Measuring Astigmatism

Lately, my astigmatism feels more and more pronounced. I’ve come to the conclusion that my nearsightedness has improved at a faster rate, thus making the vertical ghosting more obvious. I’ve started to believe that there is no residual sphere, but I’m finding it difficult to measure, and I might be wrong. This leads me to conclude that astigmatism can’t always be measured the same way we measure sphere. Here’s why:

Without any corrective lenses, the ghosting image starts at approx. 40 cm when measuring on the “FOCUS” text. Further, if I put on -1.00 lenses the ghosting starts at 42-43 cm. But what surprised me the most is that with +1.00 lenses it starts at almost the same distance, 39-40 cm. If you were to convert this to diopters, the results would be dramatically different.

Additionally, it seems that the tinier the dot I look at, the closer the ghosting starts. So I guess my astigmatism actually is present at all distances, but it’s not noticable unless the pixel is similarly tiny.

Regarding sphere, where normal blur starts to appear is even more difficult to measure, but what I do know is that my old -1.25(sph)/-1.0(cyl) glasses give me supersharp vision and seem too strong.

So, too much information … But can anyone explain to me why this might be happening? Is accomodation counteracting it? And does this imply that astigmatism preferably should be measured with a test lens kit, not centimeters?

It could be difficult to figure out the astigmatism with test lens kit.
I was not even sure which degree my astigmatism has.
So I kind of gave up to figure it out with test lens kit.
Now I have the EyeQue VisionCheck and with its help I could test and confirm
the cylinder data.
Of course a visit to an eye doctor would help also.
Anyway the only way I would test cylinder data is with the snellen chart in 6 meter distance and a test lens kit.
The cylinder diopters must be reduced if you look closer like the sphere diopters, so these diopters are not the “real 20/20 vision diopters”, which VisionCheck or the eye doctor would measure.

Ghosting usually happens when your brain hasn’t caught up with the biological change of your eyes when you’re reducing lenses. It will resolve itself, give it time. It’s hard to measure astigmatism accurately without going in to the optometerist and even then their machines aren’t 100% accurate. Be patient and let the image resolve itself. You can also AF a digital clock at night to help you clear up that ghosting or candles help too.

1 Like