Marlen's Update Journal

Hi everyone!

This will be my journal where I update about my progress with EM (here’s my introduction in case anyone is wondering).

I finally made it to the optometrist and of course I was overcorrected. I’ll get my new full prescription glasses at the end of the week. Here are the numbers:

Overcorrected glasses, January 2021:
R Sph -2,25 / Cyl -0,25 / Axis 170
L Sph -4,25 / Cyl -0,75 / Axis 8

My new full prescription glasses (20/20), May 2021:
R Sph -1,75 / Cyl -0,5 / Axis 160
L Sph -3,75 / Cyl -0,75 / Axis 7

When I’m done writing this, I’m going to order my first set of differentials (R Sph -0,5 / L Sph -2,5). I’ll drop the cylinder since it’s under one diopter. We’ll see how it goes from here. I’m very excited to start my journey! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Here comes a little update:
I’ve been wearing my differentials every day when working on my computer and inside my house (I preferred them to my full correction glasses inside). Generally, the diffs work well for me.

However, there are two things I noticed: When I look at the screen with each eye individually, my left eye has a lot more blur than the right one, which already is the stronger one. I guess this might have to do with the fact that I had dropped only 0.5 of cylinder on the right but 0.75 on the left. I thought about patching to get an equal blur on both eyes, but since it is not recommended at the beginning, I didn’t do it.

The second thing is that I might not have enough blur challenge anymore (in particular on the right eye, but I don’t want to increase the gap by adding 0.25 diopters to the left eye; the gap is big enough already). I also had different screen distances. My laptop screen is usually a little more than 60cm away from my eyes and I have a second screen which was at 90cm distance. I figured this wasn’t the smartest thing to do and changed the distance of the second screen, because working with it became a challenge because of the blur.
Maybe someone has tips for me concerning these two little struggles.

Unfortunately, I’ve been neglecting my good habits for a while now, but I’m trying to get back on track, because of course this has had a negative impact on my measurements.

The most exciting thing for me is that I’m going to get my first normalised in the next couple of days. I can’t wait to try them out and be able to wear them for distance vision instead of my full prescription glasses (I’ll still wear those for driving though; safety always has the highest priority for me). I’m planning to get Sph -1,5 for the right eye and Sph -3,5 for the left eye. Since I recently learned that the gap should be equal in diffs and norms, I’ll drop the cylinder in my normalised too just like I did in my differentials. I hope this makes sense and it is a good plan. :sweat_smile: That’s it for my update!

1 Like