Maximum capacity of AF

Some people say they can’t do AF if the gap to clarity is more than 0.25 D.
Some say they easily clear 0.50 D and even consent to clear 0.75 D.

And other say they clear up even by whopping 1.50 D.
Those who clear 1.50 D, why don’t you wear glasses weaker by 1.50 D?

1 Like

I’m one of those. I don’t wear that weak glasses because the 1.50 D is only “peak AF”. So I cannot sustain it and I cannot rely on it in everyday life. It just occasionally works after a lot of trying and only last for a few seconds. Doing that all the time would just strain me.

1 Like

My normalised are currently -3.75. In good light I can clear up my vision with no glasses. I can’t hold sharpness for long with that much AF compensation, but “semi-clear” is achievable for a good while. There’s a caveat of some ghosting/dv that comes with that much AF.

With differentials (-3) I can usually clear up everything at distance but I need to be paying attention on focusing. In day to day life it gets a little tedious to constantly deal with blur, so the normalised pair is used.

I’m in the . 25 diopter and under range for AF. I can’t imagine having 1.5 diopters of AF. I question if we are all really talking about the same thing at times.

3 Likes

Interesting, I also was able to clear my vision when I was -3 back in 2011.
To 20/30 usually, but honestly I don’t believe it’s AF in either cases. It’s a “contact lens effect”.

Although you may have only “pseudo” myopia, who knows…

I use a gold standrard by Laurens in defining AF.

Everything outside very probably is not AF. And perhaps you would not want to risk the ineffective stimulus to stop potential gains… So I guess I would not replace this dubious “AF” with a usual AF if I have any.

1 Like

For some people muscles fire up with AF automatically. The cure for this would be what is called “muscle dissociation” in rehab. E.g. when you flex your feet you automatically flex the toes towards you, too. When you point the feet, you curl your feet towards your soles. In knee rehab there is an exercise when you have to flex your feet but curl the toes, and also point the feet but flex the toes. For most people the muscles are so automated that it takes time to do it the non-usual way. Then the feet protest by cramping. But if somebody learns to dissociate the automations, it usually decreases knee pains caused by incorrect muscle association.