🎙 Julia: 80% Better Eyesight | Shortsighted Podcast

Finally made it to editing another one of our darling podcast episodes.

Lest us all be forewarned though, today is definitely not the day to get on ole Jakey’s case with passive aggressive commentary or otherwise finding some ways to critique, in this particular announcement.

This post, after a long night of partying, of no coffee, and certainly of not patience. And editing stuff and uploading everything, anyway.

Today is a day of being chill and not pushing one’s luck.

You know who you all are.

Hope this is enjoyable, because I certainly quite liked having this chat with Julia. Also, no presbyopia!

16 Likes

A nice chat, with a delightful lady.

1 Like

Enjoyed the conversation and had good tips about dealing with low myopia.

1 Like

If you’re willing to take a nab at an ayurvedic perspective on hyperthyroidism (which, yeah, i know, is on the unicorn farming spectrum.), they’d tell you to include more warm and moist foods (as opposed to cold and dry foods, and implies that Warm + dry > cold + dry. Cold + moist > cold + dry.). So think like brothy soups, and melted butter, and avocados. Which are all nourishing/replenishing type foods. And, Avoid ice cold drinks, and avoid things like dried fruit/toasted bread. Cooked vegetables>salad.

1 Like

Enjoyed it!

I’ve had some experiences over the last few months that have led me to be more open to the idea that eyesight can be connected to emotional issues. Too long to post here and real life limits my time on the forum, but maybe I’ll get to it some day.

4 Likes

Always glad to check out ideas. Hypo though, not hyper. :confused:

1 Like

Excellent. She stole the show from you Jake.

As everyone should! :wink:

2 Likes

I hope you will share your thoughts, these are things I’d like to hear from other people’s experiences. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I had a hyper thyroid but didn’t want to be on meds my whole life. I did an herbal detox and gained weight. Not saying that was a bad thing but for sure it was a major change in my normal life. Plus this also introduced me to endmyopia. Exploring different topics and ways to change what we do. Most breads appear to be modified and staying away from them may be a good idea.

2 Likes

Ah, I see. I heard high and just assumed it was hyper. But high TSH is hypo eh.

For hypothyroidism the ayurveda either blame it on low iodine intake or water retention/bloatedness. To combat water retention/bloatedness they would recommend to include more light, warm and dry foods, all while making sure to not dehydrate yourself. So,1) adding more astringent(=pucker/numbing)/pungent/spicy spices. Mustard, chillis, garlic, allspice, or any other spice. 2) dry cooking methods over moist cooking methods. I.E., more Grilling, sauteing, baking, broiling, toasting, roasting. Less steaming, boiling. Braising is okay. 3) Tannin foods. Tea/berries/dried fruits. 4) Avoid deep-fried foods, as they tend to make you retain water.

Probably just skipping gluten will do. But it’s somethings to try if you find yourself ever having eaten gluten and are waiting to recover from the resulting hypothyroidism

Loved the podcast. Loved the lady - so bubbly and easy going - put a smile on my face, and relaxed me in the middle of the work day. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Loved the presenter too, as usual. Julia managed to get even Jake to look very relaxed. :grin:
In all seriousness, it felt like a conversation between two friends in the same room, not a podcast across the continents. Adding that to the content of the conversation, this is what EM pots of gold are made of.
Thank you!! :clap:t2:

2 Likes

Quick version:

Back in June, I tried to quit drinking coffee cold turkey (down from 4 -5 cups per day). This was a disaster. In addition to the expected headaches from withdrawal, my mood became depressed and severe back pain developed. I gave up after 10 days and started on coffee again. Headaches went away and mood improved, but the joint pain didn’t.

Did some homework, went to see the chiropractor and some others, a month later the back pain was still there. Came across the work of Dr. John Sarno (“Healing Back Pain” is his book) and the work he did with something called tension myoneural syndrome. 6 weeks after reading his book, I"m out of pain and gradually starting to strength train again. His basic premise is the unresolved emotions can turn into pain in the body.

When I first heard that comment about vision - that the mind gives people blur due to emotional difficulties, I rejected it outright. Julia made a comment, that she moved right before she first needed glasses, and that she thought there was a connection. Based on my experience with back pain, which moved into shoulder pain, elbow pain, and wrist pain, when there was nothing structurally wrong with my body, I"m more open to the idea the initial blurry vision and stress, trauma, or other difficult emotions might be connected. This isn’t easy to prove, though, so I’m not really even sure how to talk about it.

That’s the short version anyway…

6 Likes

Also on liver issues I think, like it’s a problem with the conversion to the active form.
Iodine is neat because it’s also helpful in cleaning a lot of the bad estrogens, which can also cause a thyroid issue.

1 Like

Finally gotten around to listening to the whole thing, and wow. She’s gorgeous! So articulate and open-minded and she clearly knows a lot of stuff, it must be so motivating to have her as a friend.
I really want to get my mom to listen to this one, as her story matches Julia’s so much. But then I already come off as pushy to my family members with everything health-related, and it’s hard to get someone interested in something even if you’re obsessed with it (especially then, actually).

4 Likes

I am fortunate to be able to share most things health-related with my daughter, but not myopia. She has always had 20/10 vision, so this REALLY does not interest her.

1 Like

Man. I’m way past all that though. Years of blood tests, many endocrinologists, diet experiments, supplement experiments, thyroid supplements, etc etc.

Just general food stuff and whatnot, definitely nowhere near enough to do the trick. :wink:

2 Likes

I would say that species appropriate diet is enough to do the trick (instead of trying to add supplements and weird non-local foods), but most would argue with that. And even those who would agree with that would argue with what is exactly the species appropriate diet for homo sapiens. So it would not really add to this topic :smiley:

5 Likes

For once you do not step in where angels fear to tread. Too much of a minefield, and I need to learn to shut up about it as well.

2 Likes

What is missing for me in the podcast is a talk about what were the reductions and the important points in the journey. For example I was eager to know what ware Julia reductions in the road, especially because of the big gap between the eyes. Did she do only one spherical reductions between the equalising reductions or more or less. It could be more informative if we learn through the podcast what worked and what not so much

3 Likes