🎧 Le Podcast: Your Input Please!

So … as you know, we’ve been calling our improvement discussions, “podcast style”.

Mostly something I came up with to give the whole thing a familiar format concept for participants. “Hey, it’s just like a podcast!” - so that makes it maybe a bit more un-intimidating and interesting to partake in.

Didn’t really think of this as an actual endmyopia podcast. Those need actual production and show notes and distribution, upload to platforms and … who knows, it’s a whole job and another thing.

But then people keep asking for these “podcasts” to be on various platforms.

And since endmyopia is all about the ongoing experiment of whatever this resource wants to be, I’m up for that as well (though … something like $100 per episode or more to pay for somebody to deal with production - as always, more money). It would need a bit more of a format, though.

Which is where we need the sage insights from our darling group here:

First, how do we frame this whole thing? Is it whatever topics happen? Improvement reports? Should we have a series of questions we ask everybody, so we have a bit of a standard format that you can expect and get various people responding to the same inquiry, for maximum potential clarity on different takes on a subject? What would those questions be?

And then in general, what else would you, especially if you listen to podcasts, be needed to create a bit of a framework to make this sort of work? And semi related, do some of our Youtube videos need to be in that also, mainly just to be on platforms that aren’t Youtube?

Let me know. Keep in mind that this is likely to escalate in cost and be yet another line item in the never ending list of endmyopia expenses - so if we do it, at least let’s make it worth it.

6 Likes

I like the idea of having a set of questions that you ask everybody when discussing their improvements. However, I also like the idea of leaving room for flexibility as everyone has a unique story and there might be unique questions for certain people. Some good standard questions could be something like these: How did you find Endmyopia? Why did you want to reduce your diopters? What diopter correction did you start at? Where are you now? How long did it take? What benefits (other than your diopters decreasing) did you experience? Were there any unexpected benefits? What challenges did you have on your journey? How did your habits change? What would you like to tell people who have years until 20/20 about the benefits of going down just one diopter?

I like the improvement reports but it would be good to leave it open to other topics as well. For example, I really enjoyed your recent interview with the optometrist… that wouldn’t be an improvement report, but that is the kind of thing that should probably be included. So definitely include improvement reports, but vary it with other topics and interviews as well.

4 Likes

Personally, I’m really enjoying the live chat / podcast style episodes thus far. I’m also enjoying the questions during the beginning (e.g. When did you start?, Where did you start from?) and ultimately I think they’re going well. The questions that you’re asking on the posted episodes are really good. Letting guests tell their stories and experiences with myopia and leaving the podcast open is always nice. In terms of putting it on other platforms, you could always use an audio only version on regular podcast platforms. Right now I’m loving the format as it’s so real and true to its delivery.

2 Likes

So first of all I don’t really like the podcast format in general, so take everything with a grain of salt.

My first thought when I’ve read your post is that why overengineer it? :slight_smile: I mean the whole podcast format started as some guy sit down to a table and record what they speak and put it to the internet because they thought they funny / thoughtful / whatever. So why not let it grow naturally at least a bit before trying to make it professional?

Anyhow about topics: I’m generally not really found of simply progress / gain reports. I mean sure, they are important to show people that yes, progress happens, but after seeing a few of them they are not really interesting. What is interesting how the progress happens? What daily habit changes people did (and what they usual day looks like), what struggles they had, how they solved them, what “heretic” things they do, how do they determine when to reduce, what kind of measurement they use, how did they found AF, is there any unusual thing which helps them AF (like some specific object, texture, etc)? These kind of things.

3 Likes

By the way I’m curious when the first people will appear who say that these are just fake podcasts with paid actors :rofl:

3 Likes

What kittehs said. I’m not too much into podcasts neither, but I’d love some room for the different stories. For some, EM might be the starting point of looking at things from an alternative point of view, learning to use google scholar. Others have been on that path already, and I so love the introduction posts here, the stories that led kittehs here.
Yes, ask for standard data, but like David said, ask for their details.
So just adding some other questions:

• how did you change your habits?
  • what have you learned from EM (eye related, life related)
  • what does your improvement mean to you? Where and when can you see it, aside from measuring?
  • why do you want to get rid of myopia?
  • Has anything changed about your life/mindsetd since EM?
  • how could the guru improve the HP/make EM more credible? :wink: :wink: :wink:

And of course: Pllzzzzlz, make make a transcript of those podcasts for the reading folks… :innocent:

4 Likes

Interesting to see a variety of opinions. I prefer listening to reading at this stage. I definitely agree that transcripts are a good idea.

I like the list of questions from @Tii_Chen. Improvement reports can get to be repetitive eventually.

I think the core question is: what’s the goal? Are we trying to:

• expand the reach of EM

• clarify the “how tos” of the process for current participants?

• connect with other “alternative” health podcasts / people to share ideas

• some combination

I think the course of the podcast episodes really depends on what we’re trying to do overall.

1 Like

Just the highlights and why it worked if in the “how to” goal. Differing results are else unexplained, why some people were able this and some people didn’t. It’s dope to know how, not just raise interest.

1 Like

posted to wrong topic! sorry

Transcripts, $1 per minute of video. WHO’S GOT THAT KINDA MONEY?!

And give or take $80 to $100 per episode to produce if we dig deeeeep into lowball territory and still find a decent audio engineer and podcast guy. Intro & outro, cover art, ID3 tags, show notes, quote cards for social media, a podbean subscription for hosting, publishing to podcast platforms, promoting on social media.

One might say, oh why bother! But if you’re gonna do stuff, might as well try to do it semi properly. People judge us by the cover and it’s bad enough that half of the site is rants and invisible beard jokes. (which will STAY that way!)

Also going back to why this year will be the year of monetization and treating endmyopia like some sort of a business. Half baked just isn’t how this thing wants to go.

Please do keep ideas and feedback coming. I hired a podcast engineer to do all the above things and produce ten episodes as a start (five of the interviews and five solo ones, so we get some idea of what this might look like).

Then as with all other things, see if it’s got legs. Very much relying on you guys to point out flaws and offer direction since as usual and always, I have not the slightest idea of what I’m doing.

MAY THE BEARD BE WITH THEE!

3 Likes

Also. Yet another thing that requires a name.

Here’s all I’ve got so far. Either … Hindsight, The 20/20 Podcast. OR. A Guru Beard Hath Spoken.

Both are equally confidence inspiring and majestic.

Better ideas, please. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Foresight is 20/20…'cause well, ya know.

2 Likes

shortsighted (no more!)

2 Likes

I really like the first one, the second one is hard because newcomers will not know what it’s about. Along those lines, I have to agree with @Tii_Chen, shortsighted draws in the crowd that you want to.

So in line with that:

• Shortsighted, the podcast
  • Shortsighted, the myopia reversal podcast
  • Shortsighted, reverse it

Some thoughts, like you said, books getting judged by their covers. It has to be crystal clear from the start what the podcast is about to peek peoples interest.

1 Like

From shortsighted to 20/20? Though I’m not sure about the 20/20, because a large part of the world uses the 6/6 notation…

2 Likes

For many noobs those numbers (regardless of their iteration) mean zilch and it might even confuse them. Just some normal day to day English, for instance: From shortsighted to normal sighted?

2 Likes

That sounds too… normal :slight_smile: From shortsighted to eagle eye? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If only that were feasible :eagle: , how about: From shortsighted to proper/good natural vision?

I really like Shortsighted, the myopia reversal podcast. For the majority of people who don’t know what myopia is, the podcast image cover could be a real picture of broken glasses on a summer day.

The standard intro to every episode should mention the countless success stories and clinical studies found on the website, and that there’s a community of people doing this. If it goes into the content straight away there might be a woosh moment for newcomers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Me, too :heavy_heart_exclamation:
(Though my true secret favourite of course is:: A Guru Beard Hath Spoken. My life as The Eye Guru. Won’t get past @laurens though, sigh :wink: )

So maybe:
Shortsighted. The myopia reversal podcast. Is vision improvement possible? ( <- if we can add subtitles? I think vision improvement should be a tag somewhere.)

3 Likes