Let's have a Bates conversation

When I began this journey I worked with some Bates recommendations like a lot of us may have done. I did palming and would practice seeing black and tried to clear my vision of any color. Now on occasion I still do some palming just to see if there is any color. I find it interesting that when I do this I usually see black almost every time. I wonder if anyone else has done this or if there was some other bates method you may have followed and want to share.

3 Likes

Just don’t do the staring into the sun bit, or driving seriously under-corrected bits.

2 Likes

And do do the endmyopia bits.

Bates never hurt anybody.

In my mathematical mind, it’s been a while since he helped too.

2 Likes

Gotta say I probably drive undercorrected per DMV but never in long distance or places i need to read the signs.

1 Like

Ha ha well Bates probably didnt see so many glasses in his lifetime.

1 Like

Yeah…cage match: Bates vs Zenni!

1 Like

In the IS legal is 20/40, which is considerably less than the doctor will proscribe.

I like palming. I came across Bates, oo, twenty+ years ago, so have done a fair bit of it at various times and find it soothing and definitely helpful in relieving strain. I don’t see black - more a speckled dark field. Sometimes after too much bad eye use when I start palming I see a kind of jumping pulsing light in a particular spot in my right eye which seems to be a muscular thing of some kind, because it eases and fades after a little while. (Def. NOT retinal detachment don’t worry folks)

I think a lot of other Bates suggestions can be really helpful in finding active focus - though I forget now which are Bates and which are other things I’ve picked up along the way! Eg. looking for the edges of things, following lines near to far, shifting and swinging to both enhance perception of distance and also help balance the effort between right eye and left eye…

2 Likes

EOMs, yes the much disputed extraocular eye muscles. As I have gone uncorrected for 30 years and I have a big diopter gap, my visual cortex has dealt with the problem by ignoring to a large extent the input of the much weaker left eye. This has also meant that accurate convergeance has not played a big role in close or medium distance vision. Now that I am occasionally trying to use one-lensed diffs, I get pain in the sinus region with the effort of the two eyes to converge. It is not that my left eye has been roaming about freely in my eye socket :roll_eyes:- eye movements are still yoked, although I cannot tell if saccadic eye movements are yoked when reading.
I think some gentle EOM exercises a la Bates and others might be in order. I have stopped trying to use these one-lensed diffs for reading, as clearing text requires accurate convergeance. But I have started wearing a one-lensed diff with an undercorrection of at least 2.5D for the left eye (and no cyl correction) to look at distances of 1-2m, requiring no close convergeance, for a few minutes several times a day. Looking at the flames in my woodstove is very soothing, and the kettles and pots on top of it, and this hopefully provides some stimulus to the left eye. I can’t do this for too long, as I still see much better with no correction at all for the left eye.

1 Like

I recall Bates saying people who have perfect eyesight see black when they cover their eyes. And I have tested the palming just to see if I have color. Although I dont have perfect eyesight I wonder if my eyes have relaxed.

Oh so you have started making your eye wear a lense? I think combining Bates is a good idea. We can surely use some methods he discussed to help.

When sunning with eyelids closed, I see lila which turns to white after a while. I wonder if the colors mean something? In the beginning I couldn’t see lila. Some teachers discourage using exaggerated eye movements, which are probably why people don’t like exercises that hurt. Then you need a good eyesight to do the long swing, which is why all the good exercises can’t be done with glasses on. With glasses on, the eyes are always tensed up and when you start seeing black eyes closed, they start to be relaxed like they should.

1 Like

What is lila? I have not heard this before.

It’s the color purple of course, I didn’t realize lila is not a full word.

lilac?

I see what I’ve always assumed was an image of the inside of my own eye. I don’t know how the retina could see itself, reflection off the back of the lens? There’s a network of blood vessels and a dark spot a bit off center. Maybe it’s just a wee bit of light shining through my hands that my huge pupils pick up.

1 Like

Well either you misspelled it 2x or I had a knew word to learn :smile: :laughing: :smiley:

I like to do sunning too and sometimes colors are very vivid red blue purple (lila). I could never hold a particular color though.

2 Likes

I used to see lights that float around and it took alot of effort to clear all lights and see all black. I don’t know if it improves EM vision buy it is supposed to help you relax the eyes. I also had strange images sometimes that floated around and always made me think it was veins in my eye.

Depending on native language, that might be the correct spelling:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lila
In the languages related to Spanish, lila is lilac.

1 Like

Yes, but in very small doses, and it may not last. :wink:
Bates has helped me to improve in the past, but not sustainably so. It remains to be seen if EM improvements are sustainable for me.

1 Like

In Dutch and German as well, and probably several other languages…