My Introduction & How I plan to get started

Hi everyone,

my name is Marlen. I’m a 22 year-old student from Germany. English is not my first language so please bear with me if I make any mistakes.

Here’s my myopia story: I got my first pair of glasses when I was around 13 or 14 years old. If I remember correctly, they had -0.5 diopters on the right and -2 diopters on the left. I’ve always hated my glasses and only wore them if I had to, for example when I had to read the blackboard at school or when driving a car. Still, my eyesight worsened over the years, probably because I spent a lot of time on the internet and in front of screens when I was a teenager. Online studies don’t make it any better.

In January this year, I went to my optometrist and she measured that my right eye had dropped from -1,25 to -2,5 in the past two years. I was devastated and realized I didn’t want to continue living like this. So I started researching how to improve my eyesight in a natural way and after stumbling across various gurus who didn’t make any sense, I found EM. I’ve been watching Jake’s videos and read some of his blogposts and I want to give improving my eyesight with EM a try.

My current prescription glasses have
R Sph -2,25 / Cyl -0,25 / 170
L Sph -4,25 / Cyl -0,75 / 8

I know I’m overcorrected because I have a “Visus” of 1.5 with my glasses on (that’s how we measure eyesight in Germany, Wikipedia said it’s a little better than 20/15). I also measured my eyesight with the EM app and the results were -1,7 diopters for the right eye and -3,5 for the left one.

Now my plan is the following: A visit at the optometrist to get my glasses adjusted to 20/20 (or even 20/25? I’m not sure… I’d still be allowed to drive with those glasses. What’s the better option?). Then, I plan to get differentials (-1,25 diopters less than my corrected prescription glasses since I’ll probably drop my cylinder). I’ll leave it at that for 4-6 weeks and then I’m going to start working with normalized glasses and try to find active focus. Other than that, I want to follow the 20-20-20 rule and spend more time outside. Since I don’t go outside very much at the moment, I’ll try one hour a day for a start. Things I like to do outside are horseback riding, going for walks and going for hikes.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this community!

8 Likes

First and foremost, your English is quite the wonder for someone whose English is not her first language :slight_smile:

I would strongly suggest that you start to find active focus up close first. Most of us here in Endmyopia have found active focus in close-up rather than at distance. This is because when you’re a mid-high myope (say, -2 dioptres and above), your blur horizon is very likely within the reach of your hands. So, a pushing focus is what people start off with, i.e. holding a printed text and pushing it away until it gets very tinily blurry, and then blink and see if you can clear it up. Only when you have gotten the hang of this can you start pulling focus with your normalised. But, it does not mean that you cannot find active focus with normalised. But I’d suggest you try to find active focus now and not have to wait for your normalised to start trying!

Welcome! You’re in for a ride :smiley:

2 Likes

All the very best, read lots, don’t make hasty decisions. Enjoy the trip

1 Like

First and foremost, your English is quite the wonder for someone whose English is not her first language :slight_smile:

Thank you, that’s nice to hear! :slight_smile:

I would strongly suggest that you start to find active focus up close first. Most of us here in Endmyopia have found active focus in close-up rather than at distance. This is because when you’re a mid-high myope (say, -2 dioptres and above), your blur horizon is very likely within the reach of your hands. So, a pushing focus is what people start off with, i.e. holding a printed text and pushing it away until it gets very tinily blurry, and then blink and see if you can clear it up. Only when you have gotten the hang of this can you start pulling focus with your normalised. But, it does not mean that you cannot find active focus with normalised. But I’d suggest you try to find active focus now and not have to wait for your normalised to start trying!

Thanks, that actually makes way more sense that the method I thought of. I think I’ve had active focus before but I didn’t know the concept back then. I’ll keep trying of course. After the blink, it just clears up for a few milliseconds though.

1 Like

This is how it starts. Just make sure your eyes are doing the work and you aren’t relying on the hard blink. It gets easier with time. Also EM students have channels too you might find helpful, this is mine: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHkyr8O-4jeRM2cvAOQKbFw
Welcome to the community.

1 Like