Low light vision

Hi endmyopia community!

My name’s Daniel and I’m from Montreal, Canada! officially started my endmyopia journey on June 6th 2021. My last perscription glasses were -5.5 in my right eye and .5.75 in my left eye. I started out this journey with the 7-day email guide and scouring the endmyopia website for tons of Jake’s articles and videos. I eventually invested in le rough guide as well, and now I am on my first set of normalized with diopters of -5 in the right eye and -5.25 in the left and I am able to see the 20/20 line on my Snellen chart! The method is working!

I did have one question however that I couldn’t solve by myself and so I thought I would finally post on the forum. I was actually able to improve my vision to see the 20/20 line with my first normalized, however low light conditions still prove to be an issue. I have been reading some articles on the website regarding this, however I am still a little unclear on how to proceed. Le rough guide mentions that in order to reduce to a new pair of normalized, I would have to be able to see in low light conditions. Specifically, it mentions to reduce:

• If you can see distant objects outside clearly in cloudy/rainy conditions.
  • If you are looking at something outside (far away) at dusk or dawn and still get a sharp image.
  • Or let’s say you are in a tunnel, with only artificial lighting and you can see clearly around you.

I remember reading Jake’s article regarding the exercise of looking at a digital clock in a dark room, however I also read a forum post answered by the moderator Sandra that night vision improves when general vision improves, and that training for night vision early on is not necessary. My question is, should I be actively trying to active focus at night to improve my vision in low light conditions or do I just need to be patient, continue with my habits of active focus with distance vision and wearing differentials for close up work, and eventually I will be able to see just as clear in low light conditions? Should I be tracking Snellen data with less light as well? And finally, is the idea to transition to a new pair of normalized only when I can see perfectly clear at night? I have noticed lately that my vision inside my local gym has improved which is good because the lighting in there is not always the best, however like I mentioned the night and specifically driving through tunnels does seem to still pose an issue. Thanks in advance for any help that comes my way :slight_smile:

Low light conditions cause your eye’s pupil to open up. Due to something called spherical aberration, this causes your eyes to become more myopic by 0.25 to 0.5 diopters vs during bright daylight. It’s a refractive phenomenon, and totally normal.

It’s also why optos overprescribe, they want you seeing sharp in dark overcast light for driving, because if they don’t and you get in an accident under those conditions, they might be liable. But this results in a prescription that is 0.25 to 0.5 diopters overcorrected in bright daylight.

In reality we really need two sets of normals, one for bright daylight, one for dark conditions. However, nobody likes juggling so many glasses (or paying $400 twice, if you get them from the opto), so we all end up overprescribed.

As far as active focus in darker conditions, sure you can do it and it will aid in progression, but you won’t find it quite as effective, I find I can’t completely clear the blur in dark conditions.

3 Likes

Right. Personally this is why I use my current normalised in daylight and the 0.25 D stronger previous normalised at night

2 Likes

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the reply!