Kam's Journey to Ending Myopia

Hello,

I joined the forum recently after lurking for a short while reading and learning, I found Endmyopia in early 2018 but lacked the determination to actually do it, needless to say I regret not going through with it back then because it could’ve been possible that I would’ve been 20/20 or at least close by now.

The Backstory:

Anyway my story starts similar to a lot of people but even though I noticed a bit of blurriness in the distance in about third grade I decided to ignore it, I saw it in my friends, whenever they got glasses they got stronger glasses every year, I feared having to become dependent on them and in all honestly I could see fine, I sat at the back of the class throughout most of the school years, it only became a problem with whiteboards in late high school and over time at that point my myopia slowly got worse because I was doing close up most of the time, in any case I still resisted them and have all the way till now which I’m 24 (25 in a month or so), over the years I’ve looked up natural eye improvement methods and I came across the usual stuff that aren’t worth mentioning until Endmyopia, the main thing that made me believe it aside from the scientific studies and testimonials of members that are actually active and aren’t for all I know a completely made up Photoshop story is that I found active focus prior to finding Endmyopia, I recall instances where I realized that if I stare at something for a while it can clear up, a license plate that was too blurry to read suddenly became almost perfectly sharp and I could confidently read it, so I didn’t go through having to find it, I just had to realize that it’s not a bad thing, I figured that due to the stinging and tearing it’s a harmful act.

Around 5 years ago I got my eyes checked as I feared my eyesight is too bad for driving and I got a prescription of OS: -1.00 Sph -0.75 Cyl 80° and OD: -1.25 Sph -0.25 Cyl 80°, the ophthalmologist told me that I basically have to wear them all the time and it’s genetic and it is what it is, I’m too hardheaded to just accept what’s told to me as a fact even by someone who’s a professional so I didn’t even bother getting them (not necessarily the best idea maybe), I did eventually get my drivers license but I’m not irresponsible so I don’t drive, at least for now. I suppose I’m the odd case of having none lens induced astigmatism, I’m not just going off of that old prescription as I noticed it myself and measured it, albeit with questionable accuracy.

I’m one to have developed bad habits over time, I developed spine issues over time because of poor posture while sitting and lying down which led to scoliosis, I got therapy for that two years ago luckily and it’s all gone, funny that it’s also a condition that many doctors would simply tell you that it can’t be reversed and you can only get surgery for it or get bracing, I did neither, I was lucky to find a chiropractor who knew what she was doing, so that’s another experience that led me to believe in being able to reverse myopia and that the solution isn’t just what medical science approves.

I believe there’s correlation between the scoliosis I had and my astigmatism based on Elliot B. Forrest’s theory, I used to lay down on my right side, have my head tilted resting on my right hand’s palm while supporting my upper body with my elbow, definitely not comfortable anymore as my spine isn’t in favor of that position now, I read a lot this way, browsed the internet or played videogames, it seems to match up with the axis of the astigmatism as well and also the strength being stronger in my left eye that has to turn over more to look at the screen or book.

The Actual Start from December 2020:

After being fed up with this and months of contemplation I decided that it’s not worth it to let this endure, I should either seriously try to correct it or just accept glasses or contacts as part of my life from now on, I still can’t stomach it so I finally started, a few weeks prior I tried to hold smaller screens further away, limited social media usage and with those out of the way I started implementing breaks in December and a few days in started measuring and keeping a log, a few days of measuring in I noticed that my measurements at night aren’t significantly lower like the first days, for example my first day’s measurement is: LE: 55 - 37 and RE: 62 - 55 while on day 7 it’s LE: 59 - 57 and RE:69 - 64, the first number being measured early when I wake up and second before sleep, I don’t trust my early numbers a lot as I did it with my phone and it was awkward to hold the measuring tape in place properly, but the measurement aside I did feel and see it too, something that looked pretty blurry at night compared to day looked more or less the same, a bit worse but that can simply be poorer lighting and tired eyes (not a lot of ciliary spasm like before), a short while later and thanks to Varakari’s vision log tool I realized the distance I’m measuring is to when the astigmatic blur starts, the actual myopia blur is further around 1 meter, I haven’t gotten my eyes checked recently but chances are my myopia hasn’t progressed much or at all since the last one, I’m not overly surprised as I never wore lenses so I don’t have a case of lens induced myopia but what worries me is the astigmatism, I measured it myself to roughly OD: -0.33 Cyl and OS: -0.67 Cyl a few days ago, the axis of my left eye is 80 degrees but my right eye isn’t 80, it’s almost mirrored, I’ll explain more on why I think that’s the case later in a separate post.

I’ve measured progress since I started, a few centimeters go up each week (2-3 seems about normal and I’m okay with it), my latest measurements with the endmyopia calculator put me at LE: 69 and RE: 81, around two weeks ago I was measuring around LE: 63 and RE: 74, I do feel like I see more stuff but I doubt myself a lot, I get lower numbers with the vision log tool but they’ve been following the trend of the endmyopia calculator more or less. My most recent reading on the snellen (3m) is LE: 20/40 line and RE: 20/30 line, I should mention that the line I marked is the line I can barely read, the more readable line is one above these so more like LE: 20/50 and RE: 20/40, a few weeks ago when I tested early on I recall barely being able to read 20/50 with my left and 20/40 with my right eye so I assume I can base the little bit of improvement that’s measurable in cm to be consistent with that, interested to see if I can get my “barely readable” line down again and see if the other lines look better than before.

As of now I wear no correction at any time which I know isn’t a good idea but ideally I want to see if I can resolve my astigmatism at least to some degree on my own, I’d rather avoid a complex prescription right off the bat that’ll make it hard for me to decide which decision to go with reductions, I can do active focus well during the day, it’s become easier to do and I can hold it longer, I don’t get much of the tearing and stinging anymore and don’t have to do weird stuff with my eyes as much, though I tend to blink a tiny bit harder than a normal blink and widen my eyes to get it more easily, other times I can get it by just staring and rocking my head or body a bit, seems like the movement makes depth perception easier and my visual cortex figures out the depth better and tries to adjust, whatever’s going on I’m not sure, what I do know is that I want this to happen, I’m being consistent with good habits, I still do a lot of close up but I make sure I never sit for more than one hour and if I let it drag on that long I take a longer break (15 minutes or so if possible, sometimes even more), I don’t use my phone as much as before either, I’m still really early into this so I have to have more logs, experience and knowledge to gauge what’s going on.

For the time being if anyone actually read all of this thank you, I’m glad there’s an active community for this, not just for the knowledge shared but also the much needed encouragement to go through with this, it’s definitely tough and it’s hard to see much or any progress a lot of the time, I’m still doubting if anything has changed at all since I started, kinda funny that my recent memories of (wow I can see this without trying now) are already filled with doubt, I know that if what I felt I saw is real the experience will happen again and again until I feel less like I’m fooling myself.

4 Likes

The intro post turned out too long so I decided to make a separate one for a more detailed analysis of my astigmatism afterwards.

Based on Elliot B. Forrest’s functional astigmatism theory the problem can arise from irregular eye scanning habits and while I did look around for other reasons most pointed towards genetic faults that can’t be fixed and “can’t be fixed” is the last thing I want to embed any further in my mind than the medical professionals already have.

The theory and it’s correlation with my case:

In short the theory implies that astigmatism occurs in the direction of less eye movement, so if someone mostly scans vertically their astigmatism axis will be vertical resulting in ATR Astigmatism, meaning they’ll be more myopic in the horizontal axis, the idea sounds farfetched in some way but I have a hard time believing it’s untrue, for years throughout pretty much all of school I had this habit of lying down on my right side with my head resting on my right hand and my body being supported by my elbow, this put my head in a fairly fixed tilted position where I’ll be looking down at a slightly oblique angle, my astigmatism at the time I got my eyes checked (5 years ag) was OD: -0.25 80° OS: -075 80°, this matches up with my consistent habit, the higher astigmatism in my left eye also matches with the theory implying the eye further away from the task developing more astigmatism which would be my left eye, as it had to cross over my nose at a more awkward angle for the task at hand.

Now I got that habit more or less completely out of the system about two years ago after my spine therapy and in the rare case that I lie down like that it won’t be for more than a few short minutes as it causes discomfort and I know it’s damaging in general. A habit that became more apparent later on especially in the past few years is multitasking, having a smaller screen (usually a handheld gaming console) in front of me below my PC screen, this caused me to mostly scan vertically and have my eyes converge, at this point based on what I see my axes are almost mirrored, left eye is still around 80° while right has shifted more towards 110°, so once again this matches the theory, I haven’t taken the primary position plane (direction the head is pointed) into account much but I believe that has had a hand in it as well, though I can’t say for sure if I was mostly holding my head down and looking up or vice versa, as far as I can tell without trying to heavily analyze the habit by performing it exactly I don’t think I had a heavy preference for either so depending on how much I was paying attention to either task I probably changed that.

The correction attempts and observations so far:

A few weeks ago I started trying to tibetan eye chart, I dropped it today as I don’t think it did anything, odds are I didn’t do it enough or right so I’m willing to pick it up again later for further testing however it did make me realize a few things. I seem to be a bit slow at converging or at least was for that exercise, I got better at it and managed to focus more properly as I was going down the steps, gazing all the way left and right is harder for me than up and down and I seemed to involuntarily rotated my head a slight bit towards the sides, I had to very consciously hold my head to avoid the temptation, this led me to observe how I look around more and turns out I have the opposite habits for up/down and left/right, when I want to look up for example I first look up and then if I want to look further up I then tilt my head up, but when it comes to side to side if I want to look right I first rotate my head then if I want to look further away rotate my eyes, I’m still not sure how consistent this habit is but I caught myself on a few occasions rotating my head for something that is more practical to just shift my gaze left or right a bit instead, I’m still trying to figure this out but it further cements in the functional theory of astigmatism for my case if I really do this most of the time.

I started attempting an exercise in trying to do a form of active focus that’s tailored towards evening out patterns like concentric circles as they reveal astigmatism clearly, I have a hard time clearing it up perfectly but with some effort it goes from blur to double vision and then the fainter image slowly fuses, though it rarely becomes perfectly even and when it does it’s momentary, It’s only been a short few days since I started this and I don’t know how often I should do it, the more the merrier (maybe) but it’s extremely boring so requires me to build more discipline, about two days ago after a longer session I went and watched TV and it looked a lot clearer than before with really no extra effort, it was almost perfect and I didn’t believe what I was seeing, the next night it looked the same as before, I watch cartoons and the stark black outlines reveal the astigmatism distortions, it’s not unbearable but it’s definitely noticeable, small-ish text is also uncomfortable or even hard to read even though my distance is just 3 meters.

Since yesterday I finally read Elliot Forrest’s proposed therapy which is surprisingly actually good old eye exercises but they’re specifically targeted towards the axis, I won’t go into the details as this post is already long enough, after trying to exercise a couple times I did one round behind the window late at night, lights far away look like starbursts to me normally but after the exercise the aberrations shrunk noticeably, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing but I saw results right after that, though the effect slowly returned almost to where it was after about 10 seconds, though it wasn’t as strong, I’d say it went back about 80-90%.I tried it several times again the same night and today as well, same results, based on the research it will take months to have measurable results if any based on the people who participated in the research so I’m well prepared to perform it in the long run in hopes of recovery, today the magenta circle on the vision log tool looked less blurry than I remember in the past month that I started measuring with it, dare I say it’s almost even all around at the usual distance I was observing the unevenness. I have a hard time believing that a noticeable change really did occur in such a short time and I’m half convinced that my mind is just playing tricks on me, so I’ll just have to give it more time to see where things go.

As a last note it’s worth mentioning I noticed since about two days ago my axes have slightly shifted towards the right, my left eye is now almost vertical and right eye is slightly more oblique, I mostly noticed a difference in the left eye however.

I was hoping I won’t make a long post again but maybe next time, I already put out a large bulk of what I wanted to share so I’ll make future posts more brief.

1 Like

I have minor scoliosis, too. Yet discomfort is certainly not minor.
The cause is malocclusion. And I begin to deal with cause.

You should completely disregard any cylinder in all your glasses.
This astigmatism is most likely to be caused by ciliary spasm.

Have you looked into treatment for the scoliosis? a chiropract can help you reverse it especially if it’s mild, I got 3 X-ray scans in the therapy process and by the third one mine was pretty much gone, I’ve tried to keep up with good spine posture habits to prevent it.

Regarding cylinder yeah if I do get correction I’ll attempt to axe the cylinder first, though I don’t know if it’s higher now or not, my measurements say no but my measurements aren’t reliable, self measuring astigmatism is a headache and since it’s present at pretty much any distance (albeit hard to notice in close up) I don’t know what distance to go off of.

If it really is just ciliary spasm I’m wondering how long it’ll take until it lets go, I know it won’t be in one fell swoop but rather gradually, given how I’ve been in this state for years I don’t expect the problems to go down without a long fight. Also makes me wonder if my myopia is axial or still ciliary spasm, if the former it means my eyes shifted towards making it axial to relieve strain from my ciliary being active most of the time, if it’s the latter it means I have a case of long term ciliary spasm and the muscle has simply accepted a limited range of it’s true range as it’s full range, all just theories as I neither know enough about eye biology nor have any factual data of my eyes at hand at the moment.

There is no adequate chiropractors where I live. Instead, the next $100 into the pile of poo.
As well, they don’t address all causes and can’t do so.

As I said, I will use Starecta dental bite to reverse my scoliosis.
Given the facts it’s very mild and I still have growth, my expectations is full correction of imbalance.

Starecta is also helpful to balance face and neck. Body posture heavily depends on teeth.

Ah I see, well good luck, luckily the problem isn’t hard to fix as long as it’s not severe, scoliosis as you probably already know is also another case of “no it can’t be fixed” as far as medical science is concerned, not nearly as controversial as eyesight but it’s up there, I find it odd how heavily underestimated our ability to adapt is, it’s almost like it’s barely accepted for just small children and that’s it.

1 Like

Yes.

On the other side, I know a 40-year old man who reversed his severe scoliosis in the space of year using dental splint and Postural Restoration Institute. I can’t say whether fully by now and it is the case with every scoliosis, but doctors will definitely ask for surgery at 45-degree angle. As well, he says his curve was visible since it appeared (it was double 15 degrees at first) but is not visible now.

You might want to say how much degrees Cobb angle you had?
I was 4, 8 and 8 triple curve in the neck and thoracic spine at Jul '20.
As well as some minimal vertebral rotation.

1 Like

I don’t know what angles I had, if I can I’ll find the scans and take a look later but basically aside from scoliosis I also had too much curvature in my spine in general, I think it’s the lumbar portion that’s curved a bit too much now, I’ve just been lazy to properly do the exercises to completely eliminate that last 5% but my therapist basically told me I don’t need to come for extra sessions anymore, I just have to do the exercises specific to my case and it’ll be gone.

You are in hyperextension position and anterior pelvic tilt.
Try Postural Restoration Institute and 90/90 technique in particular.
Also dental splint, as body posture depends on teeth.
Try to find atlas correction professional.

1 Like

Yeah basically my pelvis is titled a bit more forward, I’ll definitely start putting effort towards this when I get the ball rolling more smoothly with the eye problems.

January 20th Update:

No big changes, but some interesting observations worth sharing and logging.

It’s been a whole week since I started the visual scanning therapy exercise for astigmatism and much to my surprise it seems like it does actually work, my astigmatism is incredibly stubborn but my distance to directional blur which is what I’m logging everyday has been slowly retreating, it starts with the edge of blur softening and then the distance increases a bit, definitely have had some ups and downs and the general trend of getting worse before another small jump in measurements has been happening quite consistently, at this point my left eye passed 70cm and seems to be stabilizing in the 70cm+ ballpark while the right eye is also above 80cm though it’s been the one with more fluctuations.

Out of curiosity I tried the exercise in the direction of my axis (up-down), my expectation was that it might still work but what happened was basically nothing, the aberrations didn’t decrease like they do with the left-right movement so something is definitely happening.

Those aside, a really nice experience a few days ago was I turned on my TV after months and figured I’d play some games on the PS3 after ages and much to my surprise I had no trouble reading the small text at the 3m distance I can sit furthest, that definitely wasn’t the case at all a couple months ago and hell even in the past few years, that was the experience that got me to believe that I’ve actually improved, I’m going to continue doing what I’m doing and keep track of what changes, I’m being a bit too bold going at this without the aid of any reduced corrections but that’s how I am, I never wore them so while I am blur adapted to some degree I’m also not used to perfect clarity so as long as I can get active focus and avoid ciliary lock up well… time will tell :slight_smile:

1 Like

X-rays, degrees, Cobb angles, pain checkup are all useless.

What does work - well, X-rays, but with center line and mm of apex vertebrae horizontal center displacement measurements, not degrees. But I guess only with more moderate cases.

As it reaches minor (0-10 Cobb angle), taking X-rays and measuring degrees is fully useless.
Because from “normal” X-rays I seen, neither has 0 or even 3 degrees. The most ideal has 4 degrees. But that doesn’t necessarily mean he had scoliosis. 3-5% of population have AIS greater than 10 degrees, but it could be up to 80-90% of population having less than 10 degrees.

I’d recommend PRI muscle tests to know whether some scoliosis is left or not.

You will know you still have scoliosis if you can’t feel symmetric contraction of all your spinal muscles.

Otherwise, you should clearly feel all your muscles around the spine on both sides when you extend or flex your spine. You can voluntarily relax and contract them. No any stinging, tingling, pain ever (there can be other sources of pain than scoliosis). You feel you can lean to one side just like to other side. No “different” feelings when leaning to other side (like “I lean equally to both sides, but I feel like I lean slightly differently to other side”).

1 Like

Why would you not use -1.25 (not a diopter advice, but given you said -1.00/-0.75x80 … are your values for full correction) for both eyes for distance?

They’re either full correction or overcorrection but that’s from 5 years ago, I don’t know what I would get prescribed now, even if I do get a pair I’ll only use them sometimes during the night but that’ll have to be after I get a checkup at some point.

My omni-directional blur doesn’t start until after 1 meter but the astigmatism makes the measurements difficult, if my own observations are anything to go by anything above -1 sph for either eye would be overcorrection and adding cyl to that is just gonna make the whole thing complicated right off the bat which won’t really help me more than it’ll confuse me, or at least I assume so.

Huh. Just don’t use CYL, and that’s it.

1 Like

Hey Kam how are you doing with the Forrest therapy, any update? I was reading his stuff and it matches perfectly my case. This past year I’ve been 90 % of the time in front of my screen with my head tilted to the right and constantly reading with my eyes left to right. Left eye is 0.75 170º and right 0.5 165º. The thing is my right eye is the dominant one so I will put my face slightly en the left of my screen so my right eye is centered with the screen, and just like Forrest said, the eye that is closer to the middle is going to develop less astigmatism so that’s what happened to me. Also the right eye that is a little bit bellow the left one beacause of my head tilt, has 5º less than the left one. It all makes sense now. I’ve made a drawing please don’t laugh hahaha.

So basically today I’ve been forcing myself to not tilt my head and read everything with my head instead of only my eyes and for the first time in a vey long time my eyes doesn’t hurt when I look on a screen without my glasses. I have fatih that with a change of habits maybe it will reduce.

And also like you guys were saying I have bad posture overall, I think I have a little bit of scoliosis, so thats posably causing the head tilt and therefore the astigmatism.

Hello Marc, it’s nearing 3 weeks since I started trying to do his therapy suggestion for possible reversal and so far there hasn’t been a remarkable change, but it’s worth noting that very consistently every time I do it the aberrations get smaller, the effect is subtle and I can mostly see it with lights far away, normally they look like starbursts but then after the “exercise” they shrink considerably, the first week or so they slowly shifted to their previous state after a few seconds but now the effect persists longer, though it’s gone after a short while apparently, I haven’t measured much change in the past 10-12 days or so but I don’t expect anything fast either, knowing well that this process like almost anything else needs time, not to mention effective strategies which I don’t quite have it down yet, active focus is harder for me now for some reason as well but that’s a different subject.

My axes used to be the same a few years ago, at least based on the old prescription I never even got, now they’re mostly mirrored and I think it happened last year when I did an excessive amount of up-down movement in close up, I haven’t had a consistent tilted posture ever since I got treatment for my scoliosis but sometimes find myself tilting my head towards the right which generally puts my left eye in a more difficult viewing angle and slightly longer distance to the task so I straighten my head when I notice that.

What I haven’t wrapped my head around yet is how my case of mirrored axes apply to his theory now as I’m still not sure what counts as intorted and what’s extorted, but he said scanning above or below the P.P.P (primary position plane) and I think I had a case of having my head tilted down looking up often but maybe some of the opposite too, not entirely sure.

I think that over time it should lessen, I highly doubt I have “genetic astigmatism” and you might not either, especially since you also find the theory applies to you.

I will give it a try.
I also don’t think my astigmatism is genetic, just a change of habits for the past year and a half and now that I now what it is maybe I can reduce it.
Have you noticed if your up-down eye movement is only when you are looking at screens or allways, including walking and doing different activities? Because for me is only when I’m whatching a screen. That would be easier to correct.