Is this what AF is supposed to be like?

Well this is embarrassing. I’m a little confused about AF. I thought it had happened a few times, still couldn’t really control it and it was definitely never a really “wow” experience, just focus shifting a little back and forth and never to all the way clear. But I was like whatever. Then the other day, I had a very different kind of “wow” moment and thought, could this be the real AF?! So here’s how it went down: I was walking around in the woods with a friend and telling her all about EM (my 3rd convert so far hihi). Anyway, we tried on each other’s glasses just for the sake of good old curiosity (my norms being -1.00 and her glasses around -3.00 and -3.50 or so) and that’s when it happened. Everything was super blurry but everywhere I looked my eyes would automatically focus instantly! To crystal clear but only for a brief moment. I realize that’s not a very healthy thing to do for my eyeballs and I obviously only wore them for a few seconds but in those seconds my eyes were just clearing everything up effortlessly. Is that what I’m supposed to be experiencing when I practice AF? The big difference of course being that that was minus stimulus, AF is supposed to happen with plus. But if my eyes focus so easily and automatically with such strong minus lenses, why does it not happen the other way around?

3 Likes

nothing to be embarrassed here :wink:

I think it’s normal for your eyes to be able to adjust to higher minus lenses, so I honestly don’t think that’s really what Active Focus in the EM-sense is about.

When you say it is not all the way clear with your active focus attempts, is that with your normalized or without glasses? Because it doesn’t work wonders and 1 diopter probably is too much to clear with active focus, for me it’s around 0.5 undercorrection which I can clear. The way I always tell myself that it’s Active Focus is when I am able to consciously defocus and focus again, switchin between blurry and clear.

1 Like

Without. I don’t have enough blur challenge with my -1.00s to even attempt AF and yet Jake usually doesn’t recommend going lower than a diopter with norms. :woman_shrugging:t3: I mean, he says it’s a matter of personal preference and it’s totally fine to graduate to -0.75, -0.5 etc. but that in general in low myopia you can just switch between -1.00 and no correction and eventually will still get to 20/20 with all the right habits, without reducing norms past that last diopter.

Wouldn’t that depend on the distance I’m looking from? Maybe I can’t clear road signs from my car, but surely I should be able to clear text in “close-up” so like 1,5m or so?

Man that’s so cool. I’m definitely not there yet. Although I’ve heard from a few others on here they weren’t sure if they had AF or if they’re “doing it right”, so I guess I’m not the only one… :roll_eyes:

AF is one of those things where for some people like me it’s so obvious that I know when I’m experiencing it. But for some others it’s subtle and they actually already got it but keep seeking for something dramatic. I’m lucky enough to have experienced drastic temporary focus improvement up close but often all AF is is you looking at some slightly, or for some people quite blurry text (some people need more stimulus) and for me the trick is not to blink for a while, and you will notice it clears up and you can see edges sharp that you couldn’t before. Try not to blink too soon else you might reset the eye that is just about to clear up that blur. As soon as you notice any small clarity improvement by staring then blinking you have found AF. Doesn’t need to be dramatic

4 Likes

I was out in the perfect light at the end of the day today, with my recently reduced norms in the town center /park.

What I noticed was the ability to “sharpen” the things I looked at over various distances. This is easier to do when casually walking (or sitting). I do a lot of active focus while driving but this slower, more varied distance and time consuming certifying I’ve got the sharpest possible view seems the most likely efficacious way to do active focus.

I’m going to try to build in at least an hour of this as a daily practice to see if I improve my rate of improvement over time.

Will post.

1 Like

It has to be sitting or standing still for me. The head movements caused by walking and running engage the vestibular ocular reflex and that seems to inhibit AF for me. During my walks I do have to stop to check on my usual distant AF targets.

Here is a link for nerds:

1 Like

Guys, I DID IT. I was outside for a good few hours towards the end of the day, lens free. When I got home I CLEARED THE ENTIRE 20/20 LINE on my 6m Snellen with AF. Indoors. In low light. NO GLASSES! Sorry, I’ll stop yelling now. But !!! :smiley:

It turns out I could AF all along, it was just too subtle before so I wasn’t sure. This today was just so much more clear (pun intended) and now I’m sure. :slight_smile:

This seems to also be an issue for me. The few times I had found AF but wasn’t sure was when I was standing still looking at text. But the majority of the time I just try to AF as I go about my day (aka moving), which doesn’t seem to work for me yet. Which brings me to another question: How to implement AF in all day activities vs. taking time out of ones day to deliberately practice AF?

9 Likes

Told ya :slightly_smiling_face::+1:t2:

3 Likes

Well done! I don’t bother much with AF while doing my indoor day to day activities. When I am working in the garden I do try to incorporate some AF on distant objects in my view from time to time and that has now become an easy habit. I don’t feel it necessary to be doing it consciously for large parts of the day.
I think you will now find AF switching on at unexpected moments. Having seen undeniable improvements, I am now totally relaxed about how I am doing EM and when I get a ‘bad’ measurement I shrug it off, knowing there will be a better one soon.

3 Likes

Congratulations! Great job!

1 Like