My keys to long term improvement

Hi fellow kittens! Here’s a video on the things that have helped me move from -5.00 to -0.75 in 4 1/2 years.

38 Likes

This is a great video! Love the bit on the human experience!

You briefly mentioned winter darkness, and how you want to wait for spring for the next step forward. Was a winter slowdown in improvement a common pattern for you? My progress has been unimpressive recently. Then again, winter is dark, and it’s often overcast too. I sometimes worry if I’m doing anything wrong, or if that’s just a disadvantage of winter.

1 Like

Great video Matt, good and functional real life stuff on how this works. Kudos for making such a great informative video yet again! :pray:

@Varakari, it’s slowing down pretty much for everyone in the northern hemisphere I’m guessing. I’m really slowing down myself. But still, little moments of clarity at dawn for instance keep me going and are telling me that under the surface, things are changing for the better, even though they are really hard to notice and qualify/quantify. I’m using my -1 a lot more now because there is just that less lighting available.

If you keep providing stimulus that is clearable things will progress, but it might be that we’ll see the big difference by spring and not during the darker months.

4 Likes

The winter slowdown, on average, seems to be the pattern. Individual experience still varies.

For where I am right now, the toughest environment tends to be indoor florescent lighting. That’s what we have in the office. Productive stimulus best happens outside. It gets light at about 7:30 AM right now, so I have some light for the drive to work. It’s dark when I leave to go home, so it’s tough to get any distance stimulus after work.

With that said, even though improvements don’t tend to show up as much during the winter, you can still practice good habits. I think that we can still stimulate improvements during the winter, but it’s hard to see those improvements until the longer daylight hours of spring. Example: yesterday was kind of a crap vision day for me. Still, at about 9:30 PM I got a 10 minute clear flash out of my right eye (non-dominant) where I could read down to 20/30, no glasses, in florescent light only. It happens, but it’s quite unpredictable.

One thing I’ve seen from the years I’ve done this and from reading comments: improvements are not linear. You could go 4 or 5 months and feel like nothing is happening, then BAM! one day you wake up and everything is so much clearer it feels like you ADDED 0.25 diopters. Just keep up with the good habits and vision will improve over time.

10 Likes

Thanks, Laurens! I plan to keep beating this drum and doing my best to encourage others to stick it out.

Thanks @Laurens @MattE for your reassuring words! Good to hear that this is normal and improvement usually gets back up to speed later.

I’ll keep doing vision walks and measuring. Maybe it’ll pick up again once there’s more snow and sunshine, that should get the brightness up.

2 Likes

Glad to offer some encouragement! We’re all in this together.

2 Likes

Thank you matthewEly for giving us a great amount of motivation… I really appreciate it.Thank you.wish you much love, God bless.:grinning:

1 Like

I really enjoy your videos too. And agree that winter really slows things down on the vision improvement front. I think that is a very good thing to know this actually happens so we don’t become discouraged.

Your latest video is great! Thanks Matt!

2 Likes

Thank you Matt for your videos and also your comments here, they are all really inspiring and uplifting!

Glad to! Keep thinking, small changes over time add up.

Appreciate the feedback. More stuff coming toward the end of December

You’re welcome! As stated, small changes add up.

Thank you Matt, 3 things I got from this:

1. If you are committed to vision improvement, if its something you really want you will just do it as part of your core values.
  2. Progress can be slow and rocky but if you have the commitment you will get improvements over the long term
  3. Keep a vision dairy to track thoughts and progress.

My progress is slow but I have all the above so I will get there I’m sure :). Thanks again James.

2 Likes

Glad it helped! Small changes over time add up to big changes.

hi @MattE thank you for the video

in the video you say you had really long plateau because you reduced too fast. what do you mean by that? what exactly you did wrong and how would you act differently? and how at the end it worked out despite the problem? thanks…

Sometime, I’ll have to post my whole history of reductions from -5.00 to present to explain more fully. Basically, Jake has said that we should limit the initial reduction to one diopter, and from there, only reduce by 0.25 each time even if it feels like we could go faster.

I did multiple reductions that reduced more than 0.25 and reduced spherical and cylinder at the same time. What I didn’t realize then, is that seeing clearly for 3 months out of a reduction is a good thing and it’s giving the biology the time it needs to prepare for the next reduction. I’ve mapped it out, and as I can tell, if I had stuck to the slower pace, I would be in exactly the same spot in terms of diopters and acuity that I am now.

I’ve hesitated on creating a post sharing the actual numbers because it is more of a “pro topic.” Perhaps some collaboration with the other moderators / Jake would be helpful in turning it into something productive.

As for everyone, the history also goes into some details of my life that I previously didn’t want to put online.

Shorter answer: take off a diopter in the first three months, then stick to 0.25 diopter reductions every 3 -4 months. Reducing faster won’t cause faster progress.

6 Likes

Wow I didn’t realize the answer was under my nose. I have been experiencing very fast improvements, and am inadvertently getting a bit of that diopter angst. It makes a lot of sense to spend extra time to let the body catch up, as painful as it might feel to hang onto glasses at times.

I think I have room for one more reduction come January, and I’ll take yours and Jake’s advice to slow it down even if it seems like things are sailing smooth.

One question: I was planning to stagger reductions as [normalized > wait 6-8 weeks > differential > wait 6-8 weeks > repeat]. When you say waiting 3 months out of a reduction, would this reduction plan work fine? I was always a little confused about whether reductions applied to each individual focal plane (normalized & differential) separately.

2 Likes

It’s quite easy to do! It seems like everything is clear enough, we keep pressing, and then one day, the vision just doesn’t work right anymore. We have to remember that the point is seeing clearly, so spending extra time with correction that works well isn’t going to slow long term progress. And trust me, I say this because I made plenty of mistakes! I think that if we had really deep knowledge and appreciation of what has to happen in our eyes and brains to undo all this myopia, we’d marvel at the changes we’re asking our system to make. Some of the more technical folks on the forum can probably state that in a more “sciency” way.

Regarding the staggered reductions, as far as I know, that’s the way to do it. I skipped over the differentials altogether and went without glasses to read. Shouldn’t have done that, either!

8 Likes

just to be sure, you mean to wait the whole 3 months after reduction or do you mean counting the 3 months from the poing you are seeing clear with the reduction?