Lionel's first opto-confirmed gains

Le Story:

A ballad of how someone yet unbearded casually decided to get an autorefractometer reading after walking past an optic shop and got this:

Previous measurement from about a year ago -

Immediately got a funny feeling with a mix of ‘wow! gotta brag to every stranger on the street asap’ and a less exciting ‘duh, of course I know my vision got better - I see out of these eyes myself!’.

Le Numbers:

All in all:
0.5D improvement in spherical from -3.25 to -2.75
0.5D improvement in cylinder from -0.5 to none

I do feel like 0.25D of the spherical improvement was simply due to a ciliary spasm release. And I never had any cylinder in my lenses to begin with, but had about 0.25D to 0.5D of cylinder at every autorefractometer measurement for 7 years prior to that.

Despite my previous measurement being a year old already, this vision improvement journey hasn’t really started until January 2021, since 2020 turned out to be a rough year for my eyes with temporarily losing about 80% of the visual fields as well as an ability to focus at any distance whatsoever, getting severe double vision, and some other aftermath of my increased intracranial pressure. Thankfully, most of these issues have slowly resolved.

What I did:

Calmness seems to be the ultimate active focus trigger for me, as was learning to listen to my body in general. Despite being at -2.75, I can comfortably walk outside without glasses and a lot of times get 20/40 to 20/30 clarity for 5-10 minutes at a time - basically any time I calm down enough or get my blood pumping through exercise. Even more amazing than clarity is how three-dimensional everything looks like in these moments - a breathtaking experience. The only problem is that it causes so much tear fluid that I have to carry tissues!

Those eyeballs of mine still protest even against a correction of -2.00 that gives me about 20/60 clarity without AF. My AF is often strong and persistent enough to give me better clarity without them, so they’re mostly collecting dust now. I also had to play around finding good frames, since many shapes distort periphery and lead to strain. Thankfully I found some nice ones and bought 3 pairs of them already,each for a differential reduction.

My sincere appreciation for reading til the end! I’m always happy to discuss my and others’ interesting findings and journeys and anything.
Do let me know if you have any ideas or questions in mind!

11 Likes

Don’t underestimate your improvement. The above is measured by the auto-refractor.
The levels of achievements are this:
Level 1: self measurement in well lit room with cm or Snellen
Level 2: opto measurement in a dark room with test lenses
Level 3: auto-refractor with the machine
You achieved the 0.5D with the auto-refractor and I’ll say that I can easily imagine that the opto would have given you an additional 0.25D or 0.5D reduction (if the type who “only” corrects to 20/20 night driving).
No wonder you feel that you can do very well with a lower correction than -2.75D.

Another shoutout for you for making the astigmatism disappear and having an absolutely equal sph drop. I think it is quite rare to have such a balanced reduction.

Just one comment from my side: I hear you that your preference is no correction but I’d definitely advise you to have distance vision time when you have full clarity. Maintaining a reference to desired clarity will help you with the further reductions. If it bothers you at mid distance, make it real long distance.

3 Likes

I appreciate such detailed information on various ways of measurement! From what I understand, the way autorefractometer measures the refraction error is by looking at the amount and direction of reflected light, but I didn’t really analyzed it optics-wise (it’s called indirect ophthalmoscopy if I’m not mistaken). My guess is that the -2.75 print-out from it is the rounded amount of correction required to eliminate all refraction error, but I should probably study the mechanics of it in more detail.

I’m quite surprised by the equal reduction myself! Most of the time I do AF it’s only one of my eyes that tears up for 30-40 minutes, until it stops and lets its other colleague do some work. I was worried about the disparity at first, but it appears to have averaged-out into equal improvement in the long run.

And thank you for the distance vision advice! I mostly wear my full normalized whenever I’m out at night or am too tired to AF, but I’m trying my best to get out while it’s still sunny and rarely need full correction nowadays. The reason I’m not getting blur-adapted is probably due to my psycho-like AF that keeps providing 20/40-20/30 clarity reference often enough to keep the whole visual system well-calibrated. The clear up-close image I’m getting from my differentials may also play its part.

1 Like