My 3 year old kid got Myopia

Hello Everyone,

Last week my 3 year old kid diagonalized with compound myopic astigmatism. He got -2 SPH and 1.75 CYL for both eyes. He is a full term baby and we both parents has no glasses till now.
Ophthalmologist said that it is not reversible and he need to put glasses all the time.

We are so depressed and not able to digest he got it at this very young age. It was our fault that we didn’t take him out doors for the past 3 months and he had more screen time all these days.
While searching online I found this site and I got hope after seeing many success stories where people were able to reverse Myopia.
Now my question is can we do any thing to fix his eyes? We have completely stopped the screen time. Initially he was squinting his eyes a lot and now it it reduced after taking him out doors every day.
He is yet start wearing glasses. I am planning to take him for another vision test to see if there is any improvement. Not sure if I am expecting too much

1 Like

You do not show what the notation is for the cylinder - positive or negative. This makes a big difference in how ‘serious’ his myopia is. Was it only an autorefractor test, or also a test lens follow up? It is quite difficult to measure the vision of very young children.

It is probably not only your allowing him too much screen time and not enough outdoor time that is the cause of the myopia and astigmatism. It is still entirely possible that he will outgrow some of it, as the eyes are still growing and adjusting. I would certainly get a second opinion before putting glasses on his nose full time. Good luck on this journey.

I do want to remind you that no-one on the forum is an expert, and you must consider things very carefully before you make decisions for your child.

5 Likes

thank you very much for the response.

My bad it was a typo. it is -1.75 CYL on both eyes. Yeah It is autorefractor test. and they gave the prescription for both Myopia and Astigmatism.

Unfortunately we both parents had zero knowledge on this topic and still learning about this. I see that Astigmatism is very common in in 3-6 years kids and most of them out grow it. But he also got Myopia at the same time which made it verse I believe.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
This makes me so sad. I just recently met a 1 year old wearing glasses full time for astigmatism and “some” myopia, his parents weren’t even sure what the numbers were. Like @Ursa said, I would definitely get a second (and third!) opinion before starting with the glasses. I think you’re off on a great start with your approach of no screens and more outdoor time and i would definitely give that some time to help him improve. I have two toddlers myself and I like to implement different distance vision activities into our day, like spotting birds and planes, naming the shapes of the clouds, throwing rocks and sticks in the river etc. In general i would say if the child is not suffering without the glasses, he doesn’t need them. But obviously do not take my advice. Only you and your partner know your child, better than any doctor or anyone on the internet. I’m so glad to see parents on here who are aware and willing to figure this out for their child instead of just taking the doctor’s orders as truth. I wish you much success in this journey for your toddler. :pray:t3:

6 Likes

Thank you very much for your kind words. I just wish that it would go away on its own but I know that I am expecting too much. Too sad that this Covid ruining people’s lives one way or the other way.

Without knowing how the prescription was determined, I’d be hesitant to use glasses. Even with 2 diopters myopia, the worst that means is 50cm furthest clarity distance. How does that negativity affects your child? Likely not at all at this age.

It’s easy for a kid to say “that is sharper” while requiring significant accommodation leading to a stronger than accurate prescription, for a variety of reasons (including the fact we actually do see slightly sharper when engaging the ciliary muscles a fair bit). I wouldn’t trust any prescription based on feedback from a child, and the automatic methods are also fallible (I personally got an autorefractor to show my prescription half a diopter better with active focus last year)

I’d go no glasses until they’re old enough for you to be able to chat with them properly about eyesight and are able to talk them through your own test. Eyes keep growing at their age so I doubt the prescription is set in stone. Once at their age, if they still need glasses, use them for distance only, IMO.

6 Likes

Either way what makes perfect sense and is part of the method here is at least avoid the glasses use for close up vision. The kid can see sharp enough for close up anyway

3 Likes

thank you. I am still trying to understand this whole thing. I really want to avoid the glasses for now but they say it could get worse if he won’t put the glasses all the time. I want to make sure it is not true.
For the last 3 months he stayed indoors all the time and played with iPad a lot. His other activities were also closed focus activities like building blocks, painting etc. 2 weeks ago he started squinting his eyes and it was more when wakes up from the sleep. Then I got realized and completely stopped the screen time and started taking him out doors every day for few hours. Now squinting got reduced a lot. Not sure if I can consider it as an improvement.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s improvement. Good work.

I hate that they tell us to wear glasses all the time starting out. Nothing could be worse advice in that situation.

6 Likes

I agree, to me it sounds like a case of pseudomyopia, which will get worse and worse with glasses use. Especially for close up. The fact that he is squinting less is definitely a sign of improvement, keep up the good work! :raised_hands:t3:

4 Likes

@r2m

I’m sad to hear that about your kid.
My advice would to go see another opthamologist for a second opinion.

My story might give you some perspective.
I have a three year old child as well. We went to the optometrist and of course they convinced us to buy glasses because our child was +2.

We then went to an well respected opthomologist that was much more reasonable in his response.
He told us that children’s eyes change dramatically before the age of three. Sometimes changing by multiple diopters. Between the age of 3-5 the eyes are still changing quite dramatically as well.

So the opthamologist tested our child’s eyes and confirmed that she was +2. BUT then he told us to wait 6 months and come back to check her eyes again.
Six months later of course her eyes were much better and closer to 20/20.
The opthamologist then told us that she didn’t need glasses.

My point is that at this age it is well recognised that children’s eye change dramatically and you should find an opthamologist that knows this and will support you.

Secondly don’t ever trust an optometrist with your children’s eye health.

7 Likes