never seen them before (maybe they’ve been around forever and I just don’t know about it.) I’ve heard about this idea in contacts or intra-ocular lenses but with a different layout.

3 Likes

Yeah, mess with your focal plane and peripheral vision. Sounds like a good idea. Until we have exact knowledge about the mechanism of how under/overcorrection leads to vision changes I would absolutely not mess with anything which is not a uniform power change (well, as uniform as possible). Because we have absolutely no clue what the effect will be.

2 Likes

Lenses have been around for a while and so has vision therapy. If you want to read though the text books it’s not exactly true that we have “no clue what the effect will be.”

You can take them off if you don’t like the effect.

So not in our lifetimes…

Your natural vision looks like: sharp middle, then gets more blurry as you move toward the edge.
With regular glasses (which is not overcorrected): sharp middle, more blurry towards the edge, then a big blur increase (at the edge of the lens). Not natural because of the big jump, but otherwise it’s similar.

With these glasses: blurry in the middle, then gets sharper, then maybe a bit blurry again, then a big blur increase (at the edge of the lens). This is something totally different than the natural vision, so we have absolutely no clue how it will effect the eye or the visual cortex. Does that mean that it will cause problems? Of course not. Do I think it will cause more problem than good? Yes. Does that mean I’m right? No :slight_smile:

And as @jakey always says if someone does experiments with something they are just helping the community. Either by finding something new which works, or by verifying that it does not work.

So sure, try it if you find it interesting. But consider it as an experiment, not as a “this thing will definitely helps my vision”.

2 Likes

Every pair of glasses I have ever owned has noticeable astigmatism in the periphery area. Assuming these lens are shaped from regular glasses lenses (like bifocals are), that means when you look far, your view is always astigmatic, as the parts of the lens corrected for far vision is the astigmatic part.

One of my theories on why people get astigmatic is time spent looking through the astigmatic part of glasses, either looking off-center (such as down at a book), or because the optical center isn’t aligned with your normal distance looking direction. Then the eyes adjust their astigmatism to correct for the astigmatic view.

If my theory is correct, we can rename these glasses “astigmatism creator glasses” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The design goal (or marketing communication) was to eliminate the defocused side portions of the lens (typical multifocals have an hour-glass shape viewing area). I agree with you lenses in general have astigmatism. Supposedly with free-form technology they’re able to greatly reduce that. I’ll be curious to see what these do and if they’re any fun or not compared to standard reading glasses or progressives.