I've Reduced 2 Diopters in 10 Months! But Now I'm Having A Vision Scare

I haven’t been very active on here, but I’ve been on the verge of obsessed for 10 months and everything has gone pretty smoothly until the past couple weeks. My right eye has been very nice and clear for months before this.

I started July 16th 2019 at L: -2.50 0.50, R -1.75 0.50. That was my correction for 3 years. I’m now wearing -0.50 in both eyes with 20/25 vision. Just some double vision in mostly my left eye.

Now in my right eye it’s like a white haze both near and far. This is all day, everyday. I can still see decent at a distance with some haze, but close up is very white and it’s becoming unnerving. It’s like if you wake up with a film on your eye or after looking into a bright light. Wearing +1.00 for close up seems to temporarily help some.

I have had severe dry eye before starting EM, but everything has been great for months.

Anyone experienced this? Any advice?

3 Likes

See an opthalmologist asap. This is not something you hope will go away. It could be one of many things.

4 Likes

Any new sudden change in your vision should be looked at by a doctor.

2 Likes

I just made an appointment with an opthamologist for Monday morning. They said Thursday, but then I described the issue and they fit me in Monday. I had to call around because of the virus some didn’t have appointments available until June. I was hoping for a different answer, but thank you for pushing me into making the appointment.

4 Likes

Hope all goes with at the appointment. I did want to add that at times I get a cloudy blur, it is like having a film over my eyes. It can come and go sometimes. Not sure if this is similar.

1 Like

Yes, this is exactly what it’s like! Colors are muted a bit and things have less contrast (I think is the correct term). I’ve noticed it before but it would go away. This time it’s been several days.

Also, I can feel some “vibration” around my eye at times like when I was first releasing my ciliary muscle. Could that cause this you think? Let’s hope that’s all it is.

Not sure about the tingling. I have tried the swaying motion when this happens and it seems to help.

Hi Jeremy,
Few years ago I felt something like your description. It last 2 days, but I act quickly and it helped me so I share my advice now:

• I have used eye drops, especially at evening
  • I add few more hours of sleep (instead 6 aim for 9, even just for weekend)
  • I eat better, more vegetables, less fat and I avoid much alcohol (hangover usually is related with insufficient amount of water and I felt it is really bad for eyes and all body)

Wish you luck. World got crazy of that virus…
Matt

1 Like

Try this stuff at night until your appointment:

Just squeeze a drop on the lower lid of each eye and go to bed early. It’s basically mineral oil and petroleum jelly.

You might need eye drops to wash it out completely in the morning. Thera tears Extra is good.

Good luck!

Kent

2 Likes

I recently heard someone say vaseline in the eyes at night can improve eyesight. Is that your secret Kent???

1 Like

I have been eating more carbs the past few weeks. I stopped that a couple days ago when this really started to bother me. I hope it will help to get back into ketosis where I’ve mostly been for the past couple years.

1 Like

I actually have these but haven’t had to use them since I started EM. Just found them buried away. I will try them tonight!

1 Like

Drop the carbs and increase more meat and fat.
Happened to me. I went from -2.50®, -2.25(l) to -1.75®, -1.50(l) by just doing that, plus the push methods described here. Stay in ketosis. That’s the key to further vision improvement.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. The keto fans on the forum also welcome an addition to their numbers. The rarer carnivores - myself included - would be delighted to hear that you are on that bandwagon as well. :smiley:

Seriously, I have nothing against vegetarians or vegans. Do what works for you, whether it is to reduce myopia or to improve overall health.

2 Likes

That’s funny, because I’m on a whole food plant based diet, and I’ve had private conversations with others who are also on the same that remark we’re on the short side of the 6-12 week reduction cycle.

In fact, the reduction I’m on (at six weeks) is the longest I’ve been in a set of norms.

So you never know.

Not to argue, just to put out another viewpoint.

Kent

1 Like

Anyone with a high level of blood insulin (because of high blood sugar) is on route to health disaster.
All carbs (plant foods) raise blood sugar. High blood or sustained blood sugar for long periods of time is exactly why diabetics or even non diabetics have poor eyesight and eventually worse health conditions.
That’s not an opinion. It’s proven science, its not funny and time takes a toll :wink:

1 Like

No time to research now, but there are numerous studies that show meat intake is associated with insulin resistance, which is the real issue. It also raises the levels of IGF-1, in which cancer cells love to grow. Meat also contains heme iron, which has carcinogenic associations as well. It’s also associated with higher risk levels of many types of cancer, including liver, pancreatic, colon, and prostate. It’s definitely associated with higher risk levels for heart disease, atherosclerosis, and stroke.

Meanwhile, my A1C levels are perfectly normal, I have a normal BMI, and no problems with weight control, or other health issues, and I basically live on carbs…so I guess I’m just a neat trick.

Again, adults should be able to make choices for themselves, but based on the best studies available (which admittedly could be better–but that’s a tough sell in the “real world”, as people involved in studies tend to misreport), as well as my ethical and environmental concerns, I’ll stick with the plan I’ve got. Given my family history and risk factors, it works best for me–when I was on the “Standard American Diet,” I was in much higher risk categories vis-a-vis weight, A1C levels, BMi, blood pressure, etc.

So I have to take exception with this blanket statement:

It’s just not true.

3 Likes

Typical vegan reply! :joy:
Here are the real FACTS scientific facts about meat and health.
Have a nice day!
https://www.paleomedicina.com/en/?page=tartalom&tipus=cikk

2 Likes

Hi, yeah I know what you mean with the white film, sometimes I have it when waking up before my eyes are fully open and awake.

I do not know if this is the same thing as I had/have but it could be:

so when I first learned about AF on here I overdid it and strained my eye trying to get it and ended up creating new floaters. At the same time I got such a haze but ONLY when moving my eye quickly from side-to-side. I also went to get it checked and they said they see nothing wrong with the retina… in the end they had no diagnosis but by process of elimination, the only explanation is the material in the eye being released and the vitreous gel in the eye becoming cloudy can explain this (sometimes it moves around). If this is the case, no need to worry. I guess this is the least worrying explanation.

The medium one: I’ve read on here that some people have such a haze when posterior vitreous detachment starts - which most people get in their 60s but can happen much earlier. This is also nothing to worry about in most cases.

The worst possible explanation: the above combined with retina problems

in order to rule out the last one you should get it checked, as you are doing. But probably it is one of the first 2 so try not to worry too much

hope this helps

1 Like