Maintaining clarity throughout the day

The thing is,I am starting to go outside as much as possible, cycling or walking daily.I get better vision as I AF.But I can’t maintain that clarity as the day passes and its worst in the evening.Its very hard to AF everytime as there are other things to do.How can I maintain that same clarity I had during morning?What more outdoor habits do you recommend me?

Depends on a number of things. How long have you been doing EM? How many times have you reduced your normalized?

In my experience, at least in terms of the mistakes I’ve made, it’s best to choice a normalized that gives you good clarity in not great conditions (overcast or indoor fluorescent lighting) so that you don’t end up overestimating how much clarity you can produce with too much undercorrection. In all the time I’ve been doing this, I’ve found that the hardest part of EM is patience. It was hard for me, and it seems hard for a lot of people, to get a normalized that gives 20/25 or 20/30, then sit on it for 4 months before reducing.

2 Likes

hear hear!

Patience.

Most people experience worsening acuity throughout the day. Its just a simple matter of your eyes getting tired.
Don’t stress and as Matt said. Make sure your not too undercorrected because walking around at the end of the day with bad acuity is just plain annoying!

2 Likes

I’m also experiencing this, but so far I’m just a newbie with my first differentials and didn’t even get my first normalised yet.
I also experience worse eyesight in the morning and it gets better around midday and than get’s worse again. :see_no_evil: :nerd_face:
I did however completely abolish the use of my phone (except for calling) since I now really see the difference it does to my eyesight. It goes worse after just a few minutes. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

@Emch Well done on changing phone habits. Super important :+1:

That was my initial experience, too. Initial = lasted for about a year at least. :sweat_smile:
My eyes needed “booting up” time and then soon after peak time they got tired.

The only secret is patience.
If you push on the best performance you will get better and better with your eyesight in good lights but that won’t save you the time you will need to spend on improving the eyes in less then ideal conditions, too. When the lights are artificial, low or you are just tired.

@gaurav12 As annoying as it is to hear this, I’m afraid @MattE and @Alexbreedon1111 are right about patience.

Quoting from my journal:

What changes I monitored:

• How long does it take from getting up until the day’s best vision? – it used to take about 5 hours, now it takes less than 30 minutes
  • How much is the change within the day (between the day’s best and worst)? This is what I found increasing in winter a lot. Worst record in Nov 2019: up to a 1.25D difference within a day. But usually I manage to keep it within 0.5D now.
    Note: it took me long to realise that LUX is between 10 and 80 in a winter morning on the Snellen I use vs. summer’s 1000 LUX. This is indoors.
  • How much time do I need to clear the blur on a text I thought to be on the blur horizon? – zero seconds? 5 secs? minutes? never? did I have to AF for it?
  • Can I switch between close-up and distance? At the beginning once I used my contacts, I could not go back to no corrections. Now I can use corrections for quite a few hours and then still continue with no corrections 20/20.
    So much so that sometimes I rush into the bathroom to take my contacts out not to ruin my vision, just to find that they are not on my eyes but in the case already… Happened several times :joy:
  • Can I switch between smartphone screen and distance vision? Though Jake doesn’t recommend interrupting distance vision with phone’s screen, I deliberately measured how much the phone screen took away from distance vision, as I think it will remain a real life scenario that I will have to switch between these focal planes.
  • How sharp are the texts on moving objects? (number plates, ads on trucks, etc)
  • How sharp can I see the faces, especially indoors? (not just across the table, but across a hall full of people, trying to spot friends)
  • How much do twilight and darkness take away from my daylight vision? Can I clear blur then?
  • How sharp are the digital clock’s numbers in the dark?

What I measured
There was no point anymore in measuring the blur horizon from the laptop screen. So I switched to these:

• measuring the blur horizon from Snellen in cms – walking back to the point where the 20/20 line was still clear (no AF and no blur or DV)
  • measuring the blur horizon from the bookshelf, with books strategically arranged like in a bookshop on display – different colours, font types, font sizes, different contrast with the background colour, etc
  • measuring the blur horizon from the texts on boxes and tools on the kitchen counter
  • measuring the number of cars to the furthest number plates I could read (driving licence with no correction equals to about reading the number plate of 5 cars = 20m distance)

How-not-to-guide – How to lose 1 or 2 lines on Snellen

Measure your eyes:

• first outdoors on a sunny summer day, and then in the evening indoors at artificial insufficient lights. Dropping from 3k LUX to 150 should do the trick. Sometimes the same can be achieved just by sitting and focusing on a Snellen while clouds pass in front of the window.
  • first on a late autumn holiday in a Mediterranean country after relaxing for a week with lots of outdoor times, and then at home in your Northern country when it’s raining outside, preferably after sleeping little and working a lot in front of the screen to catch up with your missed e-mails
  • first in the middle of summer, then in the middle of winter best if you also skipped your walks for a few days or months (it is too cold or wet outside anyway)

Compare your best measurement to a measurement on a day

• with stress / bad news / tight jaw / migrane / other constant pain
  • after too much food (junk is the best for this) – make sure you get a proper food coma
  • when you have fever / took pain killers or other medicine
  • when you had little sleep and you feel fatigued
  • after drinking alcohol and then complain you can’t clear the blur

And an odd-one-out:

• compare an AF measurement to one without AF – and actually this is one I recommend to do especially when you are in your last diopter, so you are aware of your AF power in each eye :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
4 Likes

Really great summary of how to think through expectations!

1 Like

:grin: :grin: I love the phrase.

As for quoting from your journal - super helpful! Thank you for sharing. :+1: :pray: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank You for so helpful reply.

When I wake up in the morning and go outside,I can the clear the blur very easily.Then I go home and after sometime when I again go outside it gets difficult to clear the blur.It maybe bcoz my house is mostly dark,light doesn’t come inside.
And also there is no efficient sunlight nowadays outside.It is rainy.But when there is enough light,its sunny,my eyes feels relaxed and I feel happy to AF.

So what I am saying is that Light is playing a great role in my ability to AF.Without enough light,I have to make extra efforts and I strain my eyes.So shall I expect slow improvent these days?

Also as here everyone says that AF is the product habits and a good lifestyle.That means we have to create an environment where AF happens on its own without conscious effort.
That is becoming difficult for me.As my college is not open.And I don’t have enough reasons to go outside.My friends have their online classes and also live far from me.So I can’t spend my time with them outside.I refuse to go outside as there is no reason.Pls help.

Also what do you think about carrot juice.I read somewhere that Jake recommends carrot juice in the program.Did you try it?

I was using -3.25 as my first norms.But it was too undercorrected so I switched to -3.50,which is good.

Does that mean I will have to wait until I just see 20/20 with my present and my future norms.And then my vision in low light conditions will gradually improve?
I can AF well on a sunny day but the moment there is even a little change in lights,my AF varies.
So should I keep doing AF in low light conditions or first improve my eyesight in sufficient and good light?

Well, if you read my 'how-not-to-guide - how to lose 1-or 2 lines on Snellen" summary in my previous post then you surely realise this is normal to lose from visual acuity depending on lights.
It is not slow improvement. It is natural that a new skill comes easier in optimal circumstances and harder in non-optimal circumstances. When you have good results under any circumstances consistently that’s only when you can think about moving forward again.
Similarly just because you can navigate a car in an empty parking lot, or empty roads in the country side, it doesn’t mean you will be fully on top of things in heavy traffic with many roads crossing in the busy city centre on a rainy night. But it doesn’t mean that it is not good that your skills are developing better and better with you being more and more on autopilot when practicing in the safe area. But the real measure is when the conditions are not optimal and you can still achieve your best results.

Tough love: Nothing beats patience and consistency, I’m afraid.

My method for AF:
Indoors: don’t look at phone screens or tablet screens. Use screens that you can keep at the (inside) edge of clarity, where the last point of clarity is at least 60 cms away.
Outdoors: get new friends in your area, or go outdoors with family, whenever there is an opportunity to go outside for chores (going to the grocery shop, bakery, post office) volunteer to do it, or find a hobby that can be done outdoors alone, too. Like riding a bike, rollerskating, etc. Or if there is an opportunity for newspaper delivery?

I eat a lot of raw carrots with hummus as my favourite snack. So I can’t compare “with or without” as I have always been eating them. I haven’t turned orange yet from beta-carotene. That’s all I can say about carrots.