@kem's Road to Emmetropia (public version)

10 October 2020

Opening this new thread with the public search option. If you’re not a forum member and you found this, my old threads are in the supposedly non-searchable section available to members of the forum. Last one of four and links to prior three are here. I’ve been doing this just over a year, at this writing, and have cut down from OD -3.25 -3.25x170 OS -2.75 -2.75x180 to OU -2.00 -0.50x180.

My last post indicates I’m a week or two away from my next normalized reduction. I’m writing this to say that now I have to revise that. I’m going to wait until I reach certain milestones before dropping again. I don’t know how long that’s going to take, but I’ll wait for it.

I’m seeing a lot better than I was even a couple of weeks ago, as I mention in my previous thread. But yesterday as I was driving I realize I still have a definable blur horizon. I have to work pretty hard active focusing in the far distance to clear it up, and it’s still not clear. I think some of this is attributable to astigmatism, but surely some of it is spherical, i.e., undercorrection. As an aside, I’m still amazed at the amount of astigmatism I’ve been able to clear. Concomitantly, I’m still dismayed at the amount of aberration I’m getting (ghosting), but happy this seems to be diminishing as it goes.

I still contend that going back to -2.00 -0.50 x180 OU was a great move. I’m less under-corrected than I was at the -1.75 -0.50 x180 OU, but still under-corrected. This feels like an optimal level of under-correction for consistent gains.

My goals are to be able to see star constellations on a clear night with my current norms, and not have a noticeable blur horizon during the day. Once I get those milestones, I’ll be ready to drop. No predictions about when from me. I’ll wait for those events to come to me.

For a long time, I thought for sure I wasn’t getting improvements as I got to the “bottom” of a correction. I could just taste that desire for the next, larger under-correction gap and its blur challenge. This past two months have shown me that the improvements actually seem to come faster the more closely my eyes come to adapt to the correction I’m wearing. I want to take advantage of that because I anticipate going into the next reduction, I can take advantage of that by being further into that level of correction. I hope all this makes sense.

I have to keep reminding myself that it does not matter what correction I’m wearing, what really matters is how my eyes are responding (improving) and the level of myopia I experience without correction at all. In other words, the facts of improvement and the level of improvement.

EyeQue PVT
I have had the device for just over a year. My initial subscription to the backend/cloud database account expired a few weeks ago, but I haven’t been using the device all that much anyway, so it didn’t really matter. In fact, the last time I used it was in AugustJuly.

I pulled it out this morning and took a test, and of course it gave me an “EyeGlass Number” (EGN) in the -3.25/-2.75 range with outrageous cylinder values, too. I went to look at the account, and then realized it didn’t upload the numbers from the most recent test because the account had lapsed. So I renewed the account for another year (it’s only $5 per year), and then looked to see the numbers I got from the device on this morning’s test. Amazingly, it shows a half diopter improvement in both eyes over the last test I took in August. Now that I’ve renewed the backend account, I’ll take a test every week or so to see if I get consistent and improving results.

As I have mentioned before, the EyeQue PVT device seems to provide slightly higher numbers than actual need, i.e., it’s biased towards over-correction. It probably why they get so many reviews from people saying their prescription is “amazing.” Little do they know they’re going to pay for that in the long term with much higher lens-induced myopia, Caveat emptor.

I also discovered this morning browsing the EyeQue website that they have “test eyeglasses,” which are $19 including shipping, which they will send you according to your latest EGNs. I might try this once for fun; as I mention above, the EGNs tend to over-correct, so I’m not going to want to wear these long term but it would be interesting to see how far off my normalized they are. and 20 bucks isn’t a huge cost for the information gain.

###

6 Likes

16 October 2020

Something that started a few weeks ago, an odd and interesting artifact. My ghost images are not going away, they’re clearing up. It is the weirdest thing. I have also noticed that between the left and right eye, the ghost images are changing their position. That is, my left eye normally has a ghost directly above the main image, and the right eye has one to the right of the main image. I’m noticing that from time to time, these will swap places, and I’ll see a ghost image directly above the main image on my right eye, and a bit of a ghosting to the right of the main image in my left eye.

The clarity keeps getting better for me as I continue in the -2.00 -0.50 x180 OU normalized. Some of the spikes and smears from the astimatism are reducing. I’m hanging on to these normalized because I feel I am capable ot getting to 20/10 vision. The impulse has always been to reduce as quickly as possible, and to “take care of the last bits at the very end.” But thinking that through, I really feel like I need to know what absolute clarity is as I go through this process. I may get 4-6 more reductions in normalized as I continue my process. I’d like practice getting that absolute clarity before I get to low myopia, rather than having to do something I haven’t yet let myself do.

My sense is that it will also reduce the amount of time I’ll spend in later reductions. That is, I’ll be closer to the place where the new normalized give me. I still plan to wring as much reduction/advancement in clarity as I can out of each step.

The only thing left to talk about this update is equalization (or equialisation for my non-US readers). I struggle with evaluating my progress here. Both my norms and diffs are “equalized,” but there is a noticeable difference between the eyes. The EyeQue PVT picks this up, although I think it over-accentuates the difference. It says the difference is 0.50D. I don’t see this much difference when I switch from left to right single eye views. I think the right has a harder time focusing when the left is open, and the increased cylinder and mapped astigmatism in it degrades vision overall. I have to say this is improving. I’m noticing that the right eye doesn’t get as tired after patching, and seems to continue to be able to function independently (patching) at the end of the day. At the end of the day, I’m not sure how much of the difference to attribute to the mapped astigmatism and cylinder, equalization, or normal ocular dominance. In any case, I continue to strive to work the eye using daily patching and basic awareness of binocular vision. Eventually I think it will stop being as much of a distraction as it has been. It’s already improved, although hedonistic adaptation makes me tend to forget where I came from and to appreciate where I am today.

###

6 Likes

Good to read about your progress. I will let the other astigmatism assassins pave the way - I am not making much progress with mine.

1 Like

Welcome to review my last thread on forum :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I read all your posts - I just don’t always have something useful to say. :smile:

3 Likes

11 November 2020

I switched to the -1.75 -0.50x180 OU last week. I’m glad I waited until I could see stars at night with the -2.00s. I’m down to -0.50 OU for diffs. I probably won’t use them much after a couple more months.

The remaining cylinder aberrations are getting less as well as more regularly shaped, so less of a bother.

I plan to stay in these through December, re-evaluate then.

One more pair of lenses with cylinder to go (next round), then I’ll order my first set of sphere-only norms.

This is amazing stuff.

###

10 Likes

That is great news - congratulations!

1 Like

Hey Kem how is it going?

1 Like

The eye project is going well. I’m sticking with my -1.75 -0.50 OU for about two more weeks.

The right eye mapped astigmatism still causes issues but it’s reducing.

Had some personal drama. My mom had some medical issues and needed to move into assisted living, so I have been dealing with that.

Happy holidays! I hope all is well with you and yours.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about your Mom. Season’s greetings to you as well.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully things will get better. Hope your mom is doing better soon. Have a Merry Christmas!

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your mom @kem. I’m sure it’s not a comfortable time for such a move. Happy holidays.

1 Like

Sorry about your mom.
It was nice to read your last updates. Well done.

1 Like

2021-01-06

Today I ordered what I believe will be my last four sets of glasses. -1.50 OU, -1.25 OU, -1.00 OU, and -0.75, all in a distance PD.

I’ve been in my -1.75 -0.50 xAAA OU since sometime in November. It feels like the astigmatism is really going away, and the sphere is really clearing up. I’m going to stick with these for a few more weeks. I want really good, clear vision before going into my last glasses with cylinder. I already have those, -1.75 -0.50 OU. They’ve been sitting on my coffee table for months.

I’m amazed that this works, still. And I’m experiencing nearly weekly major improvements at the tail end of this pair of norms.

I’m hoping that my next pair will be only a slight undercorrection and the improvement will continue at the same pace.

We shall see.

###

12 Likes

It is great that your astigmatism is nearly gone and soon you won’t have to use cylinder anymore.

2 Likes

that is so fantastic!

1 Like

Well done! and a really good motivation for those with high astigmatism.

1 Like

12 January 2021

A few comments. At the beginning of this journey, I could not wait to get into the next pair of reduced lenses. I thought, for sure, that undercorrection was THE thing that helped drive the improvement.

A few months ago, I dropped into the set of lenses I’m using now, and was stunned by how bad everything was. I decided to go back up for a few weeks. What I realized was that the gains I felt came even faster in that set of lenses.

I probably dropped out of those into these even a bit earlier than I should have, but the extra five weeks or so in the stronger pair made a huge difference.

Most days in my current pair, I see very well. I’m still having some trouble with a difference in ocular dominance/power, but I’m very close. Additionally, a bit of issue with astigmatism being worse in OD than OS. My plan is to wait until I’m really at the 20/20 clarity level, even though I’m sitting on my next distance reduction (the only diffs I use are -0.50 OU from time to time, like at night after a long day).

I think what I’m trying to say is that the blur challenge you get at the beginning of a new set of normalized is great, and feels like massive improvement, but that the actual improvement comes fastest at the end, when the difference between clarity and blur is at its closest to a place where “natural” accommodation can clear it up. My eyes seem to clear blur at this level with much more control and accuracy, particularly when I am fresh, but even when I’m at the end of the day.

That is all for this update, but I’m definitely interested to know if anyone else experiences similar effects at the end of their normalized rounds.

###

7 Likes

I cannot say for sure yet, but what is sure that I’m totally surprised that even though my current normalized is less than a 0.25 reduction compared to my full correction I’m still improving. And yes, maybe improving even faster than before with this normalized, and definitely faster than when I had huge reduction compared to my full correction.

1 Like

I don’t know how to put it better but I always seemed to carry over 2 or 3 weeks of initial optimism from the previous norms. Then there was a drop (with the dilemma of “have I reduced too early or too much?” or just simply the procrastination of “what’s wrong now?”), then slow continuous improvement cm by cm, and finally an actual obvious improvement at the end that doesn’t disappear like the initial optimistic “perception of improvement”.
When I question my improvement from time to time, I go back up for a short time to test if vision is really better with stronger correction or simply just to enjoy effortless clarity (EM on holiday). As I progress with the new norms, there’s less and less need for stepping back.

3 Likes