My introduction with first questions

Hi, I’m Amy and eager to start my EndMyopia plan! I have an optometrist that is willing to assist with my prescription requests as I’m a contact wearer. (I’m self-prescribing to him.) Without discussing specific diopters, I will outline where I am today, on the verge of ordering my first normalized contacts and glasses. Am asking for any and all input to help me get this right. Thank you!
*I’m high myopia
*After 5 weeks of wearing an older eyeglass script due to contact irritation, my eyes have normalized. I’ve been able to use a trial contact in L eye that is -1.50 diopters less than prescribed in January. (R eye remaining the same as it has been prescribed to allow for close up vision so it already has a distance blur horizon.) I can drive during the day with this lower diopter with a slight blur line (20/40). Is this a good place to start? I don’t want to over reduce as this seems like a big difference.
*Question about close-I can see my laptop screen fine. Do I attempt to blur this with + glasses? Other close up reading, books, labels…I can adjust the distance to blur a little. How much blur? I don’t want to induce too much eye strain.
*Glasses- When I convert the above normalized contact script to glasses, I end up with a normalized glasses script that is R eye -1.0 diopter; L eye -1.75 diopter lower than old eye glasses which allow me 20/25 vision. Does this appear to be too large of a drop, especially for the L eye? I will order through Zenni, so not too expensive for trial and error.
Thanks in advance or everyone’s input!

1 Like

I think starting at the 20/40 line for your first pair of norms is a good place to start. You may have to play around with it. You probably want to wear this glasses till your vision is pretty good with it since you’ll be driving.

The amount of blur does not matter that much. The close up adjustment is just to make sure your vision doesn’t get worse from excessive close-up use, especially 2D close up. Otherwise, whatever is comfortable is fine. Personally, I wear -1.5s for norms. And have been wearing -.5s for diffs for about 5 weeks now and just dropped my diffs to -.25. I wear the diffs when I’m going to be home all day or in front of the PC all day.

I don’t really understand what drop you made. On the one hand it sounds like you dropped -1 D right and -1.75 D left which sounds like a massive drop. On the other it sounds like you’re used to wearing an older eyeglass script already. So, if you know the prescription of your older eyeglass script, just reduce from there since you’re already accustomed to it . Maybe wait till your vision gets better with it.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

If I read your post correctly you were corrected for distance vision in one eye and for close-up vision in the other eye. If you are used to using your eyes like this, it will be an additional journey back to using the eyes the same way which we encourage here at EM.

When it comes to driving I’m very conservative and others, too. Most of us keep an additional -0.5D stronger glasses in the car to make sure we haven’t misjudged our visual acuity. You cannot ruin your eyesight by wearing a bit more correction for driving, but you can ruin lives by misjudging the blur level.

You say you are a high myope and with that the drops can be higher (measured and done by 0.5Ds instead of the usual 0.25Ds), so anything is possible.

It is difficult to form an opinion on how much is too much.
But surely you have read enough to understand that we baseline vision on the opto prescription (preferably a fresh one, if not available then on the last worn pair of opto glasses before the opto suggested increasing diopters again).

So the opto full prescription is recommended to be used for driving or for any situation when immediate 20/20ish vision is needed.
For other distance vision time, it is recommended to wear normalised glasses which is a pair of correction giving 20/40ish on the Snellen in the evening at artificial ligths and better than that during the day (or 20/50ish depending on the tolerance for perceived blur) . This is typically 0.25D or 0.5D less than the full correction.
Having said that as the original opto prescription usually has some overcorrection to better than 20/20 vision, so the first reduction can be more. But the point is to be able to bring things into focus, to be comfortable to walk around and cross the road in normalised glasses.
For anything closer than arm’s length the recommendation is to wear differentials. It should be adjusted to your most common close up activity. Most of us work in front of a screen 8 to 10 hours, so adjust differentials to that. If you spend the majority of your day without a screen, you may want to adjust differentials to the typical distance for your job / typical activity. Glasses should be lowered to give you clarity at that typical distance and then you should try to hold everything close-up at about that distance. E.g. if you choose differentials for monitor set up at 55cms, you should use the differentials for reading, too, and push the books away to that distance, too. This distance can be anything between the very minimum of 50cms to 90cms. And depending on which end of the scale you are aiming for, this can be a drop from -1D to -2D. It is usual to go for a 65-70cm distance and a -1.5D difference.
But everyone is unique, Zenni glasses are cheap, so you will need to take some time to figure out the best first pairs of glasses. Comfort is always subjective.

2 Likes

This is a personal choice situation, personally I think less correction than 20/32 is too much blur for Normz, some people like more challenge and go as much as 20/50, in my experience that is a full diopter below full correction and too much for full time. I get that in my Diffs and do use them outside on a sunny day for a little while but after that I give my eyes a break and switch to correction I can actively clear blur in without causing undue strain.

Also agree with Bianca you should consider the steps to reverse this before long:

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback. Am happy to say I have my first pair of normalized contacts to work with. Zenni glasses are in route. I need to give my eyes a break from wearing contacts all the time, so need glasses to work with as well.

1 Like