Is not wearing your glasses harmful?

So I know Jake advocates reduction over removing the glasses entirely. But it’s just easier for me not to wear glasses
I’m around -5 diopters in both eyes.

Does it harm your vision? As long as you’re not straining?

Also, do y’all get headaches after not wearing glasses all day?

1 Like

I mean at -5 you can’t see anything, I’ve been at -5 before. I really struggle to see how it’s easier.

It’s not harmful in the sense your eyes will be damaged, that’s some optometrist-grade :fakenews:. But it’s mega harmful in the sense you’re completely disabled from living your normal life.

If you’re looking to actually improve your eyesight as well, not wearing glasses will probably ensure you don’t make any improvements either. Reducing too much can easily shut off improvements.

7 Likes

Not wearing glasses and just relaxing your eyes without actually looking at anything may be a nice experience. But as @NottNott says it will not improve your eyesight really and if you are trying to look at things you may cause strain. If you reduce more than 2 diopters I think you will just learn to ignore the blur, learn to function even with no clear vision. That’s a skill but not a vision one.

3 Likes

So I wear -2.5/-3 at the computer. This is just enough for me to read letters & do my work. If I’m tired I bump it up to -3/-3.5

But I often take walks in the park during the day. Like 4 times a day for 20-30 minutes. Since my glasses prevent peripheral field of view.

Gotcha gotcha,

Okay I’ll try walking around with -3/-3.5 on then

Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

It’s a start, but assuming you wear say -5 in both eyes, you should really be wearing -4.75/-4.75. Wearing less than that isn’t really doing EM/isn’t understanding why the method is the way it is, if that makes sense. It cuts off your peripheral vision, yes, but to improve your vision you should be looking into making some eye gains and coming down slowly to fix that.

Just saying because what you’re suggesting sounds like a really good way to not make any improvements at all. Do whatever, just don’t be surprised if your plan doesn’t work :smiley:

5 Likes

@NottNott has an important point there. Without having reminders of full clarity, the eyes stop aiming for what used to be clarity with full correction. But you’d like to see clear wouldn’t you?
Wearing stronger corrections when walking or driving will not ruin your eyesight, just gives you better clarity. Wear your lower prescription at the monitor and maybe around the house (which is typically a distance within 6m for looking for things sharp)

3 Likes

So I’m not exactly sure what my prescription is. I wore -4/-4.5 contacts with regular vision. I measure my own eyes & get ranges from 18cm to 26cm. Especially after I relax my eyes I can see really well.

My eye doctor in the US has told me I’m -5/-5.5 whereas my eye doctors in Japan have told me I’m -6.5/-7 & -6.25/-8 one month apart O_o. I think these aren’t right though.

2 Likes

Okay, yeah this is a good point. I’ll try doing this.

If you’re not seeing improvements with your plan, just remember it could very easily be that you’ve reduced too quickly. Doing that can literally just flick the switch for improvements to the off position. In that case, increase your correction.

2 Likes

@NottNott and @BiancaK have pretty well covered the futility of your approach so I will only add that you will regret time wasted if you insist on trying it your way…

Try measuring with diffs it can be much more accurate at your level of myopia:Guide:Measuring with differentials - EndMyopia Wiki.
Also many tips for measuring:More on measuring - YouTube, Measuring your eyesight - YouTube
Some notes on Normz: Normalized - YouTube
Best wishes

1 Like

I guess before EM, you didn’t care too much about diopters but you cared a lot about getting clarity with new glasses. When somebody has different measurements by optos plus a different own measurement I usually advise them to check vision in real life scenarios.

I copied this over from other posts talking about how to determine if your distance glasses (normalised or full prescription) are enough / not enough:
Check your vision on real life texts not just Snellen. If you use public transport check if you can read the buses’ destination from a satisfying distance, check if you can read the signs at bus stops / stations, train stations, airports on the main displays. If you are in the supermarket, can you see the signs or only if you walk closer than others would. If you were sitting in a meeting room with a projector or in a classroom in the last row of desks - would you be able to see the board / the presentation? Do you recognize people in the streets or do you miss to greet some of the familiar faces? When you walk into a take away or café can you read the menu behind the counter? How sharp are the traffic lights?
Menus over the counter are designed to be readable by 1 to 5 people in the queue. Ads on the opposite side of the platforms are designed to be readable while you are waiting for your train, etc

It’s easy to get false self confidence on clarity by only using a well-lit Snellen at 3 meters (or maybe at 6 meters)… And that can easily lead to dropping too early and then compensating AF from muscles…

3 Likes

With my -4/-4.5 contacts everything is relatively normal. I can read signs, see faces from afar, all that good stuff.

But it is with acuvue 2. I recently tried oasys & noticed I couldn’t see as well. So yeah maybe the brands have different powers. When I changed to -4.5/-4.75 glasses I couldn’t see very well. However now when I put those same glasses on I feel they’re too sharp & give me a headache.

But so it’s also weird. When I walk on a sunny day without glasses/contacts I can occasionally see super clear just with 4 ghosted images.

Okay I’ll measure tomorrow with differentials on

Different brands have different power under the same number. I know, I did my journey with contacts, too. Your experience is real. Some brands add another -0.25D so the vision with their contacts is ‘sharper’.
So if possible stick to one brand. If not possible to buy acuvue2, find out what gives the same clarity with what’s available to you now. Don’t worry if that is a higher number. Instead, just aim for the same clarity with the now available brand of contacts and with glasses.

Also, your diopters are already in the range where the contacts and glasses are different if prescribed by optos. This is from the official opto materials
-4.75 with contacts = -5.00 with glasses
-6.50 with contacts = -7.00 with glasses
-7.25 with contacts = -8.00 with glasses
It is because the contacts sit on your eyes directly while the glasses are further away from your eye. (Official name: vertex distance. )
So it is normal to have different correction with glasses and with contacts for you.

Let me repeat: aim for a very good standard of clarity with your distance correction and start from there. (I’m afraid, 4 ghosts are just too many to call it clear vision, these may be only clear-ish flashes, sorry. Good news though: you have a wide range of accommodation. But hopefully you are not straining your eyes.)

4 Likes

CooperVision has stopped doing this with their Biofinity lenses, the ones having new seals named just “comfilcon A”. Alcon lenses have exactly the needed power (even less) and Acuvue adds a lot to their Oasys series.

Although with Alcon lenses there’s “less” astigmatism, usually by 0.25D.

1 Like

Oh good! you did yours with contacts too.

I’m currently using glasses for computer work but when I go outside I switch to contacts. I used contacts for 12 years but now when I use them. my eyes get very dry and irritated quickly. I feel like the amount of oxygen has spoiled them. Did you wear your contacts the whole day or like a half day?

Oh wow, this is interesting. I recently tried Oasys over acuvue 2 but felt they were underpowered. This must mean that acuvue 2 is extremely overpowered.

Old contacts brands usually have the exact power correspondence as I guess. I tried PureVision 2 and it feels like these are underpowered.

I wore contacts and contacts only for 20 years incl. the EM journey back to 20/20.
I always chose from the mid-high price range and kept testing them until I found the really comfortable ones for my eyes. Monthly lenses but I typically changed them after 3 weeks - that’s when I felt that they started drying out and letting less oxygen to my eyes.
In return, I had zero issues with wearing contacts 16 hours a day for 20 years sitting 8 to 10 hours in front of the monitor at work.

A lot of my friends tried to minimise the cost by chosing the cheapest brands (accepting the wrong curve if that was cheaper) and by wearing them well over 1 month. They could do it for 4 or 5 years and then they couldn’t tolerate the contacts on their eyes anymore at all.

2 Likes