iOS Endmyopia App - Testing & UX Help

Sooooooo.

The eyeball measuring app is floating around in (very rough) testing stages. Good news is that you can 1) measure your diopters by just looking at your phone, and 2) record measurements, and 3) have a graph showing your results over time.

It all looks though like rodents strung together with duct tape, and plumes of smoke coming out of random cracks in the foundation.

Mostly needs a bit of intro screens of how it works and why it works. And a little better sorting of the user interface buttons. And the flow of measuring and results … and all the other whatnots.

It’s very possibly going to be a Jake (and hired minions) affair. But if you do interface design, or design in general, definitely could use a few extra pairs of eyes to make the whole thing not just function, but also appear less like alien (but Stone Age alien) technology.

Let me know if you want to share some requisite skills.

(Note this isn’t a call for general beta testing, just yet. Still very much alpha stages, making the things usable.)

9 Likes

I’m not a full time UX designer, but practically I was working for most of my life in programming teams where there was no dedicated UX designer :smiley: And many times it was me who dealt with the “how it should look like” problem. Though I mostly worked on corporate intranet apps, which does not need that delicate design… but they need good user friendliness and easy of use, because people already hate working there and we don’t want them to hate our apps too :smiley: But of course these are not mobile apps, but PC webapps, so… Well, I’m not sure, if you think I can be useful, let me know :slight_smile:

I have one tip for the graph, because I have the same problem with almost all application in this regard. Based on this screenshot I’m not sure how it works, but I think it’s really crucial, so:
Make the graph display so that the equal distances based on true date and not based on measurement frequency. What apps usually do is for example (numbers are just examples) each measurement point is 10 pixel from each other. If you measure once every month, they are 10 pixel. If you measure 10 times a day, they still 10 pixel. Which results that the less you measure the more fast your improvement seems to be, and the more you measure the more slow it seems to be. So the good setup would be if it would be (for example) 10 pixel for every day, regardless when you measure. So if you measure 10 times a day, they would be only 1 pixel far from each other, and if you measure once a week it would be 70 pixel. This way the frequency of the measurement would not distort the visualization.

Also please add the option to show cm, not just diopter. I think for higher than -2 - -2.5 diopter it’s much more useful.

3 Likes

How’s the app priced? Free? $4.99? Free but with a microtransaction currency called ‘eyeballs’, which you spend ten of every time you take a measurement?

1 Like

I think the only monetization plan currently is Jake pouring money into it :rofl:

2 Likes

Correct. Plan is for it to be free / costing me money. :joy:

4 Likes

‘Your results’ is cluttered.

x-axis: Date at top is undetermined, US/European. You can use left/right swipe and remove date from graph entirely, if you do use dates use simple format Jan 1, Dec 31 etc.

y-axis: Diopter scaling is excessive. Use whole increments only and only on left of graph.

Within graph area, only dots and lines, no numbers, allow user to select a dot for details that would be displayed in section below graph. Grid lines to be faint.

Example from Fitbit.

1 Like

I think the question what is the goal. If it’s just showing a visual estimation of the tendecies then the fitbit ones are great. But if you want to read detailed information from the chart, then they are not.
Otherwise I agree.

I’m aware. Probably half of my work / income is based on staring at graphs that actually confer information efficiently. :wink:

The point of the thread is finding some help with this since I won’t be able to either a) personally fix it or b) field piles of feedback and be the guy to do quasi UX work based on group consensus.

Got some bids out for UX designers since most likely this will be another paid requirement. Or how either you become an app developer or get ready to pay app developer salaries if you want tools out there.

Back to why we need courses and everything can’t be free (though of course, half of the FB post comments are “bro when you buying us an Android app, bro”). :laughing:

Least there’s some excitement for progress, anyway.

3 Likes

Hello, EM newbie graphic designer here (good old fashion books…). It’s an amazing job you’re doing for us, really appreciated. Just seen the screen shots on FB. They’re fine, but if I have to be professional picky: they come across quite ethereal (apart from the primary yellow :slight_smile:). Even the extra light/small size typeface and plenty of white space make it all very delicate with the risk of getting lost. A good starting (sorry!) point is to pick the (not too many…) priorities and them boldly - then say the rest with decreasing volume (format/size). It applies to typeface, colours (I would keep the primaries for chore infos: left, right eyes, diagram lines etc. Everything backgroundy can go quieter) and shapes. In this way the eye (not just the myopic one :wink:) gets to follow the page naturally. Thank you!

1 Like