Lutein and Zeaxanthin

Throwing this out there for anyone who has thoughts on subject matter. A colleague forwarded the email for The Outback Vision Protocol by Bill Campbell. In a nutshell the author rants about the optometrist profession and Lasik very similarly to Endmyopia. He claims his smoothies with subject nutrients healed his wife and mirrors the diet of the Aboriginal tribes in Australia. I got sucked into buying the online 130 page PDF only to later read the horrific 40+ comments thread on Amazon reviews.

My question is if anyone has had vision improvement that appears to be attributed to these 2 nutrients. The group has touched on Vitamin D, magnesium, iodine…not sure if these 2 have been discussed yet.

1 Like

Every time I see one of those magic unicorn eye vitamin ads … :flushed::rage::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Causality. Everything else is just a money grab.

I am the classic sucker when it comes to eye improvement… I found EM because of that but was different because there was no cash outlay required…still feeling grateful :wink:

2 Likes

Well and it takes trial and error to find answers. I tried every conceivable thing before eventually figuring out the myopia puzzle.

No harm in that. It’s just the people who propagate patently silly things that annoy me. Not even for the money but just the waste of time and stealing future motivation to keep trying.

6 Likes

Lutein and Zeaxanthin are both needed by the eyes to function normally, so I guess to claim that either of them magically heals anything bay be a little like saying “water healed my de-hydration”

I remember that I read somewhere that the macula especially needs lutein, so people with macular degeneration are indeed treated with lutein. Taking a supplement can make sense for people with deficiencies. Question is: How to find out if there IS a deficit? Not sure if those two can even be testet.

Taking a supplement “just to be on the safe side” would be, as Jakey pointed out already, a waste of money at best.

Also: There are lots of vegetables that have high contents (just look up the wikipedia article), so if you want to be on the safe side that you’re not lacking, you can always boost your lutein and zeaxanthin levels with those :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good points Michael… I’ve actually started eating more organic veggies when I switched to intermittent fasting. The hardest part has been remembering that I’m intermittent fasting :grin:

As a footnote, Outback Vision Protocol refunded my US $37 immediately. I was appalled reading that the author Bill Campbell used an alias name to protect his identity from the optometrist profession…say what!!! Not sure what to believe anymore on the internet even if referred by a good friend. As Jake says “trial and error” results is only way to see what works and what doesn’t.

1 Like

This scholarly article shows an association with myopia and low vitamin D. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24970253. Note it’s just an association, not a causal relationship. Could be that myopes spend more time inside with books and screens and thus don’t get enough sun exposure to produce enough vitamin D. See this article with that regard … https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29371008 .

3 Likes

Good that I yeat an egg everyday! :grinning::yum:

1 Like

I use it occasionally, mostly when my retinas feel burnt out on screens. Actually, just took one now for that reason. It’s expensive, so I don’t eat it like candy or anything. Ideally, we’d get everything we need from food, but it doesn’t always happen for everyone. Who knows!

The use of vitamin D for the treatment of myopia is probably nonsense.
I gave my son a vitamin D for two years before he developed myopia and of course it did not help.
You can move on.
Lack of vitamin B is just an idealization that you were not outside and did not get a good visual stimulation

1 Like

Does it help eyestrain for you?

I think it helps the retinal fatigue from looking at screens. Like if I take it at night when my vision is faded out, my vision seems a bit more contrasty the next day, possibly better than with rest alone. So I take it once or twice a week, especially if I haven’t had foods that contain it in a while.

1 Like

I’ve had various e-mails over the years from buyers of that “protocol” - and none very favorable.

Now, I haven’t read it so who knows. Only throwing out there that I haven’t heard positive things about it, and I hear positive things about just about everything, at least from some proponents.

When it comes to nutrients, my own take is always the same boring Jake-ism: “Have you confirmed there to be a problem, first?” :smiley:

I know, so stupid.

But I like to go to a lab, get all the relevant blood panels done, confirm my levels, and know whether I have a deficiency. Vs. just reading a thing online and then popping a pile of supplement pills.

Either way it’s a good idea to look at your blood panels. Lots there telling the story of your likely future well-being, and an easy way to get tangible data on things that may warrant a bit of closer consideration.

(I found a lot from mine, like learning how sugar was very tangibly affecting things, and that my thyroid wasn’t working, and that my B12 levels were below any acceptable level - no symptoms for anything, a very surprising pile of experiences there.)

Note here as always, take this as just as a comment from someone who has absolutely no authority or special status on this subject. I’m a total nothing on the nutrition front, or even just saying above … not even qualified to suggest getting blood work done. I know about myopia only, everything else is just a guy who likes to look at and tinker with absolutely way too many things. :wink:

Though it is an enormous rabbit hole. And another risk to get sucked into Internet unicorn farming. Take this one thing from me, be super super careful when it comes to this topic, and taking advice online. Till you learn how to spot it (Google Scholar be your friend!), there’s a lot of possibly tempting massive unicorn farming for just about everything. People be craaazy!

2 Likes

This is the only eye supplement I keep on hand. I usually end up using it once or twice per week, when I haven’t gotten enough in my diet or when my eyes feel burned out from screens. It actually seems to help restore visual contrast about twelve hours after use. This, a multivitamin almost every day, and often vitamin D. Are the really the only supplements I ever use.