Is clearing a little bit of blur useful?

I have my Snellen in a good spot so when I relax on the couch I can stare at it a bit and work on clearing the blur with my normalized. Good habit, check!

At times, I remove my glasses to see how much I can see in hopes that some day I can see the big E again without my glasses. I started this journey last year at -4.25 in both eyes and there was only gray blobs to see on the eye chart… and not even gray on the bottom line!

Now, I am wearing -2.75 normalized and decide to see if I can see the E without my glasses… and there is a glimmer of hope, something that almost has shape… as I active focus I can see the E, although really blurry but definitely the E!

My question is, is this kind of active focus useful? Like clearing some blur but not getting full clarity since it’s still far off for my current diopters? It sure is fun to see the change, but I don’t want to waste too much time in this activity if it’s not the best stimulus since it isn’t a clear E, thanks all!

1 Like

Yes, I think it’s useful.
I’ve been doing that since I started my journey.
For my personal experience any change in visual acuity is useful. Jake and many others advice this as well, any change is fine to improve.

2 Likes

I would be careful with this, it is easy to cause strain and be unaware how much strain you are causing. It is certainly encouraging to see your eyes respond at distances previously inconceivable however I am not sure that is actually helps anything. Most of us here in the forum have concluded that clearing the smallest amount or blur, to clear, is the most productive way forward. If you want the extra challenge you could try this activity with diffs a few times a week for short bursts. Ultimately though I also think it has been determined that staring at a chart for long periods of time (with any correction or lack thereof) is not advised, so just putting it out there to not hang too much of your hopes on this activity. Getting outside with switching focus between various distances in great light and peripheral awareness is a recipe for success :smiley: Best wishes

6 Likes

Thank you both for the feedback. It’s exciting to see progress, here’s hoping to more gains this summer!

I’m conflicted about this line. When using differentials I was never able to improve beyond ~65cm of non-AF clarity, although I still had some challenge up to 1m away. (Note: I’m a 99% computer use kind of guy).

Maybe it works better for normalized and outdoors? I don’t know if I still have such a problem, I felt daring and skipped the last two reductions so I could go without glasses, but the time required to improve was not sped up at all, so I’m still waiting to reach that same level of clarity and see what happens.

My experience, which I repeat is 99% about computer distance and differentials, was that once I could see about ~65cm sharp without AF, and up to 90-100cm with AF, then it was the best time to reduce.

Of course, everyone is different, so there’s that to keep in mind. In the end, everyone should pay attention how their eyes are responding and adjust accordingly.

Also, sometimes the right amount of edge of blur is tricky to find. I experienced many times myself thinking I was at the edge, only to end up a in destructive cycle of inching forward because things were getting blurrier. I turned it around when I started to rocking in various ditections, and trying often to AF from bigger distances. I think maybe these two things are a must for close-ups, moving to prevent sneaky tightness in your ciliary, and frequent AF at bigger distances to make sure you’re not locking up (if you rock back and forth it’s easy to do both).

I wonder how many have had to work this hard to make progress with differentials, I’m kinda envious of everyone who gets better with just a little strainless blur… If I don’t feel at least a little strain it’s a big alarm blaring off telling me I’m doing something wrong. (Still hope this is going to change when my naked eye vision improves enough, I’m also trying to get out more)

1 Like

I did say most… many maybe should have been the word of choice though in either case I still allowed for outliers. I started in the more blur camp myself (though I still never could get fully onboard with the 20/50 suggestion that people tend to keep bringing up), and used always seeking more challenge as an excuse to get caught up in an early reduction cycle. So much so that I haven’t enjoyed a proper level of full effortless clarity for the entire journey. As I put in my thread recently but have also indicated in threads like this one I have switched camps (probably inched toward it much of last year then crossed over in the fall). I am firmly in the a little blur goes a long way camp now.

100%
Bottom line I have found though:

suffering extra blur has no pay off that I have seen, either personally or through engagement with the community, so might as well rock it with just the minimum reduction and not put yourself through the added blur, and all that comes with.

The pay off was watching the screen without the ever greasing glasses.
I just had to spend some time at barely comfortable distances, headaches, and extra DV… until I could push the screen far enough and vision stabilized.

Yes it wasn’t the optimal move, but it was satisfying.
Also I learned valuable experience if I ever need to help someone through the wonders of EM.

This teminds me I should send the order for the skipped pairs, so I can deal with the bad days. I’ll need them later as normalized anyway.