Is this how my astigmatism got worse?

Hey everyone, so my astigmatism got a bit worse a couple months back. Back before I started vision improvement, or endmyopia, or anything of this sort. This is part of the reason I started looking for some kind of natural vision improvement in the first place. I have low myopia and low astigmatism. I’ve thought about potential reasons why my astigmatism got slightly worse and I wanted to get the forum’s take on it. What I’m about to describe is stuff I did before all the vision improvement knowledge, before I knew about endmyopia, etc. Just stuff I did in my day to day life generally, before I knew that much about my eyes.

First off, since my myopia has always been pretty low, I didn’t wear my prescription glasses often, aside from driving and ocassionally when I do certain things where I feel like I need them such as going to concerts and parks just to name a couple (which are things I don’t go do super often). Generally, I would rarely wear my full prescription glasses aside from driving.

However, I would on and off wear these non-prescription amber lense glasses I have that help block blue-light out that are meant for gamers and people who work on the computer. Even though these are not prescription glasses, I wore them because they help against blue light from the screen and I work on the computer for many hours very often. With all that said, I always noticed that these glasses had an extremely slight kind of zoom while wearing them. I figured something out when I went on their website recently. On their website where they sell these, they describe how with non-Rx frames, they add a +0.2 diopter. This is why my amber lense glasses have the extremely slight zoom to them. They say they do this because it reduces strain for your eyes. That’s what they say at least I don’t know how true or not it is. (Maybe I should know)

I bring this up because Jake has talked about how some low myopic people have tried to use plus lenses when doing close up work. He talks about how he does not advise it as a first step or anywhere even close to a first step when working up close at the computer. This is due to the fact that if used incorrectly, you could potentially get some bad side effects like more double vision, ghosting images, astigmatism sort of symptoms it seems. He also said even if you do decide to use plus lenses for up close, you should never use it for more than part of the time your doing up close work. Whenever I used these +0.2 glasses, I would wear them pretty much all day for a week, Then not wear it for a week, pretty much switching it up all the time. I just know when I would wear them consistently it would generally be for many hours to reduce eye strain from the screen. I did this on and off for years. (Also, did not even know the concept of blur horizon plus my myopia has been pretty low for many years now so I never even got a blur horizon from up close work.)

My question with this is, do you think this somewhat frequent wear of the +0.2 glasses likely made my astigmatism worse? Or do you think maybe glasses with diopters as small as +0.2 is negligible? I thought it was interesting as this seems like a niche case but maybe my most likely reason for developing a bit worse astigmatism. (Overall, my astigmatism is still pretty low, but it’s more noticeable now for sure. R: 0.75 Cyl/175 axis. L: 0.75 Cyl/170 axis.)

Lens distortion is real. I tried some poorly made Plano lenses, and the lenses had a bit of distortion. It was enough that it threw off the vision and caused strain. I think the lower the power, the tougher it might be to avoid these issues in lenses. I suppose if you wore them a lot and strained your eyes, it could make astigmatism occur. Just a guess.

I’d inspect them for distortion. Hold them away from your eye and look at objects through each lens by itself. Rotate the lenses, then move them Side to side and then up and down and see if the image changes at all. If you see the image warping, that could be the cause.

A well made low plus should not cause astigmatism or any real vision problems. 0.2D is so low that it should be “safe” if it was made right. But then again, lens tolerances are usually 0.12D.

I’m having a hard time telling if it’s distorted or anything. It just seems like there is the very very slight zoom. I was thinking, if I want to continue using these amber lense glasses should I just try to get a pair with no + at all? Should I try to get a 0.0 to be safe?

These glasses aren’t super cheap, usually around $60-$100 USD (non-rx like mine) because of the amber lenses, so I would hope their made right. Also, what is a lens tolerance of 0.12D?

I’d also suspect lens quality.

0.12D is the smallest change in prescription you can get, and generally only in glasses with a very small sphere to begin with.

Or FMR may have meant manufacturing tolerance, in that they could be +/-0.12 different from the named strength.

1 Like

And it can even be weird, wavy distortion.

Inspect the lenses…only way to tell.

Whether this was a bad idea or not, I emailed them and they said their is no distortion and they said the lens quality is good and polycarbonate. I checked the lenses and don’t seem to see any distortion but I’m not an expert at judging but as far as I can tell, doesn’t seem to be there at least I don’t notice any. Maybe +0.2 can make a small impact over years of wear is my guess.

Even if the lens itself is good, if the PD is wrong for your face, then you could be looking through in a distorted fashion. If these were not advertised as spherical lenses, I doubt they asked you what your PD was when you ordered them.

3 Likes

PD is definitely a possibility.

But +0.2 D spherical shouldn’t probably hurt vision. Just might make someone a bit more farsighted over time. But everyone is different.

1 Like