Let's talk about how to relax the eyes for distance vision

Dtnsg here, aka Dave, I have googled how to relax the eyes and I tried it out and it is surprisingly easy to do. What you do to relax the eyes is loosen all of the facial muscles and lower your jaw a bit. The best description of the feeling is that of like you just woke up. Believe me, I see this way now as far or as close as I want to for as long as I want to and I blink every few seconds. I now see better than 20/20. You all can do it too. Have a fantastic day.

4 Likes

Dear Dave,
I find your relaxation techniques to be intriguing, especially being able to see 20/20 at -4.75. I am currently in the -3 range, and I am excited to try it out. It seems too good to be true, to be able to push back and regain all the ground lost against myopia.

1 Like

I do the same thing and it works for me. Just open your mouth little bit and breathe through your nose.

My question is:
To fully relax eyes (ciliary body), is it better to look in the distance not wearing any glasses (my current prescription is about -5; so everything is very blurry but I can still look without straining–I’ve become blur adapted), or to look in the distance wearing normalized glasses?
I assume that whether or not wearing glasses, looking at near objects induces eye strain.
(Closing the eyes may not relax the eyes, as discussed elsewhere.)
I have not yet figured out active focus–so I am focusing on just relaxing the eyes to relieve eye strain from close up work.

That depends on your degree of myopia. The distance at which the ciliary is relaxed for an uncorrected high myope is much closer than that of a low myope. For eye shape reasons.

As to whether you should look at a distance with or without glasses, well. The short answer is that you should be able to do AF so that generally means with normalized. There’s a video on that on Jake’s youtube. Also this article explains the proper way to do it.
Generally, if you are following the method you are not supposed to have normalized lenses before figuring out active focus and the whole eye strain thing, so I would suggest to take it slowly and focus on not being overcorrected when looking at the computer while simultaneously trying to find active focus.

2 Likes

@Salt Thank you so much for your advice!
Now I know that differentials, then active focus, then normalized… Well I didn’t know this two weeks ago; so my child now has both differentials and normalized. But I will get differentials only for myself.

I find that after being on the screen indoors on my differentials for awhile that it is hard get back that distance active focus when I first go outside. I’m also have blur-adapted habits.

I sometimes take off my normalised for a few minutes and engage ‘active focus’ onto some nearby things before putting on my normalised again. But only after you’ve figured out how to do AF.

I’m about -4.5 and have been doing this for awhile, with slow but steady results.

1 Like